CAL 8 Trinity 7

Deeds did not come back up in the order, so no loss at bat. What is a player to do when Shutt takes the ball out of the glove an hits a player in the face, creating a bloody fat lip? Does one not protect himself? Players got away with alot worse in prior games. TIGERX, it wasn't what was said, it was what Shutt did, you make a tag and walk away, but when Shutt takes the ball out of the glove and hits ones face, the runner normally gets alittle upset. This comment coming from a X fan, I can expect. I hope CAL plays the same way tonight against you. Cal may bring up an 8th grader to pitch, so I wish you luck.

In a game of this level one does not get up and shove the other player.

There is an old axiom in sports, the officials always catch the retaliation.

One should keep his composure and let his actions on the field take care of business. Suppose for an instant that Trinity would have come back and won the game. The ejected player would not have been able to play in tonight's final, his actions would have hurt his team. I'm sorry but there's no way to excuse the ejection.

And the officiating was horrid both ways so neither team got a real advantage from it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think? They should since several sophomores got quality PT. That pop up was clearly the third basemans ball the first inning, which gave CAL the opportunity to score 1 run in the first inning. 11 hits are big, but how many were bunts that our third baseman should have handled? Bottom line, CAL had nothing to lose. Did anyone see the one CAL fan in the middle of the Rock fans. He was harrassing a young lady so Coach Lampley sat beside this dude and shut him up.

In fairness to the third basemen, he lost it in the lights....and the shortshop didn't come over to help. It could have been caught by either of them. Coach T barked at Berry after the play.

A couple take aways from last night.

It was apparent that the 2 games in one day took its toll on the Shamrocks. You could see in the first inning when Coach T went to the mound that he was going to have to provide the fire but he tried but couldn't get the Rocks over the heap. Also early on is the foul ball approximately 25 feet behind third base that drops that the SS needs to get over there. The batter got a hit and scored I believe to set the tone.

What is lost in this discussion about umpires and whatever is CAL got 11 hits last night. It really doesn't matter how long the hits are. Hats off to Coach Bill Gray. As to pitching, I thought T's starter was matched by the CAL starter as it was 3-3 after 3 innings which gave CAL confidence. I thought the final pitcher for Trinity really hurt them with the wild pitch that brought in either the tying run or go ahead run. I know that run gets charged to the previous pitcher but that was a crucial mistake. My hats off to the seniors who gave their heart and soul for 4 years. Trinity will be better next year.

It wasn't playing a second game that caused Trinity's problems and that's all I'll say about that. Had it been Eastern or X that Trinity played in the second game I have no doubt at all that the same intensity would have been there.

Jimmy Ref......To be perfectly honest I do not see Trinity being better next year.I watched several Freshman and JV games..don't see a lot to be excited for in foreseeable future.Average talent at best.

Did Deeds come up in the order again after he was ejected?

His spot was on deck when #3 hitter struck out to end it. I now understand more why Stein probably didn't return for his Senior campaign.

Trinity will be very competitive again next season. 27-10 season isn't horrible, just simply typical. The draw could not have been better for the Rocks on paper.

After one more track meet, it's time to focus on football for 2008!!!!!!

One should keep his composure and let his actions on the field take care of business. Suppose for an instant that Trinity would have come back and won the game. The ejected player would not have been able to play in tonight's final, his actions would have hurt his team. I'm sorry but there's no way to excuse the ejection.

And the officiating was horrid both ways so neither team got a real advantage from it.

You are right, there was no way to excuse the ejection, because it should not have happened. If Shutt doesn't hit Deeds in the face with the ball, nothing happens. Baseball is just as competitive as football and officals overlook alot more in other sports. I didn't see any coaches yelling at Deeds either, so....they saw something that you nor I saw. Bottom line, his actions didn't hurt the team......his actions should have got his teammates fired up to do something at the plate.

Trinity has a fine baseball program and a very good year. They finished number 7 in the state in the final coaches' pole. They were the clear favorite to reach the 7th region finals. They lost in a shocker to an up and coming program. This was most likely CAL's biggest win of their history. The umpire did not have a consistent strike zone, but the umpire did not cost Trinity the game. Both teams got bad calls at the plate. Blaming a player (a sophomore), a CAL fan that has the courage to sit in a Trinity crowd.....for the loss of this game? There were a lot of factors, particulalry factors that Trinity could control Deeds losing his cool was a clear factor, whether people agree with the ejection or not. Maybe he did not initiate the altercation? In any sport, though, what Deeds did was so blatant and so noticeable that it cost him and his team. Give credit to CAL for playing smart against a team that clearly out-matched them. They hugged the plate with the batter's feet over the batter's box line to try to affect the effectiveness of Trinity's pitchers. They bunted wisely. The used less "talented" pitching to try to mess up the timing and rthythm of Trinity's hitters. They had nothing to lose, but used everything that they had. They are a scary team to use clever tools to beat the "big dog." St. X better be ready. CAL has everything to gain and a lot of tricks up their sleeve.

St.X faced CAL a few weeks ago with the Tigers winning by just by a score of 5-2, I am sure they will have respect for them tonight.

Trinity has a fine baseball program and a very good year. They finished number 7 in the state in the final coaches' pole. They were the clear favorite to reach the 7th region finals. They lost in a shocker to an up and coming program. This was most likely CAL's biggest win of their history. The umpire did not have a consistent strike zone, but the umpire did not cost Trinity the game. Both teams got bad calls at the plate. Blaming a player (a sophomore), a CAL fan that has the courage to sit in a Trinity crowd.....for the loss of this game? There were a lot of factors, particulalry factors that Trinity could control Deeds losing his cool was a clear factor, whether people agree with the ejection or not. Maybe he did not initiate the altercation? In any sport, though, what Deeds did was so blatant and so noticeable that it cost him and his team. Give credit to CAL for playing smart against a team that clearly out-matched them. They hugged the plate with the batter's feet over the batter's box line to try to affect the effectiveness of Trinity's pitchers. They bunted wisely. The used less "talented" pitching to try to mess up the timing and rthythm of Trinity's hitters. They had nothing to lose, but used everything that they had. They are a scary team to use clever tools to beat the "big dog." St. X better be ready. CAL has everything to gain and a lot of tricks up their sleeve.

Very Good assessment - IMHO.

I'll agree that the officiating wasn't great and the strike zone changed from one inning to the next. I didn't know the Shutt hit Deeds in the face, whether it was intentional or not, in a game of that magnitude with so much on the line you have to keep your composure to help your team. Granted he wasn't called out and there was a replacement, but that does take some of the wind out of your sails. I didn't say that because I was an X fan, I would have said that had X, Trinity, CAL or anyone else done it. I am an X fan, but I am also all about exciting baseball played the right way. I think you should protect yourself, but in a game like that you have to think of whats best for your team. Great job by the ROCKS this season!

Deeds did not come back up in the order, so no loss at bat. What is a player to do when Shutt takes the ball out of the glove an hits a player in the face, creating a bloody fat lip? Does one not protect himself? Players got away with alot worse in prior games. TIGERX, it wasn't what was said, it was what Shutt did, you make a tag and walk away, but when Shutt takes the ball out of the glove and hits ones face, the runner normally gets alittle upset. This comment coming from a X fan, I can expect. I hope CAL plays the same way tonight against you. Cal may bring up an 8th grader to pitch, so I wish you luck.

I'll agree that the officiating wasn't great and the strike zone changed from one inning to the next. I didn't know the Shutt hit Deeds in the face, whether it was intentional or not, in a game of that magnitude with so much on the line you have to keep your composure to help your team. Granted he wasn't called out and there was a replacement, but that does take some of the wind out of your sails. I didn't say that because I was an X fan, I would have said that had X, Trinity, CAL or anyone else done it. I am an X fan, but I am also all about exciting baseball played the right way. I think you should protect yourself, but in a game like that you have to think of whats best for your team. Great job by the ROCKS this season!

Jimmy Ref......To be perfectly honest I do not see Trinity being better next year.I watched several Freshman and JV games..don't see a lot to be excited for in foreseeable future.Average talent at best.

Oh, I disagree...T had some very good sophomores playing varsity this year and maybe that is why Frosh and JV weren't that great.

Better next year? Maybe not, but I do think they will be just as formidable.

Edited by TKE_
Added material

Oh, I disagree...T had some very good sophomores playing varsity this year and maybe that is why Frosh and JV weren't that great.

Better next year? Maybe not, but I do think they will be just as formidable.

That could be very true...I did overlook the sophs playing varsity.My oversight.

That could be very true...I did overlook the sophs playing varsity.My oversight.

Trinity returns 3 talented pitchers in Rueff, Littrell and Nick Porter. Another junior-to-be Tewell also is very crafty. I'm not sure about the catching spot next year, is Shadowen still playing? I noticed Coach T had a freshman catcher dressed for CAL in Dylan Ramser. Besides Bowling and Carney, who else returns for the Rocks? I was also impressed with the freshman Armstrong, could he see some 2b next year?

This about T's catcher...my brother was a catcher for PRP during their run on titles in the mid 90's and I very much trust his judgement on catching mechanics. He mentioned that T's catcher was very instinctual...blocked, framed, and came out of the box very well. He had a good arm, but was a tad on the small side.

I don't know about his hitting abilities or his class, but if he's coming back next year it's a good thing. He gains strength and age...he's only going to get better.