Original Rookie

Will UK make the NCAA Tournament?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Will UK make the NCAA Tournament?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UK is finally starting to play together like a team, I think the beginning of the season was a lot of water testing, like all the different starting lineups. They had to figure out who could play with who and how everyone could work with each other. I think everyone needed time to adjust to Gillispie and he needed time to adjust to them. I'm glad to see them start to play well, and I hope all the so called "fans" of Kentucky basketball who were dogging them early in the year are eating their words right about now.

I think they will for various reasons:

1. They're Kentucky.

2. Their fans = $$$

3. Coming on strong late

Of course, much of this remains to be seen. If UK can finish with no more than 2 more conference losses, they should be in before the SEC tournament. With a first or second round bow-out, they're sitting firmly on the bubble. A semi-final or finals appearance and they're solidly in.

But I think the team has the right attitude right now- "one game at a time."

The Cats are on the front men's bball page on ESPN.

bubble watch

The big story, though, could be Kentucky. With five straight wins, the Cats have legitimately put themselves at least back into the discussion stage. It probably will require a repeat of the 6-2 first half of the SEC slate, but it's not impossible at this point.

The Wildcats have a ton of work left to do, but we have to take a quick look this week after they improved to 6-2 and look much more formidable now fully healthy and buying into Billy Gillispie's scheme. You'd have to think it would take 12 SEC wins to help erase the taint of a bad nonconference slate that includes crippling home losses to Gardner-Webb and San Diego. What happens, though, if the Cats end up 11-5, finish second in the SEC East and make the SEC tourney semis? The committee doesn't like leapfrogging teams all that much. Could they really put three or four other teams in ahead of Kentucky that would have finished behind the Cats in league play? An interesting situation to keep an eye on, starting Tuesday at Vandy.

While the SEC is down, Ky has been fortunate of late. With home game wins, the last round of games before the SEC tourney will tell the tell. I voted no, because I think they lose or go .500 the rest of the way. Ending up with 15-16 wins. That could get them in, but I don't think so. The committee has always taken heat over teams like KY when they don't fair well. Most of the post above refer to this. With that said, I think that it will take that win number 17 to get there.

I would just like to know why the people who are voting "No" to this question aren't posting anything. I would just like to hear their thoughts also, maybe we can get some debate going.

Those early season loses at home to San Diego and Gardner Webb, and the loses to Houston and UAB are going to be too much to overcome IMO. I feel that Kentucky will do no better than 5-3 in the 2nd half of the SEC season which will leave them at 17-12 heading into SEC tournament play. I just can't see Kentucky winning three straight games in the SEC giving how fragile the Cats have been this year. It's been tough enough on some of the players trying to play thru injuries, it will be that much tougher trying to play three straight days.

They're 12-9, they're RPI is still in the mid-90's, so right now they're still not close. They would need another 6-2 run through their 2nd half of the SEC schedule. If they then win 2 tournament games and get to 20 wins and a 12-4 SEC record, does that outweight 2 losses to mid-majors and 2 more to SD and GW? I don't know--the Committee does some strange things sometimes--but they would have a solid "last 10 games" record and a pretty good SOS.