Are the Rays for Real?

After sweeping the Red Sox, the Rays are now three and a half games ahead in the AL East, and the season is a little more than halfway over. In all honesty, who saw this coming?

Do they have any chance at all to make the playoffs? My gut says no; that there are any number of teams that should finish ahead of the Rays. But they are playing some mighty good baseball right now.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't remember anyone saying that they would be vying for the best record in baseball prior to the start of the season. Oh, I heard some folks say that they'd be improved if their young pitching matured, etc. etc. But 20 games over .500 in early July???

Their late inning pitching has been superb, but they are now facing some serious injury issues there. I'll be watching what they do on the trade market closely...

Isn't it about time for some moves to be made, or is it usually after the All-Star break when we see this? Steve Phillips was on Mike and Mike Wednesday morning with a rundown of players he thought would be on the trading block.

Yes, the Rays are for real. If they were just streaking and winning games just because everyone else was off to slow starts then I could not say this. But like alluded to, the season is over halfway over, so this is a sign of their legitimicy rather than just putting together a good month. They are very young, very talented, can hit for average, hit for power, and most importantly (and unlike before) they can pitch. You got to think, with all the top draft picks they have accumulated over the years, its not hard to see why they have ended up with such a good squad based on the prospects they have. I know it is tough to grasp (I still have trouble myself) because it is the Rays'. But they are for real!!!!

P.S.......The Rays do make the playoffs, more than likely as a wild card, with the Sox winning the division and with the Yanks finishing at least 5 or more games away from them in third place. Barring injury, the Rays do have the staying power to remain, and this is mainly thanks to the way they have been pitching, fielding, and scoring runs. Like said its not coincidence they are doing all of this at the same time, it is just believe it or not they are actually this good. Dominating series wins over the Sox and Cubs should prove this.

I watched most of last night's game on TV. I thought they announced the attendance in the mid to high 30's; pretty nice for a Wednesday game in Tampa. It will be interesting to see if the local following stays at that kind of level; and also if the team picks up more of a national fan base with respect to merchandise sales, etc.

Although "Rays Nation" just doesn't have that ring to it...

Isn't it about time for some moves to be made, or is it usually after the All-Star break when we see this? Steve Phillips was on Mike and Mike Wednesday morning with a rundown of players he thought would be on the trading block.

Trading deadline is the end of July. It's not uncommon to see trades right now, but you're right, you'll see more in the couple weeks following the All-Star Game.

I started to post a thread asking this same question last night. I believe that the Rays have the pitching to stay late in the in the race. The BoSox and yes, the Yankees will make runs and strong ones at that. I don't know if they(Rays) will fold at the end or not but they are fun to watch play baseball, have a load of talent and are very well managed.

(the Rays would be a lot more fun to watch if they weren't in the same division with my Yankees this year :D, the Red Sox have been the only ones that the Yanks have needed to concern themselves with untill this season)

Would baseball as we know it come to an end if the Yankees and Red Sox both werent in the playoffs?

Not at all...At least not for me. I love this Rays Team, they have a good mixture of vets, and some real young studs. 94 stolen bases thus far as a Team, that's very unusual for an AL club. Not that it will happen, but if Griffey is going to be traded, I wouldn't mind seeing him go to the Rays.

There's alot of Baseball to be played, but how ironic would it be to see a Rays, Cubs WS? Sweet Low against his old Team...I'll go with the Rays if that happend.:thumb: