Paintsville's Landon Slone to UK

What is the difference between "walk-on" and "preferred walk-on"? Does it simply mean that preferred walkon's don't have to try out? I wonder what set of rules they are under. The ones that applied to Mike Williams or the ones that applied to Dusty Mills?

Invited walk-on is probably the most accurate way to describe a preferred walk-on in NCAA sports. Rather than showing up and trying out, the colleges actively talk to these players and ask them to join the program as a walk-on.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it does. It's probably one of the few times in Slone's career that he has been defended by a Division I-caliber athlete and player.

I know he lit Jeffersontown up for 35 points, and the Chargers had plenty of athletes and quickness. But their defense was simply poor across the board in that game.

Well I'm pretty sure that BCG is a lot smarter then any of us on this board. So if he feels that Landon is capable of playing at that level, then I would say more then like he is.... regardless of what some of the "experts" of this site may believe.

Actually, it does. It's probably one of the few times in Slone's career that he has been defended by a Division I-caliber athlete and player.

I know he lit Jeffersontown up for 35 points, and the Chargers had plenty of athletes and quickness. But their defense was simply poor across the board in that game.

I still don't think it means much at all. There have been many players who have rebounded and had a great game the 2nd time facing the same opponent. It happens all the time. Sure, it may be something that you make a note of but to try to predict his potential against that type of player in the future from that one game is just unreliable, IMO. Gillispie must feel the same way if he wants him.

Well I'm pretty sure that BCG is a lot smarter then any of us on this board. So if he feels that Landon is capable of playing at that level, then I would say more then like he is.... regardless of what some of the "experts" of this site may believe.

:thumb::ylsuper::dancingpa

Great Post!!!!

I still don't think it means much at all. There have been many players who have rebounded and had a great game the 2nd time facing the same opponent. It happens all the time. Sure, it may be something that you make a note of but to try to predict his potential against that type of player in the future from that one game is just unreliable, IMO.

When I was on the j.v. team at Alice Lloyd College, I scored 17 points against Stephen Jackson (the one that plays for the Golden State Warriors) when he was at Oak Hill Academy. Looking at that one game, there is no reason whatsoever that I shouldn't be starting for the Celtics right now. :thumb:

You've got me in the wrong camp ... if Gillispie likes him as a walk-on, more power to him. Slone has some offensive potential, and since he isn't costing UK a scholarship, he's a no-risk addition.

If you payed much attention you would have noticed that it wasn't just Henderson holding Slone down. The whole team made a great effort to hold Slone down hounding him whereve he went. It allowed other Paintsville players to get some things done offensively. Slone is a very talented player and if UK had a better scholarship situation I could see it happening. That being said me or you either one do not have the knowledge of the situation to predict accurately.

If you payed much attention you would have noticed that it wasn't just Henderson holding Slone down. The whole team made a great effort to hold Slone down hounding him whereve he went. It allowed other Paintsville players to get some things done offensively.
No argument here, but Henderson's on-the-ball defense was the catalyst for that, too.

That just reinforces my point that Slone, in that game at least, had trouble scoring against Division I-caliber athletes.

Slone is a very talented player and if UK had a better scholarship situation I could see it happening. That being said me or you either one do not have the knowledge of the situation to predict accurately.
If Slone was as good as some on here think, he would have a Division I scholarship offer. That being the case, it's hard to see him being a contributor at UK ... but again, he's a no-risk addition to the roster. If Slone pushes the starters in practice, he's earned his keep. If he develops into anything beyond that, it's a huge bonus.

No argument here, but Henderson's on-the-ball defense was the catalyst for that, too.

That just reinforces my point that Slone, in that game at least, had trouble scoring against Division I-caliber athletes.

If Slone was as good as some on here think, he would have a Division I scholarship offer. That being the case, it's hard to see him being a contributor at UK ... but again, he's a no-risk addition to the roster. If Slone pushes the starters in practice, he's earned his keep. If he develops into anything beyond that, it's a huge bonus.

One thing that he can do quite well is shoot the ball. IMO he can be a whole lot better than Michael Porter. Also, I don't think it is fair to give him to hard of a time because of the Holmes game. He still had 13 points and the defense was focused so much on him.

I have said it all year long about Mr. Slone. He is one of the best players in the state ,but it took a good sweet 16 game to open some eyes.
That isn't necessarily the case. You have to admit that the Sweet 16 is the biggest stage Slone has ever played on, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of people that saw him ring up Jeffersontown for 35 were seeing him for the first time.

I suspect that anyone that saw Slone this year was already impressed with him. Slone caught my eye at the All A Classic ... it was evident that he had improved significantly from his junior year.

One thing that he can do quite well is shoot the ball. IMO he can be a whole lot better than Michael Porter. Also, I don't think it is fair to give him to hard of a time because of the Holmes game. He still had 13 points and the defense was focused so much on him.
I'm not giving him a hard time for the Holmes game. I think Slone could play on the low-Division I level, but I'm not sure he's ready to be a major contributor right now.

Slone is a good shooter and could be used at some point as a Cameron Mills spot up shooter type guy. I stated about a month ago that this would happen. This kid is going to go down work his tail off and have the time of his life and I bet you never hear of any problems out of him. Honestly if CBC recruits the type players he wants it will be hard for Slone to get any significant playing time....but coach has proven he will reward players for hard work. This is coming from a big Shelby Valley fan and I'm glad he made it to the state tourney and finished off this deal with his performance. Good Luck Landon and go make us mountain guys proud. :thumb:

If Slone was as good as some on here think, he would have a Division I scholarship offer. .

That's not necessarily true. Some people just fall through the cracks in the recruiting process.

Adam Emmenecker of Drake, who was this year's Missouri Valley Conference Player of the year, was a former walk-on. And I know you say its Drake. But what was Drake? A 5 seed?

Or look at football. Dallas Clark was a walk-on LB at Iowa. Now look at him.

I play football in NAIA but I was at a D1 school originally. And I see kids all the time, at my school and at others, that could play D1 but weren't recruited by any big schools. I will tell you right now there are alot of kids at Gtown that could play at UK in football.