What book are you reading?

letabrotherspeak

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading, "Underboss: Sammy the Bull Gravano's Story of Life in the Mafia" and just finished, "What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America."

http://www.amazon.com/Underboss-Sammy-Gravanos-Story-Mafia/dp/0060930969/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212208749&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Matter-Kansas-Conservatives-America/dp/080507774X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212208912&sr=1-1

I'm a fan of quantum physics, and a lot of those you listed sound interesting. I may pick those up at some point down the road. Years ago I read an interesting book called 'I'm Not Really Here' by, oddly enough, Tim Allen, about quantum physics and I think that's what got me started. I was only a kid when I read it so I don't remember much of it.
Tim Allen's book is not available for the Kindle yet but it sounds like an interesting read. I have always read quite a bit but my reading consisted mostly of computer manuals, magazines, and on line news. My reading habits changed when I bought the Kindle a few months ago. Now, I have to read books to justify the money that I spent to get the Kindle. :D

I've got a few that I'm getting ready to start:

Everything They Had Sports writing from David Halbertsam

Phantom Prey

Purple Cow: Transform Your Business

Richard Clarke's new book Your Government Failed You

I have been reading Vincent Bugliosi's "Reclaiming History" since November. It's 1600 pages and small print, dealing with the Kennedy assassination. It's actually three books combined into one. I usually read at night and I'm through about 1000 pages so far. It took him 21 years to complete the book, and after reading it there's no way, imo, that anyone can feel that Oswald didn't kill JFK (the patsy argument) or that there was any kind of conspiracy whatsoever. He breaks down and destroys any and all arguments about the numerous conspiracies that have cropped up in the 45 years since the assassination. He says that most of these books are written with little regard for the facts because the writers know books about conspircies or the unknown (UFO's) make money. The facts of the case, therefore, have gotten hidden behind a lot of dollar signs.

He explains things such as why common, everyday people are inclined to put their blinders on and buy into the conspiracy theories and disregard the facts in the case. He writes, "...one of the reasons why everyday Americans believe in a conspiracy in this case is that they find it intellectually incongruous that a peasant can strike down a king, that something more just had to be involved." He adds that most people want to add a conspiracy to this terrible crime to give it purpose, give it some weight.

He writes toward the end of his book, "The purpose of this book has been twofold. One, to educate everyday Americans that Oswald killed Kennedy, and acted alone, paying for his own bullets. And, two, to expose, as never before, the conspiracy theorist and their abject worthlessness of all their allegations. I believe this book has achieved both those goals."

In the last few months I've read or am in the process of reading.

Post War-Tony Judt (An excellent history of Europe after WWII, a very enlighting look from how the events of WWII shaped the direction of different governments of Europe throughout the Cold War. This is probably the best history book I've read, maybe not the most exciting read to the average reader but an excellent historical resource. It has certainly help me to understand Europe in a different way.)

In the Hot Zone- Kevin Sites (The memoirs of a war correspondent who has covered some of the more dangerous events in the world. The guy goes into war zones and covers the human impact of wars. I found the book much less compelling then I had hoped, IMHO the stories were far to predictable.)

Over the Edge of the World- Laurence Bergreen (The history of Magellan's circumnavigation. This was a surprisingly good story, I had no idea that this trip was as interesting as it was. The book is written as a tale which makes it more fun to read than most historical references.

A Problem From Hell- Samantha Power (I haven't finished this book because it is simply to easy to put down. It is about the U.S. responses to genocide in the 20th century. I'm simply not finding this book to be compelling)

1491- Charles Mann (I haven't finished this one either, the last few chapters are brutally slow, however a very informative look into Pre-Columbian America. The book doesn't serve to act as a definitive resource on the matter, yet provides a review of what historians and scientist are agreeing and disagreeing about. It sheds light on the (partially disputed) massive death toll by disease and how it crippled Indian cultures so that they were in there own "Dark Ages" and so severly weakened that as Europeans arrived they mostly encountered only a shell of the former culture. A good read if you have interest in Indians or simply other cultures.

A People's History of the United States- Howard Zinn (This book is good for little more than fire wood. In all seriousness, this book is far far far to radically left wing for my taste. Its only redeeming quality is that it mentioned some events that I simply hadn't heard of.)

Guns, Germs, and Steel- Jared Diamond (A very good book that looks at the development of human cultures through scientific means rather than historical event. The author begins with asking the question why is one culture so very advanced and another so very primitive. The comes about his answer in a very unique and compelling way.)

The Historian- Elizabeth Kostova (This is a fictional Dracula tale. For the most part a very non-violent tale that was intriguing and with the exception of one very slow part a real page turner.

Ghost Wars- Steve Coll ( The story of Afghanistan, Osama Bin Laden, and the CIA prior to 9-11. This seemed like a very honest and nonpartisan look back at all the events that led up to 9-11. It left me with a feeling that even though mistakes were made, they were generally made with sound reason considering the events and political realities of the times. I would really like to recommend this book to those that want to "blame" people for 9-11.)

The History of the English Speaking People Since 1900- A very anglophonic-centric (if that is a word) review of the last century. While very self aggrandizing and at time arrogant, I think it is fair on many of the great qualities that has allowed the English speaking cultures to dominate the world. It argues that English speaking peoples (USA, England, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand) are natural allies and when have worked together they have been very strong and productive. It right-leaning book that promotes "the man" in a more refreshing than most historians like to review history.

I read Michael Strahan's Inside the Helmet a few months ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a very good book IMO.

I'm thinking about reading Glenn Beck's An Inconvenient Book and am planning on reading Jon Stewart's America.

Also had to read Terrorist Hunter by Anonymous for my latest homeland security class, and it was a very interesting book as well if you are interested in terrorism.

I read Michael Strahan's Inside the Helmet a few months ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a very good book IMO.

I'm thinking about reading Glenn Beck's An Inconvenient Book and am planning on reading Jon Stewart's America.

Also had to read Terrorist Hunter by Anonymous for my latest homeland security class, and it was a very interesting book as well if you are interested in terrorism.

I still want to read Terrorist Hunter!

Just finished re-reading "The Civil War , Fredricksburg to Meridian " by Shelby Foote and just started the third volumn in the series "The Civil War , Red River to Appomattox " , also just finished "Red Rabbit " by Tom Clancy and am starting "Teeth of the Tiger " by the same . I always seem to juggle two or three books at the same time .