New coach at Scott High?

Why bother with a committee if the Principle is going to choose who he wants as the Head Coach. I have seen to many times where one person makes the call and it is a bad one. Take the time to interview everyone who applies as you never know there maybe a diamond in the rough out there trying to get a coaching job. Again only my opinion friends. JD

If I can respectfully point out another way of looking at it. If the principal made the decision without getting the input of some interested people, there would be a lot of people criticizing the principle for not doing so. As long as the principle listens and considers the input of the committee members, I have no problem with him/her making the final call. Good decision makers usually get input on decisions from various people to help the decision makers get all perspectives before the decision is made. Since the principle is basically responsible for all that happens at a school (and therefor the conduct and performance of the head coach), I've got no problem with the principle having the final say.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why bother with a committee if the Principle is going to choose who he wants as the Head Coach. I have seen to many times where one person makes the call and it is a bad one. Take the time to interview everyone who applies as you never know there maybe a diamond in the rough out there trying to get a coaching job. Again only my opinion friends. JD

:thumb:Principals who are secure in their position and who work well with the community aren't afraid to gather input. Those that don't usually do things rather secretively and always hire those within their inner circle and leave themselves open for criticism and rightfully so IMO.

If I can respectfully point out another way of looking at it. If the principal made the decision without getting the input of some interested people, there would be a lot of people criticizing the principle for not doing so. As long as the principle listens and considers the input of the committee members, I have no problem with him/her making the final call. Good decision makers usually get input on decisions from various people to help the decision makers get all perspectives before the decision is made. Since the principle is basically responsible for all that happens at a school (and therefor the conduct and performance of the head coach), I've got no problem with the principle having the final say.

I have no problem with the Principal having the final say. As you have stated that obviously makes sense but alot of Principals have a track record that one only needs to refer back to see if he/she has made good decisions with regards to hiring coaches and other staff in the past. Most do a very good job but their are a few that don't.

Leatherneck and HJ, I have no problem with the principle making the final decission as long as he looks and listens to all the imput from the committee. I just don't like it when one makes the decission without listening to anyone or whomever is involved in the process. JD

Leatherneck and HJ, I have no problem with the principle making the final decission as long as he looks and listens to all the imput from the committee. I just don't like it when one makes the decission without listening to anyone or whomever is involved in the process. JD

Like what happened at Lloyd this year ? The one person being the A.D.

I wish they would have had a committee and not have just one person make the decision on the next head footbal coach.

Most definitely agree.

:thumb:

I think the idea of a commitee is a good idea, but it should be limited. AD, Principal, Input from players. Not from community members, not from parents. While I understand its important for parents and community members to like their new head coach, I feel that the people who went to college and got their degree in Education should be the ones making the decision. More often than not parents are the first people to turn on a coach if little Joey isn't playing enough or if the coach makes a questionable call. Coaches are on the field and not in the stands for a reason. They know what they're doing. That goes for the people hired to make these decisions too. They are getting paid to make the decision. Support your team no matter who is the head coach or who the principal picked. High school sports are supposed to be about fun and more often than not, it gets turned into a lot of drama that really isn't needed and does nothing but distract players and coaches.

I think the idea of a commitee is a good idea, but it should be limited. AD, Principal, Input from players. Not from community members, not from parents. While I understand its important for parents and community members to like their new head coach, I feel that the people who went to college and got their degree in Education should be the ones making the decision. QUOTE]

so parents aren't college educated?:eek:

I think the idea of a commitee is a good idea, but it should be limited. AD, Principal, Input from players. Not from community members, not from parents. While I understand its important for parents and community members to like their new head coach, I feel that the people who went to college and got their degree in Education should be the ones making the decision. More often than not parents are the first people to turn on a coach if little Joey isn't playing enough or if the coach makes a questionable call. Coaches are on the field and not in the stands for a reason. They know what they're doing. That goes for the people hired to make these decisions too. They are getting paid to make the decision. Support your team no matter who is the head coach or who the principal picked. High school sports are supposed to be about fun and more often than not, it gets turned into a lot of drama that really isn't needed and does nothing but distract players and coaches.

:confused: Community members pay taxes and volunteer at the schools where their kids attend. They have a stake in who gets selected to coach their child and there fore should at least have some input.

Suggesting that just because someone has coach next to his name means they no more is ridiculous in my opinion. Most coaches are knowledgable and do a fine job but their are others that are not respected by community members, boosters and most of all the kids who play for them. Bad coaches can literally suck the life out of a program. It doesn't happen often but when it does it isn't very pretty to watch.

So I would say that all stakeholders should have input and and administration should look to everyone for guidance and not just a few who often times prefer not to be true to the process.

:confused: Community members pay taxes and volunteer at the schools where their kids attend. They have a stake in who gets selected to coach their child and there fore should at least have some input.

Suggesting that just because someone has coach next to his name means they no more is ridiculous in my opinion. Most coaches are knowledgable and do a fine job but their are others that are not respected by community members, boosters and most of all the kids who play for them. Bad coaches can literally suck the life out of a program. It doesn't happen often but when it does it isn't very pretty to watch.

So I would say that all stakeholders should have input and and administration should look to everyone for guidance and not just a few who often times prefer not to be true to the process.

This is why Site Based councils were created. But if a school is hiring the person as a teacher and a coach the people who have a degree in education might know a little more about the persons abilities in that aspect than someone not trained in education. After all a High School's job is to educate students not win Football games. It is great when you do both.

This is why Site Based councils were created. But if a school is hiring the person as a teacher and a coach the people who have a degree in education might know a little more about the persons abilities in that aspect than someone not trained in education. After all a High School's job is to educate students not win Football games. It is great when you do both.

SBDMs were formed with the right intentions IMO but at a great many schools they are very inaffective and Principals and Superintendents tend to like it that way. They tend to treat SBDMs as a necessary evil. They are controlled by a Principal who controls the meeting and has 3 teachers that serve who don't rock the boat so they stay on the good side of their boss. The parent members are outnumbered and seldom really know what power they really have.

IMO to much has been taken away from the local School Boards who were elected by the community to represent them. A SBDM can be made up of all people who don't live in the schools community. All they have to do is teach or have a kid in the school and in my opinion that is wrong.

SBDMs were formed with the right intentions IMO but at a great many schools they are very inaffective and Principals and Superintendents tend to like it that way. They tend to treat SBDMs as a necessary evil. They are controlled by a Principal who controls the meeting and has 3 teachers that serve who don't rock the boat so they stay on the good side of their boss. The parent members are outnumbered and seldom really know what power they really have.

IMO to much has been taken away from the local School Boards who were elected by the community to represent them. A SBDM can be made up of all people who don't live in the schools community. All they have to do is teach or have a kid in the school and in my opinion that is wrong.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that make them members of the school community?