U of L 7on7

Orca1

JD Dog I think you need to think a little deeper than you may able to. If a team decides not play against a team in that situation it could be because they believe the risk is not worth the payoff(A 7 on 7 trophy?).

So instead of making bold protestations against a coaches decision, why don't you offer something of value.

:irked:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JD Dog I think you need to think a little deeper than you may able to. If a team decides not play against a team in that situation it could be because they believe the risk is not worth the payoff(A 7 on 7 trophy?).

So instead of making bold protestations against a coaches decision, why don't you offer something of value.

:irked:

I did it just to get reaction from the boys on here it worked...

As far as thinking deeper than I am able to.............wow I don't think I would be able to use protestations in a sentence such as yourself.

As to the 7on7's in helmets or not..

Based on experience (freak accidents with helmets bursting thigh blood vessels notwithstanding), I think Coach Glaser made the right call by not letting his kids play without helmets.

We encountered a similar situation at U. of Cincinnati a few years back where they told us NOBODY could use helmets at their tournament. We left that day with THREE kids suffering concussions as a result of their heads hitting the turf with no protection.

Obviously, a helmet CAN become something dangerous when it comes into contact with a non-protected part of the body. But I'd say the kinds of things that could cause helmet-to-body contact injuries are rare. Even in GAMES, where blocking and tackling are actually taking place -- putting the helmet MUCH more into contact with other players -- think of how little of the body is actually protected with padding and open to a helmet-to-body injury.

In 7on7's, when kids are leaping as high as they can and very often coming down on the ground and when there are two or more kids running at full speed at head-to-head level to get to a ball, the FAR more likely injuries are head-to-ground and head-to-head contact. Add in facemasks to protect the jaw, eyes, and teeth and to me it's a no-brainer not to compete in this kind of contest without a helmet.

If Texas has a rule prohibiting helmet-use in June, I'd say that has more to do with keeping teams from doing some kind of illegal practicing than protecting the kids' safety in 7on7's. Otherwise, I think they should look closely at changing their rule.

Good points...

I agree on the call to forfeit as well. If they play all summer that way, it's not realistic to expect your kids to lose the helmets for one or two games of one weekend. You're setting yourself up for injury, for an event that means virtually nothing. Honestly, it's kinda hard to believe they at least don't carry their helmets with them, just in case. Like riding a motercycle across country, ya never know what the rules are from state to state.

The team from Bowie is traveling all summer playing in these tournaments. They'll play nearly every weekend. I still think they would win vs St X, since that's not the strong point of the local teams.

Yes lets not get stupid here and a far as the injury garbage I had a very good friend almost loose his leg because of a Helmet only work out and a DB lost his footing and My friend a WR took that DB's helmet to his thigh bursting a blood vessel and ending my friends career not to mention almost costing him his leg so there are arguments for both. I would prefer for the 7 0n 7 to be shorts, shirts and cleets only.:thumb:

Why did UL allow the teams from TX in w/out helmets? It seems to me that they should have to forfeit with out helmets rather than a local team with helmets. If UL wanted no helmets, they should have made that a policy before every team signed up. Then, all would be on the same playing field, or, possibly UL just wanted their recruits here and did not care about safety.

It will be addressed next year or UL will not have many local participants.