Paintsville's Landon Slone to UK

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No argument here, but Henderson's on-the-ball defense was the catalyst for that, too.

That just reinforces my point that Slone, in that game at least, had trouble scoring against Division I-caliber athletes.

If Slone was as good as some on here think, he would have a Division I scholarship offer. That being the case, it's hard to see him being a contributor at UK ... but again, he's a no-risk addition to the roster. If Slone pushes the starters in practice, he's earned his keep. If he develops into anything beyond that, it's a huge bonus.

Here is one thing about Henderson's ability to play on the ball defense on Slone. Henderson never helped off at any time. He never got in help side or anything. No help whatsoever. When you basically face guard the guy all over the floor, it is easier to stay with him and never get lost on D. He isnt going to see much of that at the D1 level. He is never going to be the focal point of a defense again.

That being said, I think most folks realize he cant contribute right away. It would be nice to see him step into a Cameron Mills role his junior or senior year, but with the type of players that BCG will hopefully get we may never see that day.

Congrats to Slone and good luck.

I'm not giving him a hard time for the Holmes game. I think Slone could play on the low-Division I level, but I'm not sure he's ready to be a major contributor right now.

Definitely not ready right now. You'd like to see it in a couple of years, but thats hard to judge without knowing the next few recruiting classes. :thumb:

Definitely not ready right now. You'd like to see it in a couple of years, but thats hard to judge without knowing the next few recruiting classes. :thumb:
I wasn't referring to Slone at UK. I'm not sure he's ready to be a major contributor at a mid-major right now, much less at UK.

From what I have read nobody has "bashed" Henderson. Why is that even necessary in this thread?

Go read the thread on Arrez. I am just saying that everyone thinks Slone can play at UK but seem to think that because Arrez doesn't have his offensive game he has no business there.

I wasn't referring to Slone at UK. I'm not sure he's ready to be a major contributor at a mid-major right now, much less at UK.

I believe he could. If he were somewhere like EKU or Morehead St. I believe he would be a big contributer right now. The term mid-major is way too broad. I believe Slone could go anywhere and have a shot at being a contributer simply because he has decent size, I'd say 6-2, and he can shoot the ball very well. Hes not a slam dunk, but no matter where he goes there is 13 scholarship players. Everyone i not going to be a contributer.

One more thing, I believe Slone is a huge walkon upgrade from anyone else on the roster!

Slone is a good shooter and could be used at some point as a Cameron Mills spot up shooter type guy. I stated about a month ago that this would happen. This kid is going to go down work his tail off and have the time of his life and I bet you never hear of any problems out of him. Honestly if CBC recruits the type players he wants it will be hard for Slone to get any significant playing time....but coach has proven he will reward players for hard work. This is coming from a big Shelby Valley fan and I'm glad he made it to the state tourney and finished off this deal with his performance. Good Luck Landon and go make us mountain guys proud. :thumb:

Bankshot, I was just thinking the same thing. Sloan remains me of Cameron Mills, about the same height and built. Mills starting out as a Walk On, and earned himself a Scholarship. It is very possible that could happen to Slone.

Good Luck to Slone at UK.

I believe he could. If he were somewhere like EKU or Morehead St. I believe he would be a big contributer right now. The term mid-major is way too broad. I believe Slone could go anywhere and have a shot at being a contributer simply because he has decent size, I'd say 6-2, and he can shoot the ball very well. Hes not a slam dunk, but no matter where he goes there is 13 scholarship players. Everyone i not going to be a contributer.

One more thing, I believe Slone is a huge walkon upgrade from anyone else on the roster!

I like the fact that BCG actually adds talent to the walk on roles instead of feel good stories and relatives. This proves even more to me that we are on the right path for the future.

Go read the thread on Arrez. I am just saying that everyone thinks Slone can play at UK but seem to think that because Arrez doesn't have his offensive game he has no business there.

You obviously havent read that thread very thoroughly. Nobody has said Arrez should not be a walk-on at UK.

When I was on the j.v. team at Alice Lloyd College, I scored 17 points against Stephen Jackson (the one that plays for the Golden State Warriors) when he was at Oak Hill Academy. Looking at that one game, there is no reason whatsoever that I shouldn't be starting for the Celtics right now. :thumb:

That just shows my point exactly, one game doesn't mean much at all!!

I believe he could. If he were somewhere like EKU or Morehead St. I believe he would be a big contributer right now. The term mid-major is way too broad.
At this point, Morehead and Eastern are more low-major than mid-major. And apparently, neither one of them sees Slone that way ... maybe they're wrong, maybe they're not.

That just shows my point exactly, one game doesn't mean much at all!!
So now we're equating a long-ago game between Oak Hill Academy and Alice Lloyd's JV team (boy, I bet the Warriors were up for that one) with a state quarterfinal game. Whatever.