• Barry Bonds
    • A-Rod
    • Ken Griffey
    • Someone else

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't ever wonder how many of his homers sans juice would've just been routine fly balls? Boy, I sure do. Not to mention how many he hit when he should've been on the DL nursing the normal injuries an aging veteran suffers.

Oh don't get me wrong - I'm not supporting him as a juiced player. The question to start the thread though was "with or without steroids..." If that is the basis of the question, I have to go with Bonds. If we look at guys that we are pretty sure are steroid free, then I'll go with Griffey. My personal favorite and the guy I tracked growing up was Eddie Murray. :thumb:

Just out of curiosity, I did some quick calulations on the top all-time HR leaders and their HR per AB ratios:

PLAYER....... HR ...... AB/HR

McGwire.......583...... 10.6

Ruth............714..... 11.7

Bonds......... 762...... 12.9

Thome........ 520...... 13.5

A-Rod......... 528...... 14.2

Killebrew...... 573...... 14.2

Sosa........... 609...... 14.4

Ramirez....... 505....... 14.4

Williams....... 521....... 14.7

Griffey......... 600....... 15.0

Mantle......... 536....... 15.1

Fox............. 534....... 15.2

Schmidt....... 548....... 15.2

Aaron.......... 755....... 16.3

Mays........... 660....... 16.4

Robinson...... 586 ...... 17.0

Palmeiro....... 569....... 18.3 :rolleyes: :irked: :laugh:

Jackson....... 563....... 18.4

Funny, but people tend to forget about this guy named Ruth when talking about the greatest HR hitter ever.

And is there a baseball fan alive that does not want to see Palmeiro's name forever stricken from any baseball book/record???

Edited by cooperstown

Just out of curiosity, I did some quick calulations on the top all-time HR leaders and their HR per AB ratios:

PLAYER....... HR ...... AB/HR

McGwire.......583...... 10.6

Ruth............714..... 11.7

Bonds......... 762...... 12.9

Thome........ 520...... 13.5

A-Rod......... 528...... 14.2

Killebrew...... 573...... 14.2

Sosa........... 609...... 14.4

Ramirez....... 505....... 14.4

Williams....... 521....... 14.7

Griffey......... 600....... 15.0

Mantle......... 536....... 15.1

Fox............. 534....... 15.2

Schmidt....... 548....... 15.2

Aaron.......... 755....... 16.3

Mays........... 660....... 16.4

Robinson...... 586 ...... 17.0

Palmeiro....... 569....... 18.3 :rolleyes: :irked: :laugh:

Jackson....... 563....... 18.4

Funny, but people tend to forget about this guy named Ruth when talking about the greatest HR hitter ever.

And is there a baseball fan alive that does not want to see Palmeiro's name forever sticken from any baseball book/record???

I took a look at some others.

Pujols is 14.3

Ryan Howard is 11.8

Adam Dunn is 13.9

I took a look at some others.

Pujols is 14.3

Ryan Howard is 11.8

Adam Dunn is 13.9

Yep, if they can keep it up. Keep in mind that none of them are even in the top 100 HR hitters of all-time as of yet, which is why I didn't really look at them. I'm sure the average starts to dip considerbly as you get later in your career. Well, unless they are able to juice themselves up. ;)

Yep, if they can keep it up. Keep in mind that none of them are even in the top 100 HR hitters of all-time as of yet, which is why I didn't really look at them. I'm sure the average starts to dip considerbly as you get later in your career. Well, unless they are able to juice themselves up. ;)

:thumb: Agreed. I was just bored and looking at some others.

Maybe, but in half of that 15 years we may be calling ARod the best to ever swing a bat...

Very true. Chase can put the ball out of the park pretty well for his size and really any size. But as far as homeruns and pure hitting go I am taking at Pujols and A-rod way before Chase.

Bonds... Even with steroids, the ability to hit major league pitching that solid as consistent as he did is just unbelievable. I still can't believe how many times he'd be intentionally walked 2 or 3 times in a game and pitched around another time and the one at-bat he sees something to hit ... he'd hit it out. I am not trying to argue with the fact that he used steroids or anything like that, but he was incredible to watch.