Hillary Just Said Something I like...

Don't get me wrong, I don't think she could do this nor do I think she really SHOULD do this, but schools are putting a far greater financial burden on students these days than ever. My last semester at UofL I was paying over 50% more what I had started out at, and that was only from fall of 03 to fall of 07.

Schools REALLY need to figure out a way to make money without making us work two jobs to pay for tuition because we aren't blessed with athletic ability or good fortune to get triple scholarships.

But student loans are meant to be paid back. For those students who got the student loans who DIDN'T work, and got to spend more time at school and were able to graduate in a timely fashion and got to spend time at parties... sorry, I don't have much pity on you.

I've worked my almost my entire college career. For a few semesters I would get up at 6:30 AM work until either 11 AM or 3 PM and then go to class until late at night. I did that because I, like you mentioned, can not play sports that well.

I will have a lot of student loans when I'm done. This DOES NOT MEAN that I will vote for Hillary. It was something I noticed that pertained to me directly and it caught my attention. Maybe I should apologize to people on here because it seems they can't understand why someone would vote for a President who would do something good for them as an individual. Apparently no one on this board ever does that...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely me. If something like this happened, I guess it would be the Government. Which would not bother me at all. Our government has spent money in much worse ways...

Who pays for the government? What makes you believe that your neighbor should pay for your education and his own?

But to think (and I know you agree here) that you should be forgiven your student loans is preposterous.
She isn't offering to just forgive student loans for the heck of it. The premise is tied to a certain amount of time spent in a position that benefits the general public.

Not knowing the details, this might not be a bad proposal ... not unlike some programs that do the same for doctors that agree to practice for a certain amount of time in an impoverished area and teachers that work in inner-city systems for a few years once they graduate.

Whether it would happen if she's President, I do not know...

But she said that she plans on forgiving all debt (student loans) for students who go into public service jobs, like law enforcement. Seeing as how that is the field I'm really interested in going into...she might be convincing me to vote for her. Definitely makes me think. I'll have to see if I can find out more of what she's talking about.

Sounds a whole lot to me like a desparate attempt to buy votes.

It also sounds like a total crock to me. How many people have scrimped and sacraficed to repay their student loans on time? Wouldn't something like this just be a slap in the face to them. If Billary wants to do something like this then she needs to try to start a new grant program, not forgive loans that people have already agreed to repay.

This is a load of crap! While I appreciate people in puplic service jobs, no one twisted your arm and made you go in that direction. This is a desperate attempt on her part to gain the votes of college age kids. Obama is kicking her butt, and she is trying anything she can to turn things around.

Out of my post how do you get that I don't want to pay the money back? Unless something like Hillary stated happens, I will pay them back. Otherwise the Government would be doing it for me. Is that so bad?

With all of the complaining from the left about how bad things are financially, yes it is. In fact I really can't believe that anyone on the left would support this since they are the ones that continue to tell us how badly off the economy is and how poorly funded the government is.

Where do you suppose funding for this would comefrom?

Out of my post how do you get that I don't want to pay the money back? Unless something like Hillary stated happens, I will pay them back. Otherwise the Government would be doing it for me. Is that so bad?

From your post that stated that you'd be interested in voting for a President that would be willing to forgive your college loans??

I am in the same line of work. I had to pay back my loans. No one offered an entitlement program to me simply because I chose to work for the federal government. I willingly and gladly paid back my loans because, unlike a car that will one day depreciate to nothing, these loans gave me my successful and nicely paid career - a career that continues to this day and has paid for many nice things. Trust me, you'll feel the same way. You just don't realize it right now because you're young.

I'm sorry, but all I've seen on this board lately is you arguing for or against a candidate based on their views on guns, because YOU like guns. Pot meet kettle...is that how you say that? :lol:
:rolleyes:

You OBVIOUSLY don't know the difference between a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT and a Gimme Program. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly HB, lame comparison!

She isn't offering to just forgive student loans for the heck of it. The premise is tied to a certain amount of time spent in a position that benefits the general public.

Not knowing the details, this might not be a bad proposal ... not unlike some programs that do the same for doctors that agree to practice for a certain amount of time in an impoverished area and teachers that work in inner-city systems for a few years once they graduate.

Below is reason enough, add to that it will come from tax payers pockets.

This is a load of crap! While I appreciate people in puplic service jobs, no one twisted your arm and made you go in that direction.

From your post that stated that you'd be interested in voting for a President that would be willing to forgive your college loans??

I am in the same line of work. I had to pay back my loans. No one offered an entitlement program to me simply because I chose to work for the federal government. I willingly and gladly paid back my loans because, unlike a car that will one day depreciate to nothing, these loans gave me my successful and nicely paid career - a career that continues to this day and has paid for many nice things. Trust me, you'll feel the same way. You just don't realize it right now because you're young.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

An entitlement program is EXACTLY what it is. Ridiculous!

I've worked my almost my entire college career. For a few semesters I would get up at 6:30 AM work until either 11 AM or 3 PM and then go to class until late at night. I did that because I, like you mentioned, can not play sports that well.

I will have a lot of student loans when I'm done. This DOES NOT MEAN that I will vote for Hillary. It was something I noticed that pertained to me directly and it caught my attention. Maybe I should apologize to people on here because it seems they can't understand why someone would vote for a President who would do something good for them as an individual. Apparently no one on this board ever does that...

Call me spiteful, but there are a lot of people who, unlike you or I, didn't have to work during college, or if they did it was part time maybe a day a week and only for extra beer money. I wouldn't want them to be released of the same burden that those of us who worked hard would have. I'm not even saying I don't like or respect those people or that I wouldn't have loved to have been one myself, but it wouldn't be fair. There's a lot of responsibility to be learned from college, and what Hillary's proposing, IMO, is not responsible at all.

When have I ever said that I'm not willing to pay back my loans? I didn't...

I have always had the desire to work in law enforcement, even before I heard this statement from Hillary.

Should I not be excited at the prospect of having $20-$30K of my college being paid for?

Call me spiteful, but there are a lot of people who, unlike you or I, didn't have to work during college, or if they did it was part time maybe a day a week and only for extra beer money. I wouldn't want them to be released of the same burden that those of us who worked hard would have. I'm not even saying I don't like or respect those people or that I wouldn't have loved to have been one myself, but it wouldn't be fair. There's a lot of responsibility to be learned from college, and what Hillary's proposing, IMO, is not responsible at all.

I don't think it's a problem of responsibility at all. It's rewarding people who want to do a public service job. I seriously doubt this will ever happen anyways, because I don't even think she'll win the nomination for the Democrats. I just finally heard something that directly pertained to me in this election and it excited me a bit. :D