St. Xavier 24 Trinity 15

BuddyBW

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes and amuses me when I read some of these posts...Apparently according to some St X and Trinity fans, those two are the only two competing for a state championship each year. I fully understand the strength of the two teams, but there are no guarentees...

Uh, this was a St.X--Trinity game thread, did you really expect the fans to talk about Male, Manual or Fern Creek, etc...???

X played very well BUT Trinity played very badly and I'm sorry X fans but it wasn't because of what X was doing. Like someone said every time it seemed that Trinity was going to mount something they shot themselves in the foot.

I have to say that thats part of being a great team, one who can play perfect all the time, doesn't have problems with penalties, and is alwayse intense. I would have to say that since T faced these problems and X didn't, X is the better team. It's okay T fans you can admit it; I know it hurts. Trust me ya'll will have enough time to fix these errors.

oh ya, congrats to St. X.

Trinity actually had a very good opening drive that took better then half of the first quarter but after they got it in the red zone they had a stupid penalty and settled for a FG. They then missed about 1000 tackles on the second X play and Finch scored. X never trailed after that.

X played very well BUT Trinity played very badly and I'm sorry X fans but it wasn't because of what X was doing. Like someone said every time it seemed that Trinity was going to mount something they shot themselves in the foot.

Time for a gut check on Shelbyville Road.

I think the gut check isn't on the kids. They played hard.

But sometimes you have to make adjustments and take what is given to you. It has been said on this board many times about how other teams' coaches don't make adjustments. I think I can cite a couple of examples where coaching decisions hurt the Rocks tonight.

1) X was not going to give up the long pass and they tried to punish the underneath patterns after the catch.

Adjustment-Run the ball!

Situation- 3rd quarter X leading 14-9. X Starting quarterback out of game. X gives ball back to T at about the Rocks 20. Tim Phillips had just ripped off a long run and scored later in the previous drive. Play 1 Call- Pass incomplete. Play 2 Swing Pass to WR for no gain Play 3 Sack Play 4 Punt returned to the Rocks 10. Another tight game, 3rd quarter,3 and out, Phillips doesn't touch the ball-just like 2 weeks ago vs Cincy St X. Score 24-20 3rd quarter Phillips runs for 4 yards on the first play of the drive. He doesn't touch the ball again until T is down 10.

2) Trinity goes 4 wide with Phillips in backfield. Weakside X LB steps up to line to blitz. Phillips moves up to line to block LB. X LB drops off in coverage and blitz pressure comes from up the middle. No one in backfield and Phillips is doing nothing on wing. Pressure and sacks all night. No adjustment.

3) 2nd X TD pass-seen in the picture in this thread. Isn't that a DE covering a WR 28 yards down the field? Is that the kids or the scheme's fault? I think scheme IMHO.

4) Down by 15, you score to cut it to 9, On the try you get a penalty to push it back to the 8. Why do you go for 2? What were the chances of making it? It ends the game right there-rather than let your kicker kick it, get within 8 and go for two from the 3 if you get the ball back.

Sometimes spread out offense is exciting. It was for Florida State to win alot of games and championships in the ACC in years past. But Wake Forest did it last year with running the ball and defense. I think this St X team is similar to Wake Forest and they don't beat themselves. I look forward to the rematch in December if we both make it. Manual and Henry Clay make have something to say about that.

Last night X was the better team. That game gave Trinity a lot of things to work on, kick coverage and penalties being the two biggest ones. I still like Trinity's chances in December. To me, the two biggest stats from the game are Trinity's penalty yards and X's return yards. Both are fixable and will be fixed. Once that happens, Glaser can carry an umbrella, a poncho and put a cover over the stadium. It still won't help him.