Movies that can be used for educational purposes

ladiesbballcoach

Cinderella Man with Russell Crowe for the depression era.

This is a great one, I like it because it shows Hoovervilles...

Seabusicut is another that deals with the time frame of the Depression.

I use unitedstreaming.com for video's to use in the classroom. It is not movies, but some really good stuff here.:thumb:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only part of 300 I would use would be the very beginning of the battle when the Spartans are still in Phalanx. That would give the students an idea of the regimented fighting style the Greeks excelled in. After they break phalanx in the film though it would be worthless educationally.

The History Channel had a special called "Last Stand of the 300." It went into great detail about the battle and the phalanx and would be really good for school. They did have actors and CGI effects so it was entertaining. I'm sure it's on their website.

The History Channel had a special called "Last Stand of the 300." It went into great detail about the battle and the phalanx and would be really good for school. They did have actors and CGI effects so it was entertaining. I'm sure it's on their website.

I have seen it, but for the sake of keeping the students attention and interest 300 would hold more sway than anything with The History Channel label on it.

Although I personally love most things on The History Channel.

The Insider is a great movie to share in a health ed. class. It's based on a true story and tells about Jeffrey Wigand, a scientist that worked for a big tobacco company out of Louisville. Wigand quits and threatens to testify against Big Tobacco in the multi-billion dollar class action lawsuit that happened a few years back. Once the tobacco companies realize he is planning on releasing inside information, he begins getting threats made against him. This movie definitely shows Big Tobacco in a negative light and highlights the lies and deceit the companies use to lure in new smokers. It is rated 'R' for strong language, but I definitely think it would be appropriate for high schoolers. A documentary on the movie can be ordered from the Centers of Disease Control website on dvd. It's called "Through the Smoke Screen" and is free. It's a great substitute if you are unable to show a rated 'R' movie.

good movie for a journalism class also

One of the best movies for your purposes would be "Amistad". Nothing too offensive, and very powerful, plus it is modern enough to keep their attentions. You probably know, but it covers the slave trade, early American politics, abolition, and a strong dose of ethics related to politics.

Amazing Grace even better than Amistad

Social Studies Movies

Patton – Great WWII movie – Shows all European theaters where US fought plus most of the important Generals on both sides plus it’s rated PG

All Quiet on Western Front (1979 version) – good WWI movie showing futility of war.

Catherine the Great – 1995 – starring Catherine Zeta-Jones enough said :sssh:

Tale of Two Cities (I like the Masterpiece theater version) – French Revolution

Fly Boys – another good WWI movie

Izzy and Moe – US Prohibition movie

Thirteen Days – cold War/Cuban Missile crisis

The Last Valley – Thirty Year War

Anna of Thousand Days – story of Anne Boleyn

Dances with Wolves – power western movement movie

Plus numerous movies/clips from History Channel and Discovery Channel. Unitedstreaming.com great site for KY teachers

One of the best movies for your purposes would be "Amistad". Nothing too offensive, and very powerful, plus it is modern enough to keep their attentions. You probably know, but it covers the slave trade, early American politics, abolition, and a strong dose of ethics related to politics.

I am guessing you forgot the naked girls, full frontal nudity, on the slave ship?:eek:

I showed it today but had previewed it over the weekend. When the slave began to tell his story, I hit the skip button on the DVD and went straight to the trial. I told them about the 50 slaves being sent to their watery graves but couldn't show it.