If you fail a grade for academic reasons should you be allowed to play sports?

Qryche11

I dont think I understand. Did they vote to turn the power over to SBDM's to make the call of whether they should play or not? Surely there is something that we are missing in this situation. I dont think there are any educators, coaches or not, that would agree with a child playing sports and not achieving in the classroom as well. There has to be more to this story that I dont understand!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below are the proposed changes as I understand them:

1.Students who have not been promoted from the previous year, must have approval from the SBDM council from the school they are enrolled in order to participate. A letter from the SBDM council must be submitted to NKMSBL prior to November 15th

2. Students must be providing academic success during the course of the NKMSBL season. The SBDM council must decided in academic eligibility requirements.

3. A student is considered ineligible to participate in the NKMSBL if the student turns 16 years of age during the academic year.

You wonder why this country is going to the dumpster?

If my kids brought home a "D" on a test paper, they didn't see the outside, except to go to school and do their chores, until the problem was corrected. God help them, if they had a "D", much less an "F", on a report card. I set the priorities for my children. I didn't need the school to do it for me.

I was raised the same way. In the 8th grade, I missed a basketball game because earlier that day, my folks found out about a geography test I blew.

Where are the parents? Have we lost all sense of responsibility? This is the kind of stuff that drives me batty. :irked:

At Northern ( Pulaski ) Middle School, progress reports are given to the coaches every Monday, and if a student is failing even one class he is out until that grade is brought up to par.

I was the MS coach in Volleyball and although this sounds good in theory there were many problems with this policy at my school. Many times kids were deemed academically ineligible because of the following:

1. The teacher did not enter that weeks grades and left all of them as 0's.

2. A child had been out sick and missed a test and had not been given the opportunity to take it yet.

One week every single 6th grader I had was ineligble due to a Teacher not recording grades correctly. The problem was that once they were on the list you had to wait until the following Friday to get them off. In a 6 week league I had kids miss up to 3 games for non-reasons. It was very frustrating and I felt that the 3 week progress reports should be used because it required the Teachers to have the grades in and all make-up work to be completed.

Try explaining this policy to a parent of a child that is ruled not eligible for one of these reasons.

However grades should come first before all extra-curricular activities. If the parents are not going to step in then it is the Coach's responsibility. I had many a Practice and Study session for certain players on my team.

You wonder why this country is going to the dumpster?

If my kids brought home a "D" on a test paper, they didn't see the outside, except to go to school and do their chores, until the problem was corrected. God help them, if they had a "D", much less an "F", on a report card. I set the priorities for my children. I didn't need the school to do it for me.

I was raised the same way. In the 8th grade, I missed a basketball game because earlier that day, my folks found out about a geography test I blew.

Where are the parents? Have we lost all sense of responsibility? This is the kind of stuff that drives me batty. :irked:

I agree. The parents have to make the children accountable. I once held my son out of an 8th grade basketball game because he had failed the test. The coach and Principal both told me that the techer was too hard and that it would be okay to play him. I told them that my deal was NO F's and that he would have to sit.

I was the MS coach in Volleyball and although this sounds good in theory there were many problems with this policy at my school. Many times kids were deemed academically ineligible because of the following:

1. The teacher did not enter that weeks grades and left all of them as 0's.

2. A child had been out sick and missed a test and had not been given the opportunity to take it yet.

One week every single 6th grader I had was ineligble due to a Teacher not recording grades correctly. The problem was that once they were on the list you had to wait until the following Friday to get them off. In a 6 week league I had kids miss up to 3 games for non-reasons. It was very frustrating and I felt that the 3 week progress reports should be used because it required the Teachers to have the grades in and all make-up work to be completed.

Try explaining this policy to a parent of a child that is ruled not eligible for one of these reasons.

However grades should come first before all extra-curricular activities. If the parents are not going to step in then it is the Coach's responsibility. I had many a Practice and Study session for certain players on my team.

Sounds more like a teacher problem that needs to be a addressed by the principal than a policy problem.

I really didn't care what the rules were about grades when my kids were in school. If they didn't meet Mrs. nWo and my standards they didn't play. As a matter of fact I pulled my oldest son off the bus just before the baseball team was leaving for a game because he had a bad grade. The coach told me he was still eligible to play and I told him not by my standards and he had two weeks to get the grade up.

The coach said that was tough to do. I told him that life was tough.

I really didn't care what the rules were about grades when my kids were in school. If they didn't meet Mrs. nWo and my standards they didn't play. As a matter of fact I pulled my oldest son off the bus just before the baseball team was leaving for a game because he had a bad grade. The coach told me he was still eligible to play and I told him not by my standards and he had two weeks to get the grade up.

The coach said that was tough to do. I told him that life was tough.

I admire that and applaud it. If anyone believes, that Athletics is 1st and Academics 2nd.....than they need to look in that mirror, instead of turning their head, when they walk by.

I'm passionate about sports but academics, are the priority. Grades can be checked/verified weekly and student-athletes, must be held accountable, in that order....They are not referred to as athletes-students.