Food for thought

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the bolded part, am I interpretting your comment to mean that the extremism in this country's political parties is a good thing? And do you think that with the increased communication of ideas in the modern era vs back in the founding era, that the extreme polarization of the parties due to the extremists makes it harder to move the country forward than "back in the day"? Are you happy when politicians today refuse to act on things because of partisan reasons (approving federal judges for example). Weren't you disappointed when the Kentucky legislators refused to adopt a budget a few years ago as a result of largely partisan grandstanding? Me, I just think its crazy when politicians and people put their party loyalties ahead of the country. I fully realize that some people's beliefs are the same as the extreme planks of their party's platform. But there are a lot of people that get so wrapped up in pushing their party and have a win at all costs attitude, that the country suffers. Think Karl Rove, to mention a Republican (although I could just as easily have mentioned a Democrat). I've had way too many conversations with people in both parties that will try to unseat an incumbent doing a great job, or not appoint a very qualified person to a state board, or will not support a piece of legislation filed by a person just because that person is not a member of the "correct" political party. And that is just wrong, wrong, wrong and stupid, stupid, stupid. It must change and Americans are going to have to start electing people that can at least see the other side's perspectives and try to work together.

No, I was trying to say that this country has always had the political extreme that has blocked it's path at times. :thumb:

No, I was trying to say that this country has always had the political extreme that has blocked it's path at times. :thumb:

Gotcha! Sorry about misunderstanding your post. And now that I understand it, I agree with you. :thumb:

It seems like many posters on here and many Americans for years have been lamenting that partisan politics have really hurt America. Due to the nature of the primaries, we've not been able to vote on a centrist or moderate, rather been forced to chose from two candidates nominated by the extremists of their respective party.

McCain somehow has, as a moderate, been able to become the Republican nominee. And I don't think that anyone can deny that he is a centrist or moderate on a lot of issues, not all, but certainly he is not a right winger, that's for sure. Heck, you don't get the scathing criticism that he has from the far right wing of the party if you are in lock step with their beliefs.

But if you look at Senators Obama and Clinton, there has been zero criticism of their positions from the far left wing of the Democratic Party. Which I can only logically believe and conclude is due to the fact that their positions are in line with and not to the right of the far left wing positions. No criticism has to equate with acceptance does it not? If either of them were centrists or moderates, they would have received the same scathing criticism from the far left that McCain received from the far right, wouldn't they?

Where is Jesse Venture? :lol::lol::lol:

Not being smart alec at all but did the bolded really happen?

Bloody Monday

The following year (1855), at Louisville, Ky., the elections were attended with such rioting and bloodshed, the result of Knownothing agitation, that the day (5 Aug.) acquired the name of "Bloody Monday". The cathedral was invaded by the mob and was saved from destruction only by the prudence of Bishop Spalding, who, in a letter to Bishop Kenrick summing up the results of the day's proceedings, said: "We have just passed through a reign of terror surpassed only by the Philadelphia riots. Nearly one hundred poor Irish have been butchered or burned and some twenty houses have been consumed in the flames. The City authorities, all Knownothings, looked calmly on and they are now endeavouring to lay the blame on the Catholics" (see "Life of Archbishop Spalding", by J.L. Spalding, p. 185).

Anti-Catholicism in the United States

I know Wikipedia is to be taken with a grain of salt but this article seems to be well referenced.

This quote caught my eye:

Philip Jenkins, an Episcopalian historian, in The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice (Oxford University Press 2005 ISBN 0-19-515480-0) maintains that some people who otherwise avoid offending members of racial, religious, ethnic or gender groups have no reservations about venting their hatred of Catholics.

And in honesty, though, does it not go both ways? Catholics, Pope, don't believe Protestants are getting into heaven, do they?

I've never heard that (which is not to say that some don't believe it). What I have heard is many prayers and hopes for re-unification of Christian churches. I have also had a person that I consider a friend tell me I was going to the other place because I followed the Catholic faith.

The following year (1855), at Louisville, Ky., the elections were attended with such rioting and bloodshed, the result of Knownothing agitation, that the day (5 Aug.) acquired the name of "Bloody Monday". The cathedral was invaded by the mob and was saved from destruction only by the prudence of Bishop Spalding, who, in a letter to Bishop Kenrick summing up the results of the day's proceedings, said: "We have just passed through a reign of terror surpassed only by the Philadelphia riots. Nearly one hundred poor Irish have been butchered or burned and some twenty houses have been consumed in the flames. The City authorities, all Knownothings, looked calmly on and they are now endeavouring to lay the blame on the Catholics" (see "Life of Archbishop Spalding", by J.L. Spalding, p. 185).

That's all very nice but you left out the next paragraph:

Bishop Spalding, AD at Trinity, pleaded with Bishop Kenrick, HC at St Xavier. "Bishop, you must restrain your student body and alumni. It was only a pre-season loss for them. Destroying the Lord's House is uncalled for, even if we did burn your rectory after last year's loss in the city championship."

That's all very nice but you left out the next paragraph:

Bishop Spalding, AD at Trinity, pleaded with Bishop Kenrick, HC at St Xavier. "Bishop, you must restrain your student body and alumni. It was only a pre-season loss for them. Destroying the Lord's House is uncalled for, even if we did burn your rectory after last year's city loss in the city championship."

:D:D:D

Was that the pro wrestler turned Governor?

Yes. That is why he got elected because the people of Minnesota were fed up with who they had to vote for. Kinda of like None of the above in Brewter's Million.

I think I would have voted for the Body if he had ran for President.

My favorite Jesse the Body comment. A wrestler was standing on the throat of another wrestler and the straight commentator said he needed to be disqualified and Jesse replied, "You want to disqualify someone for being aggressive."