Movies that can be used for educational purposes

ladiesbballcoach

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Insider is a great movie to share in a health ed. class. It's based on a true story and tells about Jeffrey Wigand, a scientist that worked for a big tobacco company out of Louisville. Wigand quits and threatens to testify against Big Tobacco in the multi-billion dollar class action lawsuit that happened a few years back. Once the tobacco companies realize he is planning on releasing inside information, he begins getting threats made against him. This movie definitely shows Big Tobacco in a negative light and highlights the lies and deceit the companies use to lure in new smokers. It is rated 'R' for strong language, but I definitely think it would be appropriate for high schoolers. A documentary on the movie can be ordered from the Centers of Disease Control website on dvd. It's called "Through the Smoke Screen" and is free. It's a great substitute if you are unable to show a rated 'R' movie.

The Insider is a great movie to share in a health ed. class. It's based on a true story and tells about a Jeffrey Wigand, a scientist that worked for a big tobacco company out of Louisville. Wigand quits and threatens to testify against Big Tobacco in the multi-billion dollar class action lawsuit. Once the tobacco companies realize he is planning on releasing inside information, he begins getting threats made against him. This movie definitely shows Big Tobacco in a negative light and highlights the lies and deceit the companies use to lure in new smokers. It is rated 'R' for strong language, but I definitely think it would be appropriate for high schoolers. A documentary on the movie can be ordered from the Centers of Disease Control website on dvd. It's called "Through the Smoke Screen" and is free. It's a great substitute if you are unable to show a rated 'R' movie.

Great choice!:ylsuper:

Patriot I know is American Revolution but is it purely fictional or has some historical basis behind it.

Last of the Mohicans what would be the subject area?

The Patriot is highly fictionalized and features made up characters. Mel Gibson's character is loosely based on Francis Marion and Col. Tavington is loosely based on Col. Banastre Tarleton. The climactic battle is similar to the Battle of Cowpens but is also greatly changed. I would not reccomend The Patriot from a historically accurate viewpoint.

The Patriot is highly fictionalized and features made up characters. Mel Gibson's character is loosely based on Francis Marion and Col. Tavington is loosely based on Col. Banastre Tarleton. The climactic battle is similar to the Battle of Cowpens but is also greatly changed. I would not reccomend The Patriot from a historically accurate viewpoint.

Awesome none the less.:dancingpa

What about it makes it unsuitable? We watched movies far worse than that in high school.

Maybe my school was a little more strict then... It was hard to pass anything rated over PG13... And being that Crash has lots of foul language, violence, and some nudity, I just figured that it wouldn't play.