Carrollton bus crash - 20 years later

The Scribe

Wednesday marks the 20th anniversary of the nation's deadliest bus crash.

It was on May 14, 1988 that 27 people were killed and 34 more were injured when the church bus they were riding on collided with a drunk driver on I-71 in Carroll County.

Two decades later, let's reflect on what has happened since.

The first thing to remember is that the children and adults injured were not from Carrollton. They were from the First Assembly of God in Radcliff. Many of the students attended North Hardin High School. Because Carrollton is associated with the crash, there some community leaders who want a roadside sign on I-71 removed because no one from Carroll County was involved in the crash. Family members from Hardin County have worked to keep the sign there. It remains on I-71 today and was there two weeks ago when I drove through.

27 people were killed when the right front of the bus collided with the right front of Larry Mahoney's pickup truck, which was going the wrong way on I-71 shortly before 11pm. The bus was returning from King's Island. Many of the people on the bus were asleep. When the two vehicles collided, the impact drove a spring into the gas tank located behind the driver's seat. The gas and tank quickly ignited. Between the ignited gas and the flammable foam inside the bus seats, the cabin of the bus quickly caught fire, reaching an estimated 2,000 degrees. Autopsies showed no one died from injuries due to the crash. They died from smoke inhalation and/or burns. Many could not get off the bus because of the fire at the front of the bus and the crush of people at the back of the bus where the only other exit was located.

Why do I bring this up?

When you look at a school bus today, or maybe send your son or daughter on a school or athletic trip, think about the improvements and modifications of the bus as a result of the Carrollton bus crash.

The bus was a 1977 Ford -- only 11 years old and had been purchased by the church from the Meade County school system.

Kentucky now requires all school buses to have nine emergency exits--more than any other federal or state standard. All school buses must have front and back doors, a side door, four emergency windows and two roof exits. They must also have a cage around the fuel tank, a stronger frame and roof to resist crumpling on impact and rollover, high-backed seats, extra seat padding, a fuel system that slows leaks, flame-retardant seats and floors, reflective tape on all emergency exits, and strobe lights on the exterior. Schools also must have a diesel-powered fleet. Buses also have luggage and storage compartments located under the bus so that equipment and luggage isn't placed at the rear of the bus, blocking the rear exit.

All of these modifications are the result of a tragic night 20 years ago.

As for Larry Mahoney, his blood alcohol content at the time of the crash was 0.24 -- more than twice the legal limit at the time. He remembers nothing of the crash. Anyone who has traveled that section of I-71 has to ask themselves "How can anyone drive the wrong way on the interstate at night for six miles and not hit anything or run off the road??" When I drove that section of road recently, I asked myself that.

He was convicted of 27 counts of manslaughter and 16 counts of assault. He served 10 years and 11 months before he was released in 1999. Kentucky law said each person killed in the crash was worth five months in jail. Five months. That doesn't count those injured. There are some who feel like Mahoney could tell a strong anti-alcohol message to other people. He has refused to do so. He lives anonomously in Owen County today.

Since the crash, Kentucky has lowered the per se limit on DUIs to .08. They have also toughened up the DUI laws some, but not where it applies to alcohol-related deaths.

So on Wednesday as you send your kids off to school, or maybe pass a school bus on the road, or pick your child up after a baseball or softball game, take time to remember a few things.

Say a little prayer for the family members of those killed in the crash and all of those who were injured. Especially as the anniversary comes in the days after Mother's Day.

Also take time to realize the impact the crash had on making sure your child is much safer on a school bus today. Who knows how many of these bus modifications would have been made had the parishioners of the First Assembly of God made it back to Radcliff 20 years ago Wednesday.

I'll step off my soapbox now....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember this event so well as I was also returning from King's Island on that same day. I was horrified to hear about this the following morning. Needless to say . . . every time I go to KI (or any other amusement park) I remember this horrible tragedy.

Great post Scribe. The one thing that really bothers me is that the people of Carrollton would want the memorial marker removed. Why does it bother them? That shows a lot of disrespect to the young men and women who perished in that crash IMO.

Great post Scribe. The one thing that really bothers me is that the people of Carrollton would want the memorial marker removed. Why does it bother them? That shows a lot of disrespect to the young men and women who perished in that crash IMO.

No kidding. It's not like it's posted on the "Welcome to Carrollton" sign. It's nothing more than a small marker. I know I look for it every time I go that way...

I am from Carrollton and I have no knowledge of anyone trying to remove the sign. It was an incredibly difficult time for our community and not something they would ever forget with or without the sign. My heart still hurts for all the young people on that bus as well as everyone involved during that terrible time.

The stretch of HIghway is a constant reminder of what happened that day as well as driving by the Armory which was used as a morgue at that time. The entire community helped in any way possible.

The only arguement I have heard about the sign is that the state does not like people putting crosses on the highways were there loved ones have died. Those people have argued that it is no different than the marker at the accident site.

I was a young newlywed at the time and I always remember exactly where I was at the time of this accident.

No one from Carrollton is bothered by a sign that deeply effected many people across the State. Do I wish the sign was not there? I only wish there was not need for the sign and that it never happened.

One side of the story

LINK

News to me..Nothing locally about it.

I think it is appropriate as the crosses are on the road. It reminds people of what one careless action can cause. As I said, I wish they never had to be put up.

I live about 10 minutes from Carrollton. I remember the tragedy very well. I was in high school and we were in Madison, IN, at an overnight skating event. When our parents picked us up the next morning, the news spread quickly and they were all hugging us. It truly was a tragedy on such a terrible scale, as it could have been prevented in so many ways.

Though I am not a resident of Carroll Co, I feel the need to say something on their behalf. In the 20 years that have since passed, I have never once talked to a Carroll Co resident that said that the sign should come down. They are a very caring community and I am sure that the accident took a toll on them.

Every time we are on a bus traveling to the Northern Kentucky area, whether it be to a football or basketball game, or a field trip, I see the sign, that now reads "Site of Fatal Bus Crash - May 14th, 1988." The old sign used to say something to the effect "Site of the Carroll Co Bus Crash". As you can imagine, though the tragedy occurred in Carroll Co, the sign was misleading...I think it would have been much more meaningful to have the name of the church on it, then the name of the county. Carroll Co just happened to be where it occurred. A few more miles and it would have happened in Trimble Co, where I live, though no less tragic. Perhaps those that had reservations about the sign simply didn't think that the "Carroll Co" part of the sign was appropriate to the tragedy.

Unless you know of or research the event, for some the sign may be meaningless. But for those of us that do know, it is a reminder of how deadly alcohol can be.

Such a horrible accident a few years before my time. I just don't understand how anyone that's that intoxicated that they drive backwards down the interstate could ever think they're ok to drive. I know people drive drunk way too much, but that really just blows my mind.

Wednesday marks the 20th anniversary of the nation's deadliest bus crash.

It was on May 14, 1988 that 27 people were killed and 34 more were injured when the church bus they were riding on collided with a drunk driver on I-71 in Carroll County.

Two decades later, let's reflect on what has happened since.

The first thing to remember is that the children and adults injured were not from Carrollton. They were from the First Assembly of God in Radcliff. Many of the students attended North Hardin High School. Because Carrollton is associated with the crash, there some community leaders who want a roadside sign on I-71 removed because no one from Carroll County was involved in the crash. Family members from Hardin County have worked to keep the sign there. It remains on I-71 today and was there two weeks ago when I drove through.

27 people were killed when the right front of the bus collided with the right front of Larry Mahoney's pickup truck, which was going the wrong way on I-71 shortly before 11pm. The bus was returning from King's Island. Many of the people on the bus were asleep. When the two vehicles collided, the impact drove a spring into the gas tank located behind the driver's seat. The gas and tank quickly ignited. Between the ignited gas and the flammable foam inside the bus seats, the cabin of the bus quickly caught fire, reaching an estimated 2,000 degrees. Autopsies showed no one died from injuries due to the crash. They died from smoke inhalation and/or burns. Many could not get off the bus because of the fire at the front of the bus and the crush of people at the back of the bus where the only other exit was located.

Why do I bring this up?

When you look at a school bus today, or maybe send your son or daughter on a school or athletic trip, think about the improvements and modifications of the bus as a result of the Carrollton bus crash.

The bus was a 1977 Ford -- only 11 years old and had been purchased by the church from the Meade County school system.

Kentucky now requires all school buses to have nine emergency exits--more than any other federal or state standard. All school buses must have front and back doors, a side door, four emergency windows and two roof exits. They must also have a cage around the fuel tank, a stronger frame and roof to resist crumpling on impact and rollover, high-backed seats, extra seat padding, a fuel system that slows leaks, flame-retardant seats and floors, reflective tape on all emergency exits, and strobe lights on the exterior. Schools also must have a diesel-powered fleet. Buses also have luggage and storage compartments located under the bus so that equipment and luggage isn't placed at the rear of the bus, blocking the rear exit.

All of these modifications are the result of a tragic night 20 years ago.

As for Larry Mahoney, his blood alcohol content at the time of the crash was 0.24 -- more than twice the legal limit at the time. He remembers nothing of the crash. Anyone who has traveled that section of I-71 has to ask themselves "How can anyone drive the wrong way on the interstate at night for six miles and not hit anything or run off the road??" When I drove that section of road recently, I asked myself that.

He was convicted of 27 counts of manslaughter and 16 counts of assault. He served 10 years and 11 months before he was released in 1999. Kentucky law said each person killed in the crash was worth five months in jail. Five months. That doesn't count those injured. There are some who feel like Mahoney could tell a strong anti-alcohol message to other people. He has refused to do so. He lives anonomously in Owen County today.

Since the crash, Kentucky has lowered the per se limit on DUIs to .08. They have also toughened up the DUI laws some, but not where it applies to alcohol-related deaths.

So on Wednesday as you send your kids off to school, or maybe pass a school bus on the road, or pick your child up after a baseball or softball game, take time to remember a few things.

Say a little prayer for the family members of those killed in the crash and all of those who were injured. Especially as the anniversary comes in the days after Mother's Day.

Also take time to realize the impact the crash had on making sure your child is much safer on a school bus today. Who knows how many of these bus modifications would have been made had the parishioners of the First Assembly of God made it back to Radcliff 20 years ago Wednesday.

I'll step off my soapbox now....

A couple of things here ... and I want to state clearly .. that I am not a Larry Mahoney apologist ...

Mahoney has actually lived in Boone County since about 6 months after he got out of jail.

Which brings me to this point ... why mention that he hasn't volunteered his time to speak about the dangers of drinking and driving? Why is it that people automatically assume that this guy is sitting back--and feeling great about his poor decisions?

If you do some digging (and it takes a lot) you will find that this guy made the decision to not talk about this to spare the families of having to constantly hear about it. That definitely doesn't make him a saint. But when you look at the way people do things today--it has to be better than constantly going around and talking about it--and bringing attention to ones self. Yes--It keeps a lot of negative attention off of Mahoney--but it also keeps the attention on the people that died needlessly over a very stupid situation.

Honestly--would you want this guy to go around and speak about this tragedy? I doubt it. Most kids today can't even begin to associate with this time period.

I have never felt sorry for Mahoney. But I think that this guy understands that he will answer for his decisions. No clue why I feel that way--but it has something to do with his silence. It is also pretty weak to assume that this guy, even though he made an incredibly stupid decision to drive drunk, made an informed decision to get in his truck, drive the wrong way--and kill many innocent men, women and children.

Not sure if I have been clear .. so to sum it up ... this guy may be doing the right thing by NOT talking. After everything that these families have been through (which are well documented--and extremely disheartening) ... why do people assume that he doesn't talk because he is a cold, smug individual?

Honestly--would you want this guy to go around and speak about this tragedy? I doubt it. Most kids today can't even begin to associate with this time period.

Honestly yes. If by speaking to young men and women about the dangers of drinking and driving, and how it has affected his life, and took the lifes of so many others, and if that could prevent one person from doing so in the future, you never know how many lifes it may save in the future. What difference does it make if kids today can associate with that time period or not. They certainly can associate with the temptation to drink and drive.