U of L 7on7

Orca1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the team was actually Arlington Bowie, they are a 5A power (recently) that had some really nice size and smaller players with quickness. QB did a decent job and I was told he was hotly recruited by many D-1 teams including U of L.

I understand St. Xavier forfeited in the semi-finals to the Trinity Trojans of Euless, Texas. Trinity is the defending AAAAA Texas state champs. Apparently Coach Kragthorpe failed to remind the Texans to bring their helmets and Coach Glaser did not want to risk injury and have his Tigers play helmetless. I understand U of L is recruiting one or two of the Trojans and invited them to this tourney.

Are you sure it was an helmet issue or did he not want to go against the name "Trinity"?

There is a definite risk of injury. Though touch a lot can happen out there. Holy Cross also decided not to play them. By the way it was Bowie not Trinity. Hazard, Simon Kenton, Male, St X and Southwestern did pretty well.

There were two teams that stood out from the rest this past weekend the team from Arlington, TX (Bowie) and the team from Roanoke, VA. The TX team brought more athletes than all the other schools combined, but the VA school only had eight kids playing both ways and by far had the best QB of the day.

Now for the helmet issue that was brought up earlier, NO they did not forget there helmets in TX. They are not allowed to wear helmets during the off season TX high school rule. The reason the KY school did not want to play them is simple they were out athletic in every position by the TX team. Lets not make excuses the team had it all speed, size and attitude.

The KY teams that I think played well that I saw were Male, John Hardin, Hazard and Manual. Hard to judge how a team will do from 7 on 7 but it does let you know who has speed. Male and John Hardin from what I could tell had speed in more than one position with over all team speed greater than the rest of the teams from KY. Just my thoughts sure there were more teams that performed well just did not get the opportunity to see them.

There were two teams that stood out from the rest this past weekend the team from Arlington, TX (Bowie) and the team from Roanoke, VA. The TX team brought more athletes than all the other schools combined, but the VA school only had eight kids playing both ways and by far had the best QB of the day.

Now for the helmet issue that was brought up earlier, NO they did not forget there helmets in TX. They are not allowed to wear helmets during the off season TX high school rule. The reason the KY school did not want to play them is simple they were out athletic in every position by the TX team. Lets not make excuses the team had it all speed, size and attitude.

The KY teams that I think played well that I saw were Male, John Hardin, Hazard and Manual. Hard to judge how a team will do from 7 on 7 but it does let you know who has speed. Male and John Hardin from what I could tell had speed in more than one position with over all team speed greater than the rest of the teams from KY. Just my thoughts sure there were more teams that performed well just did not get the opportunity to see them.

Yes lets not get stupid here and a far as the injury garbage I had a very good friend almost loose his leg because of a Helmet only work out and a DB lost his footing and My friend a WR took that DB's helmet to his thigh bursting a blood vessel and ending my friends career not to mention almost costing him his leg so there are arguments for both. I would prefer for the 7 0n 7 to be shorts, shirts and cleets only.:thumb:

The reason the KY school did not want to play them is simple they were out athletic in every position by the TX team. Lets not make excuses the team had it all speed, size and attitude.

Are you insinuating that X backed down from a team?

For anyone interested:

The Massey Ratings had Arlington-Bowie as the #5 team in the entire state of Texas OVERALL last year. They finished 12-2 and lost to eventual 5A State Champ Euless Trinity (Possibly the #1 team in the country last year) 21-14 in the 3rd Round of the playoffs.

As Falcon previously noted, Holy Cross also did not play them.

I just think an insinuation of X backing down from any team is very bold considering that year in, year out they play one of, if not the toughest schedule of anyone in the state.

As Falcon previously noted, Holy Cross also did not play them.

I just think an insinuation of X backing down from any team is very bold considering that year in, year out they play one of, if not the toughest schedule of anyone in the state.

Holy Cross.... St. X.... what's up with the Catholics nowadays...geez?!?!?!? haha

As to the 7on7's in helmets or not..

Based on experience (freak accidents with helmets bursting thigh blood vessels notwithstanding), I think Coach Glaser made the right call by not letting his kids play without helmets.

We encountered a similar situation at U. of Cincinnati a few years back where they told us NOBODY could use helmets at their tournament. We left that day with THREE kids suffering concussions as a result of their heads hitting the turf with no protection.

Obviously, a helmet CAN become something dangerous when it comes into contact with a non-protected part of the body. But I'd say the kinds of things that could cause helmet-to-body contact injuries are rare. Even in GAMES, where blocking and tackling are actually taking place -- putting the helmet MUCH more into contact with other players -- think of how little of the body is actually protected with padding and open to a helmet-to-body injury.

In 7on7's, when kids are leaping as high as they can and very often coming down on the ground and when there are two or more kids running at full speed at head-to-head level to get to a ball, the FAR more likely injuries are head-to-ground and head-to-head contact. Add in facemasks to protect the jaw, eyes, and teeth and to me it's a no-brainer not to compete in this kind of contest without a helmet.

If Texas has a rule prohibiting helmet-use in June, I'd say that has more to do with keeping teams from doing some kind of illegal practicing than protecting the kids' safety in 7on7's. Otherwise, I think they should look closely at changing their rule.

As to the 7on7's in helmets or not..

Based on experience (freak accidents with helmets bursting thigh blood vessels notwithstanding), I think Coach Glaser made the right call by not letting his kids play without helmets.

We encountered a similar situation at U. of Cincinnati a few years back where they told us NOBODY could use helmets at their tournament. We left that day with THREE kids suffering concussions as a result of their heads hitting the turf with no protection.

Obviously, a helmet CAN become something dangerous when it comes into contact with a non-protected part of the body. But I'd say the kinds of things that could cause helmet-to-body contact injuries are rare. Even in GAMES, where blocking and tackling are actually taking place -- putting the helmet MUCH more into contact with other players -- think of how little of the body is actually protected with padding and open to a helmet-to-body injury.

In 7on7's, when kids are leaping as high as they can and very often coming down on the ground and when there are two or more kids running at full speed at head-to-head level to get to a ball, the FAR more likely injuries are head-to-ground and head-to-head contact. Add in facemasks to protect the jaw, eyes, and teeth and to me it's a no-brainer not to compete in this kind of contest without a helmet.

If Texas has a rule prohibiting helmet-use in June, I'd say that has more to do with keeping teams from doing some kind of illegal practicing than protecting the kids' safety in 7on7's. Otherwise, I think they should look closely at changing their rule.

All points very well taken. YOu obviously know from where you speak. Good info for people to consider.