If you fail a grade for academic reasons should you be allowed to play sports?

Qryche11

Hey, at my school when I was in 7th grade, because of the low priority the general populace in my home county placed on academics, we had to play dodgeball against 16- and 17-year-olds. Maybe these middle school kids you speak of just need to get tougher! :D

In all seriousness, I agree with pretty much everyone else. If they're failing in class, they shouldn't be out between the lines representing the school.

Yea, we had a couple kids driving to Middle school back in the 80's.

Apparently I dont have the facts straight on this as far as anything being passed officially. More info is trickling in thanks to Mallachi Crunch.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In speaking with a NKY middle school basketball coach last night I was informed that a By-Law was recently voted on to allow kids who fail academically the ability to participate in athletics the following year. He was amazed that it was brought up for vote let alone that it passed with a 12-5 vote in favor of changing the By-Law.

It is my understanding that this change to the By-Laws was NOT made by the coaches. It was instead sent to the local SBDM councils who have the power to change the by-laws. I'm not exactly sure what the vote was for, but I would guess that it was either a vote to send it to the SBDMs or a recommendation that the SBDMs approve the change.

It is my understanding that this change to the By-Laws was NOT made by the coaches. It was instead sent to the local SBDM councils who have the power to change the by-laws. I'm not exactly sure what the vote was for, but I would guess that it was either a vote to send it to the SBDMs or a recommendation that the SBDMs approve the change.

This makes more sense but at some point kids have to have consequences and if they are not going to take academics seriously and fail then they should have to do without.

In today's world, you really have to screw up to fail a grade. Typically if a kid fails 2 classes and is told they will be held back, they have the option of going to Summer School to get passed on. Summer School typically is a joke as its more of a babysitting service where they hand out worksheets and make them "do their time" so they can get passed on. Atleast that is my perception. Maybe some schools are more intense and actually teach the kids in the summer.

I am guessing if a kid fails and doesnt go to summer school they basically failed numerous classes. This IMO warrants consequences because if there arent any than it sends the wrong message to others.

If they do this , will they not be to old to play HS ball in senior year.!

Depends on how old they were when they started school.

My son could "fail" or be "held back" twice (before high school) and still meet the age requirements. He has an August birthday.

In speaking with a NKY middle school basketball coach last night I was informed that a By-Law was recently voted on to allow kids who fail academically the ability to participate in athletics the following year. He was amazed that it was brought up for vote let alone that it passed with a 12-5 vote in favor of changing the By-Law.

This is an absolute joke IMO. Last I checked athletics was a privelage and not a right. It basically tells kids that athletics are more important than getting good grades. The sad thing was that the A.D of a NKY school who actually was heading up the meeting was putting emphasis on making sure they voted right then and there. Let me guess, his school probably has a couple of kids who failed and who want to play basketball again as 7th or 8th graders. :lol:

I understand that some kids might have health issues and repeat a grade but this is essentially telling the ones that get bad grades, its ok, just come back next year and you will get the same privelages.

So basically not only are we telling the kids that there are no consequences for their failure but we are also telling our 12 and 13 yr old sons and daughters that they may be playing against 14 and 15 yr old 7th graders in teh coming future.

In my day ACADEMICS CAME FIRST! Sports, though important, was the carrot they held in order to motivate kids. Gryche, you are absolutely correct!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sometimes I think we are so homogized into making sure that each child "feels good about themselves", that we actually forgot what it takes to make you feel good about yourself!