2007/2008 Williamsburg

Having a solid coach in place for a full year, several returning players, experience and some nice talent, I expect the Jackets to win 10 games or more this season. I agree with an earlier post, if the guard play becomes more assist oriented and feeds the ball to the posts, the Jackets will be hard to stop. I can not see more than 7 to 8 kids gets playing time though. Petit, Teague, Rains and Conlin should anchor the inside with Taylor, Brock, Williams and Cunningham manning the perimeter. Anyone other than those kids would be a major surprise for the Jacket fans this season. Overall, if their defense and rebounding improve along with ball security look for the Jackets to pull off a few upsets and set the stage for a very good 2008- 2009 season where they may challenge for the All A region and a spot in the 13th regional tournament.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly who are the sophomores that should be juniors. I know for a fact that Taylor, Pettit, Terry and Fleenor are true sophomores. All four of these guys are still 15. I'm glad your a Williamsburg fan, but please get the facts right.:confused:

No offense intended. I though Taylor and Terry were a bit older.

It's actually a pretty simple question, not trying to make a point, just wondering what the W'burg folks on here thought since several others that I know suspect this is a part of the reason. Probably a very smart move if you ask me.

The word at Corbin is that his dad wants him to go to Corbin where his dad, uncles & grandfather all played. If he plays varsity at W'burg this year it would be a lot less likely to occur as he would have to sit out a year after playing varsity. I really expect him to stay at W'burg and would likely not see the floor on Corbin's varsity anyway until his sophomore or junior year.

He can play all the varsity he wants and then still be not have to sit out a year. Eligibility in KHSAA doesnt start until 9th grade. I think he will graduate from Wburg as he and his family really like it. I also think he is plenty good enough to compete on varsity level this year except maybe against a few teams, but then again there are 10th and 11th graders on some teams who aren"t good enough to compete against some teams.

Just wondering if the reason Corbin played Crawford as an 8th grader was so he would not transfer to South Laurel?

He can play all the varsity he wants and then still be not have to sit out a year. Eligibility in KHSAA doesnt start until 9th grade. I think he will graduate from Wburg as he and his family really like it. I also think he is plenty good enough to compete on varsity level this year except maybe against a few teams, but then again there are 10th and 11th graders on some teams who aren"t good enough to compete against some teams.

Just wondering if the reason Corbin played Crawford as an 8th grader was so he would not transfer to South Laurel?

If Barton is as good as Crawford was in the 8th grade then the Jackets will be much better than anyone suspects. I think they Hounds played him because without him they do not advance to the Elite Eight in the KHSAA Sweet 16.

I agree with Bubba in that you cannot compare these two kids. Barton has a lot of potential but it remains to be seen if he can help on the Varisty level this year. Williamsburg has some players with some decent Varsity experience returning to their team. Word around Williamsburg is they have worked their butts off this off season and have gained some strength. The Teague kid is said to have grown a little over the off season and is 6'7. Anyone know if this is true?

The Teague kid looks taller everytime I see him. He is at least 6'6". He didn't turn 16 until late summer so he may continue to grow. Williamsburg will be much better under the leadership of Patrick Robinson. I expect Cunningham to have a break out year. Pettit and Taylor will be much better now that they are a little older and have a full year under their belt.

The Teague kid looks taller everytime I see him. He is at least 6'6". He didn't turn 16 until late summer so he may continue to grow. Williamsburg will be much better under the leadership of Patrick Robinson. I expect Cunningham to have a break out year. Pettit and Taylor will be much better now that they are a little older and have a full year under their belt.

I heard that Teague from Williamsburg and Crawford from Corbin have both

grew quite a bit since last season. Last I heard Crawford was 6'5", maybe 6'6 and the Teague kid was hitting 6"7" at about 195lbs. This should make for an interesting match up on the court. Crawford hasn't been released yet. He goes back to the doctor next month.

There was a new rule discussed about making athletes sit out a year if they transfer after playing varsity in the eighth, but I'm not sure if it passed or when it goes into effect.

If the proposal passes, any 7th or 8th grader who participates on the varsity level will have to sit out a year upon transferring. The rule would take effect in the school year 2008-09.

www.khsaa.org/annualmeeting/20072008/annualmeetingproposals20072008.pdf