Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007/2008 Williamsburg

Featured Replies

  • Replies 50
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does everyone see Williamsburg finishing in the tough 50th district??

How does everyone see Williamsburg finishing in the tough 50th district??

This district is awful tough and I think the Jacket's will be improved and more competitive, they will be battling Whitley for the 3RD spot IMO....

This district is awful tough and I think the Jacket's will be improved and more competitive, they will be battling Whitley for the 3RD spot IMO....

 

I agree with you, 9 out of 10 years it will stay very tough if this district keeps the same four teams. I'm ready for basketball to start should be a interesting year in the 13th.

This district is awful tough and I think the Jacket's will be improved and more competitive, they will be battling Whitley for the 3RD spot IMO....

 

Williamsburg seemed to have gotten the short end of the stick when they did the new alignment when compared to the 51st district. The 50th has two 5A schools along with a traditionally strong Corbin team whereas the 51st has 3(Lynn Camp, Pineville & Barbourville) 1A sized schools along with an up and down 4A Knox Central.

 

They should begin to be competitive again this year though and will hold their own most years.

They have certainly put in some time and hard work, and Coach Robinson is dedicated to getting it turned around. It seems that everyone is united in that common goal and they are really getting after it. Football will have helped Taylor and Pettit when all is said and done, with their physical play. I do expect an improved team...but they are in one of the toughest districts in KY.

I cant help but think that football will hurt Pettit and Taylor to a certian degree because of the conditioning that basketball demands is completely different than football. From what I have seen the starters will be Taylor, Cunningham, Teague, Pettit, and I dont know who the 5th spot will be.

I cant help but think that football will hurt pettit and taylor to a certian degree because of the conditioning that basketball demands is completly different than football's. From what i've saw the starters will be Taylor, Cunningham, Teague, Pettit, and i dont know who the 5th spot will be.

 

From what I have been told about Coach Herrons conditioning it is suppose to be pretty tough, I think they'll transfer over well, with Petit being much more physical down low.

I agree with scatterbrain. Them playing football will not help them in basketball when all is said and done. The being physical or toughness was never to my knowledge a question with either of those boys. They are both good size, strong kids. Plus, the basketball team has been lifting weights. They expose themselves to the risk of injury (Think Lebanion from Whitley last year), their skills will be rusty, and they will not have the time to be in sinc with their teammates. To become better basketball players and build a better team, kids have to be in the gym practicing and playing together. The team was short during the summer games a few times due to football players being out and as things stand, the boys team will play their first game in about a week or so and they may not even have these kids back by then. Williamsburg is a much better team with both of these kids in the line up, but basketball is a different type of conditioning than football and it will take them some time to get their game back. I think we will see a lot of mistakes, busted plays, poor timing, etc for the first few weeks from all the players until all of the football players have had some time practicing with their teammates. Fans should be patient with the team. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of the football team for doing so well and I hope they continue to win and if these boys love playing football, then they have every right to play and should play. I'm not bad mouthing football or either of these boys. I know that this is part of being a small school and the different sports have to share the athletes. It's just my opinion that these boys playing football does not help basketball and hurts in many ways.

I agree. To be a basketball player you have to have skill. That my friends is only found in the gym. One of the hardest games to be good at is Basketball. Athletes can play both well, but the truly great ones concentrate on Basketball. Two almost totally different kinds of conditioning are used in football and basketball. Regardless of the program used, basketball players want long muscles for endurance and football players need short muscles for quick bursts....then some rest and more quick bursts. In the case of Petit and Taylor...neither needed to be more physical, instead they needed more experience and self control. The Jackets will be fine this season and may find themselves as the number three seed. Next year the prize gets bigger and the district will be at Williamsburg. I can still remember 1998 and how the Jacket faithful came out in droves to inspire their team to a championship....we might see a replay next year....seems like every 10 years or so the Jackets win a district and Coach Robinson was a big part of the last one. He knows it can be done and he knows what it takes to cut the nets down.

I sure hope you are right about the district. It will hurt them as far as being rusty, but the fact remains they are leaps and bounds stronger this year. They have built some great confidence in themselves as result of winning in orange and achieving goals they have set.

As Coach Robinson says it best, "This team needs to come together and play as one!" There are more football players than Taylor and Pettit coming that should help the team out. I look for big things to come from Brock, Lowrie and Smith this year. Also Thomas Rains is standing about 6'6 now and should contribute down low. When you throw these kids in the mix I expect big things to happen for the Jackets. I do think football will help with the toughness, I watched last year as our kids got knocked and pushed around. It also helps to come into a sport with a taste of winning in your mouth. Good Luck Jackets!!

I agree with scatterbrain. Them playing football will not help them in basketball when all is said and done. The being physical or toughness was never to my knowledge a question with either of those boys. They are both good size, strong kids. Plus, the basketball team has been lifting weights. They expose themselves to the risk of injury (Think Lebanion from Whitley last year), their skills will be rusty, and they will not have the time to be in sinc with their teammates. To become better basketball players and build a better team, kids have to be in the gym practicing and playing together. The team was short during the summer games a few times due to football players being out and as things stand, the boys team will play their first game in about a week or so and they may not even have these kids back by then. Williamsburg is a much better team with both of these kids in the line up, but basketball is a different type of conditioning than football and it will take them some time to get their game back. I think we will see a lot of mistakes, busted plays, poor timing, etc for the first few weeks from all the players until all of the football players have had some time practicing with their teammates. Fans should be patient with the team. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of the football team for doing so well and I hope they continue to win and if these boys love playing football, then they have every right to play and should play. I'm not bad mouthing football or either of these boys. I know that this is part of being a small school and the different sports have to share the athletes. It's just my opinion that these boys playing football does not help basketball and hurts in many ways.

 

I agree football can cause injury, however if I'm correct our injuries in basketball last year came from basketball....Teague-ankle and Conlin-ankle.

I agree. To be a basketball player you have to have skill. That my friends is only found in the gym. One of the hardest games to be good at is Basketball. Athletes can play both well, but the truly great ones concentrate on Basketball. Two almost totally different kinds of conditioning are used in football and basketball. Regardless of the program used, basketball players want long muscles for endurance and football players need short muscles for quick bursts....then some rest and more quick bursts. In the case of Petit and Taylor...neither needed to be more physical, instead they needed more experience and self control. The Jackets will be fine this season and may find themselves as the number three seed. Next year the prize gets bigger and the district will be at Williamsburg. I can still remember 1998 and how the Jacket faithful came out in droves to inspire their team to a championship....we might see a replay next year....seems like every 10 years or so the Jackets win a district and Coach Robinson was a big part of the last one. He knows it can be done and he knows what it takes to cut the nets down.

 

The bad news for Williamsburg in the 2008-2009 season is that Corbin will be very, very good and returns 4 starters, Whitley will probably return all 5 and South Laurel should have 3 back along with several good players waiting in the wings. The 50th district will be loaded in 2008-2009.

When is the 50th not loaded?!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.