Volquez and Hamilton

Voltron or Hobbs  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Voltron or Hobbs

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Reds' standpoint, the trade was fine until Volquez went down with the injury. Bad luck ... it happens.

Hamilton is a fine player, but he's not the superstar some portray him to be. He's played his entire career in very good hitters' parks, which has certainly helped his raw numbers.

Essentially, he's played five full seasons in the majors. Take his road production in that time and pro-rate it for one season, and this is what you get:

G ... 121

AB ... 471

R ... 68

H ... 143

Avg. ... .304

HR ... 22

RBI ... 81

2B ... 27

3B ... 2

SB-CS ... 7-2

BB ... 43

HBP ... 4

SO ... 101

OBP ... .354

SLP ... .514

OPS ... .868

A good player and a very good hitter, but a little injury-prone. Those aren't superstar numbers ... star numbers, yes, but not MVP-type stuff.

Hamilton's OPS at home is about 100 points higher, superstar-level production. It just doesn't hold up as well on the road.

From the Reds' standpoint, the trade was fine until Volquez went down with the injury. Bad luck ... it happens.

Hamilton is a fine player, but he's not the superstar some portray him to be. He's played his entire career in very good hitters' parks, which has certainly helped his raw numbers.

Essentially, he's played five full seasons in the majors. Take his road production in that time and pro-rate it for one season, and this is what you get:

G ... 121

AB ... 471

R ... 68

H ... 143

Avg. ... .304

HR ... 22

RBI ... 81

2B ... 27

3B ... 2

SB-CS ... 7-2

BB ... 43

HBP ... 4

SO ... 101

OBP ... .354

SLP ... .514

OPS ... .868

A good player and a very good hitter, but a little injury-prone. Those aren't superstar numbers ... star numbers, yes, but not MVP-type stuff.

Hamilton's OPS at home is about 100 points higher, superstar-level production. It just doesn't hold up as well on the road.

Many of Hamilton's HR's are well over 400+ Ft so it doesn't really matter what ball park he plays in...He just hit 5 HR's the last 2 nights in BAL which isn't Arlington...There are certain players where it just doesn't matter where they play, they are still going to hit the longball...If he isn't a Superstar and just a star then there are no Superstar's in baseball anymore...

Many of Hamilton's HR's are well over 400+ Ft so it doesn't really matter what ball park he plays in...He just hit 5 HR's the last 2 nights in BAL which isn't Arlington...There are certain players where it just doesn't matter where they play, they are still going to hit the longball...If he isn't a Superstar and just a star then there are no Superstar's in baseball anymore...
He's hit 76 homers in his home parks, 56 on the road, even after the outburst in Baltimore. It certainly does matter what park he plays in.

ESPN Home Run Tracker :: Player and Field Detail

Nearly half were under 400 ft. last year.

Okay so I exaggerated the number a little :D ... All of his HR's this year are over 350 and the ones that are over 350 and not quite 400 are close to 375 and down both lines where they would have been HR's anywhere...Too dead center all of his HR's are over 400 and according to Home Run Tracker all of his HR's except 2 would have been out at basically any park in baseball...

His HR's last year in Texas averaged 414 feet...Of the 14 he hit there 8 were over 400 feet..And only one which traveled 366 feet would have been out at 15 or less other ball parks, all of his other HR's hit in Texas would have still been HR's at over 20 other ML Parks...His shortest HR in 2011 and only one less that 350 feet was 339 feet which still would have been good in 6 other parks and he hit only 3 total HR's out of 25 that wouldn't have been HR's in at least half of ML Parks...His average HR's of all 25 total that he hit was 410 feet...All of his HR's except one would've still been HR's in Petco, all would've still been good at Citi, all good in Comerica and all but one good in At&t which are 4 of the harder places to hit HR's...

Its all a terrible argument for how good a player is anyways...I'm sure lot's of players HR numbers could be due to where they play most of their games, Bruce, Granderson, Cargo and many others I'm sure benefit from this...

Its all a terrible argument for how good a player is anyways...I'm sure lot's of players HR numbers could be due to where they play most of their games, Bruce, Granderson, Cargo and many others I'm sure benefit from this...
Why is it a terrible argument?

Why is it a terrible argument?

Like I said Hamilton isn't the only person that benefits from playing in a hitters park...There actually aren't to many parks left that aren't hitters parks...I just provided you with info that shows how almost every home run he hits would be out any where...It's just a coincidence that he has hit more HR's in Texas I wouldn't look into it to much to determine if his numbers are inflated...Even when he isn't hitting HR's he is hitting Doubles and still getting hits...I'd like to know how him hitting more HR's at Home then on the Road determines that he is a Superstar or just a Star...Because like I said his HR's would be out any where...

Like I said Hamilton isn't the only person that benefits from playing in a hitters park...There actually aren't to many parks left that aren't hitters parks...I just provided you with info that shows how almost every home run he hits would be out any where...It's just a coincidence that he has hit more HR's in Texas I wouldn't look into it to much to determine if his numbers are inflated...Even when he isn't hitting HR's he is hitting Doubles and still getting hits...I'd like to know how him hitting more HR's at Home then on the Road determines that he is a Superstar or just a Star...Because like I said his HR's would be out any where...
No, it's not a coincidence ... the ball carries well in Arlington, and the heat makes it tough on pitchers, among other factors. Almost every key player Texas has had over the years shows far more power in Texas than then they do on the road.