Playoff thoughts

jimmyref

1) Most of the playoff spots are complete since 192 teams get in, there is little decided so far except home field advantage. 0-9 Butler can still win the 6A title.

2) When the KHSAA decided to expand, why 6 divisions instead of 5? Is it all about more champions crowned or more money?

3) Not sure if teams like Central, PRP, or Cov Catholic would of scheduled the same way if Ky had the same type of system as Ohio where you have to beat teams to get points to reach the playoffs. Contrast the potential 5-5 Central taking on St X and Highlands to end their season to get ready for the playoffs versus Winton Woods High School (potentially 7-3) wondering why they scheduled Cincy St X the first week because they may be just outside making the playoffs because they receive no points in a loss. Had they scheduled a 3-7 team and beaten them, they may of made the playoffs.

4) I know that Highlands and Bowling Green are penciled in to meet in the finals but can anyone tell me about the 9-0 John Hardin team ranked third that I haven't seen mentioned at all?

5) With John Hurley at QB hurt at Cincy St X and Trinity improving every week, could the Rocks defeat the Bombers if they played this week? Bombers win in double OT last week vs St Ignatius 17-14 with soph Luke Massa at QB.

6)How many teams are playing the same QB that started the season?

With Alex Mathews injured, who is the front runner for Mr Football in Kentucky?

Your thoughts?

1) Butler isn't the only team who will make the playoffs without a win on their record. That's sad.

2) Maybe more money for the KHSAA, but I see gate sells being very down this year with the weak first round matchups, and in alot of cases, second round matchups as well.

3)Computer systems have definitive drawbacks, such as the one you mentioned. The best thing about having set district playoffs is the ability it gives coaches to schedule those difficult games to make their team better.

4) John Hardin has been impressive, but their competition has been nowhere close to that of a Highlands or BG, so that 9-0 record has to be taken with a grain of salt.

5) Not only Trinity, I wonder how Lou. St. X would fare against them as the current #1 team in KY.

6)I don't think Matthews was ever the front runner. This year there is no true standout player. EJ Fields may very well be your front runner, especially after singing with UK earleir this month.He has a nice stage this week with the Danville game ro really make his case, a poor showing and it becomes any man's trophy to take.

Just a few thoughts:

*Not a bad thing that almost all teams make the playoffs. I know that Butler may not stand a chance against X, but their young team gets an extra week to practice. That may not sound like much, but I'm sure Coach Lucas(and other coaches for that matter) will use this time wisely.

*Mr. Football is wide open! One must be careful not to get carried away with stats. Level of competition is also very important IMO

I find it interesting that some lament the fact that so many teams are in the playoffs even with the bad records. You do realize that in Baseball, basketball, soccer, volleyball, etc. EVERYBODY is in the "playoffs" right? And yes, I do realize that football is a once a week game situation. Kids playing the game for another week, participation, practice time, responsibility, are all great things and what we SHOULD really be about anyway. So bring on 0-9 Butler and anybody else who qualifies.

Not sure about that 6 class thing. I'll reserve judgement on that one for acouple of years to see how this all shakes out.

Computer systems are only as good as the garbage you put into them. I'd rather see more games than more data.

Cincy St. X is still Cincy St. X. The Massa kid, while young and inexperienced, is very, very talented and replaces Hurley fairly nicely.

Mr. Football? couldn't even venture a guess.

1) Butler isn't the only team who will make the playoffs without a win on their record. That's sad.

2) Maybe more money for the KHSAA, but I see gate sells being very down this year with the weak first round matchups, and in alot of cases, second round matchups as well.

3)Computer systems have definitive drawbacks, such as the one you mentioned. The best thing about having set district playoffs is the ability it gives coaches to schedule those difficult games to make their team better.

4) John Hardin has been impressive, but their competition has been nowhere close to that of a Highlands or BG, so that 9-0 record has to be taken with a grain of salt.

5) Not only Trinity, I wonder how Lou. St. X would fare against them as the current #1 team in KY.

6)I don't think Matthews was ever the front runner. This year there is no true standout player. EJ Fields may very well be your front runner, especially after singing with UK earleir this month.He has a nice stage this week with the Danville game ro really make his case, a poor showing and it becomes any man's trophy to take.

In reference to your #4:

Who has Bowling Green played one team with respect and lost to St. X other than that no body.

1) Most of the playoff spots are complete since 192 teams get in, there is little decided so far except home field advantage. 0-9 Butler can still win the 6A title.

2) When the KHSAA decided to expand, why 6 divisions instead of 5? Is it all about more champions crowned or more money?

3) Not sure if teams like Central, PRP, or Cov Catholic would of scheduled the same way if Ky had the same type of system as Ohio where you have to beat teams to get points to reach the playoffs. Contrast the potential 5-5 Central taking on St X and Highlands to end their season to get ready for the playoffs versus Winton Woods High School (potentially 7-3) wondering why they scheduled Cincy St X the first week because they may be just outside making the playoffs because they receive no points in a loss. Had they scheduled a 3-7 team and beaten them, they may of made the playoffs.

4) I know that Highlands and Bowling Green are penciled in to meet in the finals but can anyone tell me about the 9-0 John Hardin team ranked third that I haven't seen mentioned at all?

5) With John Hurley at QB hurt at Cincy St X and Trinity improving every week, could the Rocks defeat the Bombers if they played this week? Bombers win in double OT last week vs St Ignatius 17-14 with soph Luke Massa at QB.

6)How many teams are playing the same QB that started the season?

With Alex Mathews injured, who is the front runner for Mr Football in Kentucky?

Your thoughts?

Ref #4

John Hardin stands at 8-0 and not really have been tested. The Offense runs the wing-T to perfection, and has the speed to hurt you on any given play. Not many teams will match up with John when it comes to over all team speed. The Offensive and Defensive lines are under sized, but again speed is the equalizer in most cases. If John has one weakness it would be in the kicking game, but it is getting stronger week by week. Coaching will not take a second seat to any team, from top to bottom a class act, Head Coach Mark Brown has 200 wins and the entire staff has been together for 7 years, Johns first year of football.

Well although John Hardin is 9-0 and Bowling Green is 8-1 and both very solid programs if I looked at the playoffs right you 2 would matchup in round 3 and then have to come to Rash stadium to face the Red Devils. Pencil in who you want but after round 2 I hope your pencil has an eraser because John Hardin, Bowling Green, Owensboro and it could be any of those 3 in the end to play Highlands. Highlands I think can be inked in because they have beaten anybody and everybody and their games have not been close. They beat Hopkinsville 42-8 and Owensboro just pitched the shutout against Hoptown last week 34-0. I know this means nothing but that is why they play the game. I am ready for the playoffs and bring them all on I am truly ready for some good gut wrenching games.

I htink it is great that more teams get in, just for example some teams will not make it and have a winning record, so some districts still have to make it work in th eregular season or they will be at home week one of the playoffs. I know for a fact that Grant Co. in 5A is not going to make it and they sit at 6-3 and just beat the team that is 2nd in the district 41-16 on Friday. But they did not win enough games to make it in so it is bad for them but I think it is still nice for the rest of the state to get another chance to play at least one more week of football.

2- There is nothing wrong with more champions, no one will care anyway in 20 years, except those involved and it will be agreat memory for them

3-Scheduling is scheduling and computer are not always right i.e. BCS

4-- John Hardin could be a team that everyone better watch out for. They do a good job and could give teams fits

5-I will go with the Rocks

6-A lot of teams are still using their starter from week 1, I don't know who will be Mr. football but Matthews could probably care less about that as much as helping his team win in the playoffs

I can't imagine that the KHSAA is making any money on this event. Have you been to one over the last couple of years? Not a lot of people in the stands. With the rental of the facility and paying the officials and all of the extras I just don't see it being a cash cow for them. I know they have sponsers and what not, I just don't see it. Maybe they are doing it to increase intrest in the state. I know several new teams have popped up since the change. Sweet sixteen is a different story.

Is the Danville game home or away? With all the rain, it could be a sloppy track.