Belfry / Johnson Central predictions..

SuperB

Who wins  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

I have no idea who will win this game, but I'm very interested in the outcome. I think if Belfry wins, it should clearly cement them as the team to beat in Class 3A...if they win big:scared:

As a Breathitt County fan, I'm curious to see what happens, because this game could give us a great idea about who stands where in 3A football...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Given the relative strengths of these two teams' schedules, it is amazing to see so many people picking Belfry to win easily. I would not be surprised by an easy JC win or a close Belfry win, but a Belfry rout of the Golden Eagles would be a shock. Johnson Central is as good as Ironton is in a good year and the Pirates have rarely beaten Ironton.

The Wheelersburg team that Johnson Central beat 14-3 earlier this season has now reeled off five straight wins, including handing Waverly its only loss of the season by a 31-7 score. The three teams who have defeated Wheelersburg this season have a combined record of 24-3. Barring a rash of turnovers, the Golden Eagles will put plenty of points on the board to win.

Against Louisville Central, the BGP #1 team for most of the season in 3A, I believe that JC was up 41-7 before Matney began substituting, which allowed LC to close the gap to 49-29. The teams who have beaten Louisville Central have a combined record of 33-3 and nobody has scored more points on the 'Jackets than the Golden Eagles.

I expect a close, hard fought game and I believe that the winner will establish themselves as the best team in eastern Kentucky.

Given the relative strengths of these two teams' schedules, it is amazing to see so many people picking Belfry to win easily. I would not be surprised by an easy JC win or a close Belfry win, but a Belfry rout of the Golden Eagles would be a shock. Johnson Central is as good as Ironton is in a good year and the Pirates have rarely beaten Ironton.

The Wheelersburg team that Johnson Central beat 14-3 earlier this season has now reeled off five straight wins, including handing Waverly its only loss of the season by a 31-7 score. The three teams who have defeated Wheelersburg this season have a combined record of 24-3. Barring a rash of turnovers, the Golden Eagles will put plenty of points on the board to win.

Against Louisville Central, the BGP #1 team for most of the season in 3A, I believe that JC was up 41-7 before Matney began substituting, which allowed LC to close the gap to 49-29. The teams who have beaten Louisville Central have a combined record of 33-3 and nobody has scored more points on the 'Jackets than the Golden Eagles.

I expect a close, hard fought game and I believe that the winner will establish themselves as the best team in eastern Kentucky.

Quit kidding yourself and all of the other posters on here. Johnson Central is heading in the right direction, but neither JC or Belfry have played football at the level Ironton has the last 20 years.

Belfry's state championship teams were beaten by Ironton, and Belfry's state title teams were better than this year's Johnson Central team, IMO.

Quit kidding yourself and all of the other posters on here. Johnson Central is heading in the right direction, but neither JC or Belfry have played football at the level Ironton has the last 20 years.

Belfry's state championship teams were beaten by Ironton, and Belfry's state title teams were better than this year's Johnson Central team, IMO.

I know that Ironton has had Belfry's number in 12 of their 13 meetings, but Ironton did lose a few games during those years, including a few games to Wheelersburg. I don't know how Belfry will approach Friday night's game, but I don't think that we will see Matney resting players for the playoffs. Belfry is a very tough place to win a football game, but this is the best Golden Eagles team by far to ever face the Pirates.

In the movie "The Patriot" their comes a critical point when The Ghost finishes reading Cornwallis' memoirs and returns to say "I just stepped into the mind of a genious."

After listening to the Jim Matney Show on 98.9 just now, I too feel as if I stepped into the mind of a high school coaching genious. Without even consdiering any of the brilliant insight you can take form his comments about the Ashland game, including his justification for running up the score, I will solely stick to what pertains to this thread, the upcoming Johnson Central vs. Belfry game.

For any Belfry fan wanting to know what he said that amde him so smart... it was NOTHING! Literally, despite constatnt probing by the host, Matney never gave any details about any strategy, any of Belfry's strengths, did not name a single Pirate player and how good they are... but what he did accomplish was paitning the picture of JC as a huge underdog that in his words, "hardly anyone is giving them a shot to win" and "hardly noone believes they are on the level that they can beat a team like Belfry", he also lamented on the JC fanbase and single handidly assured that about 2000 Eagle Fans will be on the road and be rowdy.

Matney was very confident, assuring that " The kids will come out with a chip on their shoulder", and that they will "surprise alot of people".

All the while,he made sure that everything that came out of his mouth was complimentary and positive, and by not mentioning anything specific about what Belfry does well he makes sure that no seed of doubt is planted in his player's minds.

I get the feeling we are about to see JC play their best game of the year this week.

Without even consdiering any of the brilliant insight you can take form his comments about the Ashland game, including his justification for running up the score, I will solely stick to what pertains to this thread, the upcoming Johnson Central vs. Belfry game.

Please share with us his justification for running up the score on Ashland.

Please share with us his justification for running up the score on Ashland.

I have been trying to figure out where everyone is getting that JC ran the score up? We jumped out to a 3 td lead very quickly only to see Ashland come back with 2 td's within about 3 minutes to cut the lead to 20-14. Then we have a 3 td lead with about 8 minutes to go even though it was 54-33 and Ashland and JC both still had there starters in. JC scores on a Grimm touchdown of about 40 yards. Ashland gets the ball back and goes for it on fourth down and doesn't make it from about the JC 15. JC scores on the first play to make it 67-33. So explain it to me how that is running up the score? I could see if it was 54-13 or so but it was still a ballgame and Ashland was moving the ball at will against us. Someone with a little bit of Football KNOWLEDGE please give me the insight on how people come up with this?

I really think that's a crazy prediction. JC deserves much more credit than that. They should be the prohibitive favorite.

Take a momment, relax and read the post again. This dont have a thing to do with JC being a bad team, I would like to see JC pull it out, but i think Belfry is to much for JC this year.

I think JC has one win over Belfry but it was by forfeit only so that is really not a win in my opinion!

Actually, I believe that technically JC has never beaten the Pirates. The game that JC claims to have won was a game that came down to a last second field goal in which one offical signal was good while the other officals signal was bad. In the end, they ruled the game winning FG bad thus giving Belfry the victory. Someone can correct me on that if Im wrong. But techincally, JC has never beaten Belfry, they just put that 1 win against Belfry in the program because they believe they won.

Tuesday Teaser... You May Not Know Him Now, But......

We have all heard of Grimm, Dials, Lee, and May, but here are three key players for each team to win the game

JOHNSON CENTRAL

- WR/DB Ian Welch: Not only is Welch the Eagle's leading receiver, he is one of the state's all-time leaders in Interceptions. With a very good Belfry run defense, the Eagles will need play action to keep the Pirates honest and exploit the youngets part of this Pirate team. Simply put, if Welch has a big game on either side of the ball, the chances are pretty good that the Eagles win this one going away.

- QB JK Ratliff: Ratliff has quietly put together an excellent season. Matney obviously noticed the lack of an efficient passing attack last seaosn, and how that hurt them in the playoffs. Thus, he has worked fervently with returnign starting QB JK Ratliff to form a solid passing attack. Ratliff has the accuracy and arm strength to make Belfry play if they get caught looking too much into the backfield.

HB Nathan Dillon: Probably the most pleasant surprise of the season for the Eagles so far. During a stretch where Grimm was far from 100% Dillon carried the load, even in their defeat to Woodford he still managed to gain over 100 yards. Dillon doesn't have the extra gear of Grimm, but he makes it up for it with his ability to hit the hole and the strength in which he runs.

BELFRY

-HB/DT Phillip Hickman: The motor of the Belfry Front 7, Hickman has been a one man run stopping machine the past two seasons. Hickman has to use his quickness to disrupt the Eagles in the backfield, and offensively he offers up a viable third option to Lee and May.When Phillip Hickman plays with a fire in his belly, he usually dominates the game for four quarters (or however long until the starters get pulled).

-QB/CB Andrew Elkins: The best strategic move I think I have seen Coach Haywood make over the past few years was when he opted to go with the then Sophomore Elkins at QB early last season. Not only did this enable Haywood to utilize a very athletic Ryan preston at SE to maximize his talent on the field, but Elkins then developed into an excellent option QB. A year later and Elkins continues to improve weekly, in recent weeks he has became an excellent running option as well. Elkins also is Belfry's top cover corner on defense.

-FB/LB Charlie Dotson: The Junior heatseeking missile has been a staple since earning the starting spot at LB last season. This season Dotson has became growingly confident in his reads and his ability to close on the football. Dotson will eb asked to play huge against the vaunted Eagle offense. on offense, Dotson has not only provided depth at HB, but he ahs enabled Belfry to give multiple looks with May in the backfield, thus making it increasingly tougher to gameplan against the Pirates. An intense runner with excellent blocking ability, the Pirates won't be hurting too bad at FB next season.

Actually, I believe that technically JC has never beaten the Pirates. The game that JC claims to have won was a game that came down to a last second field goal in which one offical signal was good while the other officals signal was bad. In the end, they ruled the game winning FG bad thus giving Belfry the victory. Someone can correct me on that if Im wrong. But techincally, JC has never beaten Belfry, they just put that 1 win against Belfry in the program because they believe they won.

I'm pretty sure Proud Eagle is right, and they are counting a forfeit awarded in the early 90s where Belfry was penalized for using an inelligible player.