CAL 8 Trinity 7

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was awful umpiring 2nite, I couldn't really tell you what a strike was since it varied from inning to inning. I don't believe Deeds should of been ejected from the game after the shove at 2nd base that involved the shortstop Shutt. I'm sorry the umpiring was pitaful for both sides alot of questionable calls and I don't think the umpires knew what was going on. Anyways for the game Paul Hohmann started for the Rocks and went 3 innings being pulled for Kyle Griffin who went I believe 2/3 then after Griffin came Rueff who finished the game out with 3 innings of scoreless baseball. Griffin took the loss for the Rocks 2nite after giving up 4 of the 5 runs in the 4th inning after Trinity lead 7-3 going into the bottom of the inning. Trinity hit the ball hard but it was right at CAL the whole nite it was one of those nights Trinity couldn't find a hole. As for CAL they started Justin Weiss, a little lefty that threw a fastball, knuckleball and the occasional eefus pitch lol. After Weiss started the 4th, Eichberger came in and didnt get an out hitting Berry and then Roney in the head and walked Bowling with Deeds up Eichberger threw the ball into center on a pick off throw then Kinney, CAL's center field threw it into Trinity's dugout so Trinity went up 6-3 then Andy Wood for CAL relieved Eichberger and basically shut them down the rest of the way and received the win except it got a little tense in the 7th where with 2 outs walked 3 straight batters but got Andrew Bowling to strike out on a 1-2 pitch. I mean Trinity hit him pretty hard but right at center each time. CAL used small ball with about 4 bunts singles that were placed beautifully each time you couldn't asked for any better placement. Very exciting ballgame and this will be CAL's first regional championship game.

I'll agree it was an exciting game and the umpiring was not exactly what you would expect for a regional semifinal game. However, I do think Deeds should have been ejected, I don't know what was said between the two, but I think if it had stayed at words only Deeds would have remained in the game. The shoving was unnecessary and there was no reason for it regardless of what was said. The CAL kid maybe should have been ejected, but the pushing and shoving will be an automatic ejection.

Overall, it was an awesome game to watch and was very exciting. Give props to Trinity on a great season and to CAL for fighting through the toughest region in the state. I look forward to tomorrow night's championship game to be equally exciting.

I'll agree it was an exciting game and the umpiring was not exactly what you would expect for a regional semifinal game. However, I do think Deeds should have been ejected, I don't know what was said between the two, but I think if it had stayed at words only Deeds would have remained in the game. The shoving was unnecessary and there was no reason for it regardless of what was said. The CAL kid maybe should have been ejected, but the pushing and shoving will be an automatic ejection.

Overall, it was an awesome game to watch and was very exciting. Give props to Trinity on a great season and to CAL for fighting through the toughest region in the state. I look forward to tomorrow night's championship game to be equally exciting.

Deeds did not come back up in the order, so no loss at bat. What is a player to do when Shutt takes the ball out of the glove an hits a player in the face, creating a bloody fat lip? Does one not protect himself? Players got away with alot worse in prior games. TIGERX, it wasn't what was said, it was what Shutt did, you make a tag and walk away, but when Shutt takes the ball out of the glove and hits ones face, the runner normally gets alittle upset. This comment coming from a X fan, I can expect. I hope CAL plays the same way tonight against you. Cal may bring up an 8th grader to pitch, so I wish you luck.

THe game was officiated horribly but that was in no way shape or form what cost Trinity this game.

It had a big part in it. Ump behind the plate could not see the outside corner, positioned badly.

^ That is affirmative.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

A couple take aways from last night.

It was apparent that the 2 games in one day took its toll on the Shamrocks. You could see in the first inning when Coach T went to the mound that he was going to have to provide the fire but he tried but couldn't get the Rocks over the heap. Also early on is the foul ball approximately 25 feet behind third base that drops that the SS needs to get over there. The batter got a hit and scored I believe to set the tone.

What is lost in this discussion about umpires and whatever is CAL got 11 hits last night. It really doesn't matter how long the hits are. Hats off to Coach Bill Gray. As to pitching, I thought T's starter was matched by the CAL starter as it was 3-3 after 3 innings which gave CAL confidence. I thought the final pitcher for Trinity really hurt them with the wild pitch that brought in either the tying run or go ahead run. I know that run gets charged to the previous pitcher but that was a crucial mistake. My hats off to the seniors who gave their heart and soul for 4 years. Trinity will be better next year.

A couple take aways from last night.

Trinity will be better next year.

Do you think? They should since several sophomores got quality PT. That pop up was clearly the third basemans ball the first inning, which gave CAL the opportunity to score 1 run in the first inning. 11 hits are big, but how many were bunts that our third baseman should have handled? Bottom line, CAL had nothing to lose. Did anyone see the one CAL fan in the middle of the Rock fans. He was harrassing a young lady so Coach Lampley sat beside this dude and shut him up.

Roc4 - Having read a couple of post on baseball this season I recall that there was "concern" for third base play for the Rocks. Not following personnel, I have no clue who plays for any of these teams.... Did the issue get resolved or did the issue fuel the fire which resulted in the play discussed above? If I remember, underclassman were playing in front of more than capable upperclassman...???

Roc4 - Having read a couple of post on baseball this season I recall that there was "concern" for third base play for the Rocks. Not following personnel, I have no clue who plays for any of these teams.... Did the issue get resolved or did the issue fuel the fire which resulted in the play discussed above? If I remember, underclassman were playing in front of more than capable upperclassman...???

There has been concern since day one, but the Rock faithful relied on their coaches knowledge of the game. Would an upperclassman done better, we will never know.

Trinity has a fine baseball program and a very good year. They finished number 7 in the state in the final coaches' pole. They were the clear favorite to reach the 7th region finals. They lost in a shocker to an up and coming program. This was most likely CAL's biggest win of their history. The umpire did not have a consistent strike zone, but the umpire did not cost Trinity the game. Both teams got bad calls at the plate. Blaming a player (a sophomore), a CAL fan that has the courage to sit in a Trinity crowd.....for the loss of this game? There were a lot of factors, particulalry factors that Trinity could control Deeds losing his cool was a clear factor, whether people agree with the ejection or not. Maybe he did not initiate the altercation? In any sport, though, what Deeds did was so blatant and so noticeable that it cost him and his team. Give credit to CAL for playing smart against a team that clearly out-matched them. They hugged the plate with the batter's feet over the batter's box line to try to affect the effectiveness of Trinity's pitchers. They bunted wisely. The used less "talented" pitching to try to mess up the timing and rthythm of Trinity's hitters. They had nothing to lose, but used everything that they had. They are a scary team to use clever tools to beat the "big dog." St. X better be ready. CAL has everything to gain and a lot of tricks up their sleeve.