Movies that can be used for educational purposes

ladiesbballcoach

We live in a video age. Kids can learn things better video wise than any other means in today's world.

So, I try to mix in movies with the subjects we are studying.

Thought I would open up a thread for suggestions.

I use movies like Tora! Tora! Tora!, landing scene of Private Ryan, Luther, John Q, Glory, Wall Street.

But other movies and the specific educational subject they are covering are out there and would be good to use in a HS class. It can be covering math, science, history, english, across the board as I teach across the board.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lean on Me with Morgan Freeman is still a great one.

Dangerous Minds with Michelle Pfeiffer, while I know the idea of teachers and her students clashing and then coming together has been done to death. Dangerous Minds is based on a true story and came out 12 years ago, long before the trend really picked up.

12 Angry Men will always be a classic.

One of my favorite movies is “The Right Stuff” about the beginning of the space race. The History Channel had it on with a discussion with “space experts” during the breaks and it was very interesting. Also “Patton” with George C. Scott.

Movies that I show in class:

Astronomy

Contact

Deep Impact

Apollo 13

Signs

Advanced and Conceptual Physics

October Sky

Earth Space Science

Dante's Peak

The Core

With these "Hollywood" films, we can go back and discuss scientific accuracies and inaccuracies. Some of them are pretty inaccurate (The Core), but it provides a great path for discussion as to what IS correct. They see many of these movies on TV or in the theatre and by watching them in class, you can correct those misconceptions. Also, we will write movie reviews on them sometimes, for the writing portfolio.

Recently, I purchased the Planet Earth documentary series. My students are enthralled by the footage. They sit in spellbound silence as the scenes unfold. This is great for those days that 1/2 of the class in on a field trip and you need something for those that remain.

Movies that I show in class:

Astronomy

Contact

Deep Impact

Apollo 13

Signs

Advanced and Conceptual Physics

October Sky

Earth Space Science

Dante's Peak

The Core

Apollo 13 is a VERY nice choice. There is a commentary track on the Apollo 13 dvd where Jim Lovell and his wife comment on the film and tell which is real and which was all Hollywood. Just amazing that a majority of the film was as accurate as they could make it.

One of my favorite movies is “The Right Stuff” about the beginning of the space race. The History Channel had it on with a discussion with “space experts” during the breaks and it was very interesting. Also “Patton” with George C. Scott.

Right Stuff would be great.

I have Patton and have used it. I have always wanted to do the Longest Day but have never been able to get a copy of it.

Lean on Me with Morgan Freeman is still a great one.

Dangerous Minds with Michelle Pfeiffer, while I know the idea of teachers and her students clashing and then coming together has been done to death. Dangerous Minds is based on a true story and came out 12 years ago, long before the trend really picked up.

12 Angry Men will always be a classic.

Do those have specific subjects that they are covering or rather just feel good educational movies?

Right Stuff would be great.

I have Patton and have used it. I have always wanted to do the Longest Day but have never been able to get a copy of it.

Do those have specific subjects that they are covering or rather just feel good educational movies?

Probably more feel good educational movies. Don't judge a book by its cover, believing in yourself, working hard, etc, etc. Nothing groundbreaking, but nothing that has historical value.

I have never seen and wonder about language/nudity etc, but what about the movie that has Gene Hackman and looks at the African Americans that were buried in the dam in Mississippi?

Mississippi Burning, GREAT movie no nudity but very violent and stron language. You can rent the edited version.

Probably more feel good educational movies. Don't judge a book by its cover, believing in yourself, working hard, etc, etc. Nothing groundbreaking, but nothing that has historical value.

In KY, that would mean having an educational activity that does not cover the core content.

I need a slap on the hand smilie.