Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Harlan County's schedule

Featured Replies

Harlan County's tentative schedule is as follows: I don't think all contracts are signed just yet.

 

Hazard - Home

Lynn Camp- Away

Lee Co. VA.- Away

Middlesboro- Home

Breathitt- Home

Powell- Away

Fleming- Away

Estill- Home

Somerset- Away

 

Now, this is not in the right order because I am not sure what order it actually is. They are currently trying to find their 10th game. To answer your question Scatbackskin, no Harlan County and Harlan ind. will not be playing next year. Harlan Ind. chose not to play the Blackbears.

  • Replies 75
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to apologize for my earlier comment. I thought Harlan was one of the schools consolidating into this new school. When Scatbackskin2 asked if Harlan Co would be playing Harlan, I responded back in a bit of a smart alec way, even threw in a :rolleyes:

 

Sorry Scatback, I'll pay closer attention next time. :thumb:

There will be a myriad of organizational problems to overcome not the least of which will be finding a coach and implementing his system. Still, I think people will be surprized at the talent level of Harlan County. I wish someone from Harlan would post a list of former players who have become star D-1 athletes from Wah Wah Jones to Charles Thomas, Freddie Maggard, Bernie Bickerstaff, Phil Cox, many others. I would not be surprized to see them run the table in their first year.

Also heard they will be playing Walt Verona (?) first year team from northern Ky. Is that true?

There will be a myriad of organizational problems to overcome not the least of which will be finding a coach and implementing his system. Still, I think people will be surprized at the talent level of Harlan County. I wish someone from Harlan would post a list of former players who have become star D-1 athletes from Wah Wah Jones to Charles Thomas, Freddie Maggard, Bernie Bickerstaff, Phil Cox, many others. I would not be surprized to see them run the table in their first year.

 

Look at the population data from years ago and look at it now. Hard to compare the past to the present. Yes talent will be around but not overwhelming talent that our brothers in the large urban areas have. Don't look for them to run the table. The first game on the schedule will be one in which they will be an underdog going in.

George Massey, Charles Tinsley, Anthony Ravizee (Morehead St.), Ryan Duckworth, Eddie Creech, Matt Haynes, Jamal Battle, Sanford Baskin, Bobby McIlquham, Eural Allen, Kenny Smith, Roger Chapman all from Cumberland that could have or did play D1. I know that I left some off. David Hensley and Scotty Russell from Cawood and Evarts. If you would have added some of the Evarts, Cumberland and Cawood teams from the past....MAN!!

 

Watusi...it's fine. I just didn't want to do anything against forum rules...

Look at the population data from years ago and look at it now. Hard to compare the past to the present. Yes talent will be around but not overwhelming talent that our brothers in the large urban areas have. Don't look for them to run the table. The first game on the schedule will be one in which they will be an underdog going in.

 

What??? I disagree with this even more than your North Carolina comments on the BB forum.

 

I don't think they will be able to "run the table", but how can you say they will be an underdog not even knowing who they will play that first game?

 

There is PLENTY of talent here regardless of the population.

 

It will all depend on how well the new coach can evaluate that talent and put it to use.

What??? I disagree with this even more than your North Carolina comments on the BB forum.

 

I don't think they will be able to "run the table", but how can you say they will be an underdog not even knowing who they will play that first game?

 

There is PLENTY of talent here regardless of the population.

 

It will all depend on how well the new coach can evaluate that talent and put it to use.

 

I think he was refering to the first game as the Hazard game. It ws first on the list above.

I'm not sure if that will be the first game. The original poster stated that they weren't sure the order was correct.

 

Regardless would HCHS be an underdog to Hazard? Serious quesion. I don't think they would be.

I'm not sure if that will be the first game. The original poster stated that they weren't sure the order was correct.

 

Regardless would HCHS be an underdog to Hazard? Serious quesion. I don't think they would be.

 

Right now I think so. But if you come up with a great hire and things go better than most outside of the county think in the transition, then maybe not.

 

Kid vs Kid ,no ...you will have just as many as they will. That's not always all you need.

George Massey was a name I was trying to remember. Thanks, SBS2.

 

Leonidas is correct on the population, it has nose dived from a high of 75K plus in 1940 to less than 30K now. If it were not for that fact I would be predicting a championship for them in whatever class they end up in.

 

I'm not a Harlan County native nor resident, but I've always admired what the native sons of such a rural county have achieved in the past century.

By the way things are quiet in Harlan County. Who are the Bears after now. Any word on the next coach. Nothing has been posted in the last week or so?

Based upon Cawood's old schedule and the open dates some schools inherited from Evarts and Cumberland closing, I'm guessing the Harlan County schedule will look something like this:

 

There is still one game missing. Someone posted it might be Walton-Verona. It could also be a bowl game in Adair County in Week One, considering Evarts played there last season. We'll see!

 

Week

1 - OPEN

2 - @Lynn Camp

3 - @Fleming County

4 - @Lee County (Virginia)

5 - Breathitt County

6 - Hazard

7 - @Powell County

8 - Middlesboro

9 - Estill County

10 - OPEN

11 - @Somerset

By the way things are quiet in Harlan County. Who are the Bears after now. Any word on the next coach. Nothing has been posted in the last week or so?

 

Maybe the man in charge up in the Central office may try his hand at coaching again. Heard he met with next years players???

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.