Hoover High Investigation

cshs81

This is exactly why the arts need more funds: Music and fine arts have been around for thousands of years, football for a little over a hundred years. What's more important in the whole scheme of things?

SPORTS....of some form and fashion have been around for thousands of years as well. The fact of the matter is, fine arts in high school are all fun, to some extent, but they aren't ever going to be as big or bring notoriety to a school or it's community like athletics, in partular football, do. Never have, never will.

Fine Arts/Band isn't attractive to most people, if it was, Marching Band competitions would have "College Gamedays" and the spring play at the Univ. of Georgia, Auburn, Florida and Tennessee would be televised for a national audience....but, they aren't. Why?! It's just not that dang exciting.....and it doesn't appeal to the general population like football and basketball.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPORTS....of some form and fashion have been around for thousands of years as well. The fact of the matter is, fine arts in high school are all fun, to some extent, but they aren't ever going to be as big or bring notoriety to a school or it's community like athletics, in partular football, do. Never have, never will.

Fine Arts/Band isn't attractive to most people, if it was, Marching Band competitions would have "College Gamedays" and the spring play at the Univ. of Georgia, Auburn, Florida and Tennessee would be televised for a national audience....but, they aren't. Why?! It's just not that dang exciting.....and it doesn't appeal to the general population like football and basketball.

I certainly appreciate your passion and honesty. It's clear that being PC is not one of your favorite past times BG. :sssh:

Howevever, I am going to respectfully disagree with you whole-heartedly in regards to your comment that "fine arts/band isn't attractive to most people" and that it "doesn't appeal to the general population." On the contrary, it is the exact OPPOSITE of what you are saying.

To play sports at a high level (Varsity) at this big-time schools, you have to be a very special athlete. You can't just show up and go through the motions and succeed. In football especially, it's only the starters that get lots of attention and even then, it's usually only the skill players that really shine. Who shows up at a football game to see the Left Tackle? The free safety? The defensive tackle? No one. They want to see the QB, the WR, RB and maybe a LB.

Given how difficult it is to participate in these sports, there is a much larger group of students who are inclined to act, sing, or play a musical instrument because unlike football and most sports, fine arts appeals to a much LARGER GROUP OF KIDS because there is a place for everyone.

Can't act? Be on a crew. Learn the ins and outs of the stage.

Can't sing? Play an instrument.

There is something for everyone in Fine Arts. Not the case in athletics. That backup safety may never see the field for football and will be completely forgotten about. But maybe he drops football, picks up a tuba and goes on to dot the "i" at THE Ohio State. Pretty fair trade I'd say. :thumb:

Just my $0.02

-CardinalsFan

Given how difficult it is to participate in these sports, there is a much larger group of students who are inclined to act, sing, or play a musical instrument because unlike football and most sports, fine arts appeals to a much LARGER GROUP OF KIDS because there is a place for everyone.

Can't act? Be on a crew. Learn the ins and outs of the stage.

Can't sing? Play an instrument.

There is something for everyone in Fine Arts. Not the case in athletics. That backup safety may never see the field for football and will be completely forgotten about. But maybe he drops football, picks up a tuba and goes on to dot the "i" at THE Ohio State. Pretty fair trade I'd say. :thumb:

Just my $0.02

-CardinalsFan

And you are being short sighted if you think the only things to do in sports is "play".

My understanding is that Coach Sphire makes $100K+ at North Gwinnett but he is the assistant weightlifting teacher...or something like that. cshs, not sure who pays what but he has a staff of more than 15 from frosh to varsity. Whoever it is is putting up some major jack for football...

My understanding is that Coach Sphire makes $100K+ at North Gwinnett but he is the assistant weightlifting teacher...or something like that. cshs, not sure who pays what but he has a staff of more than 15 from frosh to varsity. Whoever it is is putting up some major jack for football...

If I'm not mistaken the kids have to pay two activity fees during the course of the year to participate in extracuricular activities (football). I thought I saw on their website this summer that it was between 200-500 dollars.

http://ngfootball.org/pdfs/2007%20Activity%20Fee.pdf

Football at Hoover is close to a 1 million dollar a year operation. He probably is under-paid.

No this is about right. Plus the 93,000 is what is paid by the school. In Alabama the boosters can kick in money toward the stipend paid to the coach. I would say he makes close to 150,000k, and that doesn't count his camp money that he and his staff makes.

No this is about right. Plus the 93,000 is what is paid by the school. In Alabama the boosters can kick in money toward the stipend paid to the coach. I would say he makes close to 150,000k, and that doesn't count his camp money that he and his staff makes.
PRobably doesnt include all the "under the table" money that the boosters and the coach doesnt want the IRS to know about.

PRobably doesnt include all the "under the table" money that the boosters and the coach doesnt want the IRS to know about.

Unless you have facts to back this up, I don't think this is an appropriate post about any coach anywhere. This implies illegal activity. If you can document it, prove it. Otherwise, inappropriate.

I have talked with a big time college coach and he told me that Florida,Texas and California had more D-1 football players than rest of states combined. I was kinda surprised when he said that any given year the state of Florida had between 120-130 D-1 football players.Also with all the D-1 college programs in that state it was getting harder and harder to get the players he use to get,he was really not to excited with all the new programs on block,like South Florida,Central Florida he said these were going to be big time programs,and replace Florida,Florida State and Miami ,it was hard for me to believe this but he said it was true.