Belfry / Johnson Central predictions..

SuperB

Who wins  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

Now back to the game at hand:

My teaser for Monday has to do with some of the underlying story lines that makes this game so interesting.

1. Teacher vs. Pupil- If there was a Bible of Eastern Kentucky High School football the Old Testament would say very early, "...and Haywood begat Matney, Matney begat Hager... Hager begat McCoy" One of the elite coaching trees in mountain football will showcase some of the strongest branches. Both coaches have varied styles, but tremendous respect for one another. It is also safe to say that noone knows Phillip Haywood better than Jim Matney, and vice versa.

2. R-E-S-P-E-C-T!- I tell ya what it means! For Belfry, they make a statement to the rest of 3A that they are for real. The Pirates have also been arguably the King of the Mountains for the past 5 years, and JC is the upstart program looking tot ake over the thrown. JC's loss to Woodford County gave the program a black eye in the viewpoint of pollsters and media around the state, a win over the unanimous #1 3A team on the road would help the Eagles regain that momentum. Every house from the Tug River to I-75 that has any vested interest in High school Football will b curious about how this one plays out.

3. How Much Is It Really Worth? - Will both teams go all out in a game that is meaningless in terms of the overall state title hopes of both teams? Both teams enter with several key players banged up, if the Pirate's lose May, Lee, Elkins, or Dotson to an ijnury, their Pizza Box hopes take a serious hit. Conversely, life will be very difficult for a JC team without Grimm, Ratliff, Dials, Dillon, or Richardson. How much of the playbook do both caches want to display when so many watchful eyes will eb beholding both teams?

4. Coaching Lessons- The most important aspect fo this game si what both teams will be able to learn. Neither team has faced as dominant of a running game as the other brings to the table. Additionally, neither team ahs seena run defense as good as the one they will be battling.

Nice post but I know Coach Matney never played for Haywood and I don't think he coached with him either. I may be wrong on the coaching part though.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now back to the game at hand:

My teaser for Monday has to do with some of the underlying story lines that makes this game so interesting.

1. Teacher vs. Pupil- If there was a Bible of Eastern Kentucky High School football the Old Testament would say very early, "...and Haywood begat Matney, Matney begat Hager... Hager begat McCoy" One of the elite coaching trees in mountain football will showcase some of the strongest branches. Both coaches have varied styles, but tremendous respect for one another. It is also safe to say that noone knows Phillip Haywood better than Jim Matney, and vice versa.

2. R-E-S-P-E-C-T!- I tell ya what it means! For Belfry, they make a statement to the rest of 3A that they are for real. The Pirates have also been arguably the King of the Mountains for the past 5 years, and JC is the upstart program looking tot ake over the thrown. JC's loss to Woodford County gave the program a black eye in the viewpoint of pollsters and media around the state, a win over the unanimous #1 3A team on the road would help the Eagles regain that momentum. Every house from the Tug River to I-75 that has any vested interest in High school Football will b curious about how this one plays out.

3. How Much Is It Really Worth? - Will both teams go all out in a game that is meaningless in terms of the overall state title hopes of both teams? Both teams enter with several key players banged up, if the Pirate's lose May, Lee, Elkins, or Dotson to an ijnury, their Pizza Box hopes take a serious hit. Conversely, life will be very difficult for a JC team without Grimm, Ratliff, Dials, Dillon, or Richardson. How much of the playbook do both caches want to display when so many watchful eyes will eb beholding both teams?

4. Coaching Lessons- The most important aspect fo this game si what both teams will be able to learn. Neither team has faced as dominant of a running game as the other brings to the table. Additionally, neither team ahs seena run defense as good as the one they will be battling.

Nice post. However...Dick Roddy begat Jim Matney....Not Haywood. Matney played under Roddy and Roddy gave him his first asst coaching job...in 1982

Nice post but I know Coach Matney never played for Haywood and I don't think he coached with him either. I may be wrong on the coaching part though.

You know you may be right... definately didn't play there. I thought he caoched under Haywood but on second thought, don't think he did.

Belfry -28

Johnson Central - 21

I have seen Belfry ONCE (but listened to nearly ever game over WXCC's streaming radio) and have not seen Johnson Central play.

Obviously my prediction stands on firm ground!

*The above prediction was made with the HEART, not the head, and should under no circumstances be relied upon in any manner

You know you may be right... definately didn't play there. I thought he caoched under Haywood but on second thought, don't think he did.

Matney played at Belfry in 1976,1977,1978....that was under Dick Roddy. Roddy was a pure Power I guy on offense and lived and died with the "44" defense.

Matney was a good RB. Very quick.

fb15g8 please be on here after the game friday. i want to here what you have to say after they beat Belfry, rememeber JC beat up on the favorite to

win the 3A title Louisville Central. BELFRY only good win was Corbin the rest of the games have just been practice and we all know it. If JC is healthy they will win.

JC - 28

BHS - 18

p.s. my job in rd 4 will be to key on MAY like last year and I did a pretty good job of that wouldn't you say.

I like Belfry just has not played nobody besides Corbin it was a great win though.

Looking forward to playing you all in round 4 at your house again which is not a problem. Stay heathy and good luck Friday

:fire::fire::fire::fire:

And who has Russell played thus far that you would deem "somebody"? Belfry has made some pretty good teams look average thus far this season. BTW, Im not sure I would be tooting my own horn in regards to "keying" on May, you might get a little more than you bargain for this year.

So you think the Johnson Central players don't have the heart to win this game?

I am a fan. JC players have plenty of heart. I think Belfry's experience will win this one.

Belfry plays with a ton of heart, I suspect they always will.

Has any other JC fans heard the ruling from the ineligible player. I heard they ruled we had to give up all oue wins except Ashland. Any one else heard this yet just heard a few minutes ago.

Where did you hear this?

Matney played at Belfry in 1976,1977,1978....that was under Dick Roddy. Roddy was a pure Power I guy on offense and lived and died with the "44" defense.

Matney was a good RB. Very quick.

Coach Jim Matney played running back and defensive back under Coach Dick Roddy at Belfry during 1974,1975, and 1976 football seasons. During his senior year we lost to the eventual State Champions Erlanger Lloyd in the state semi-finals at Vipperman stadium.

If Belfry beats JC they should win the 3A championship and I will say I'm sorry for saying what I feel will happen come Friday. If we made it that far my job is to take care of MAY thats my only job and I promise I will do that if we made it that far and if we dont I wish Belfry all the luck in the world.

:fire::fire::fire::fire: