How much weight do BGP members give the AP Polls???

The AP poll does seem to be the worst one of all of them but I have to say that I don't put a lot of stock in any poll. The only poll that matters is the one after the playoff game/games and it is decided on the field ;) .

They are fun and good for discusson and for the kids to look at but that is about it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen Central and Caverna got votes in the 1A poll. They both lost by 45 + points.

Breckinridge County hasn't won a game in two years. Someone voted for them in the 4A poll.

Bullitt Central got a vote in 6A.

Should I take the poll seriously?

HAHA Sometimes it is good to have other people enjoy HS Football as much as me, when I saw those polls at work today, I had made a mental note to get home and start a thread titled, "Do AP Voters Really Even Watch Football?"

Though already mentioned, what stuck out to me was:

1. Somerset receiving a first place vote in 3A despite losing 62-49 to traditional powerhosue Pulaski County.

2. Allen Central and Caverna each receiving multiple votes. I don't know what would be worse.. if someone actually thought either of these teams were top 7 in their class.... or one 3 different pollsters thought they were Top 10! Maybe someone got the "AP" part confused and when voting for the "AP Poll" thought it referred to "Always Pushovers" ?

3. Love for Bullitt Central, Taylor County, Central Hardin, McLean County, Green County, and Shelby Valley in their respective classes. My best bet is that some pollsters just saw names and got them confused like "Bullitt East/North Bullitt = Bullitt Central, John Hardin = Central Hardin, Meade County = McLean County, Shelby County= Shelby Valley, etc)

4. I also enjoyed the random 1 first place vote Manual received over the traditional Louisville Big 3.

Let's just hope that the AP voters don't start getting the Public vs. Private debate in their heads and stop voting for all private schools altogether. It wouldn't surprise me.

Allen Central and Caverna got votes in the 1A poll. They both lost by 45 + points.

Breckinridge County hasn't won a game in two years. Someone voted for them in the 4A poll.

Bullitt Central got a vote in 6A.

Should I take the poll seriously?

I truely believe that they should discontinue the poll based on many of the examples noted. It would be good for the sports writers to give them more time doing the great job they do covering High school sports in their home area. It is apparent that they don't have the time to take it serious based on the examples given in this thread. There is one thing you can count on. Nothing will change.

I don't look at them with any weight. I find them to be put together by self serving local interests or well meaning uninformed participants mostly. No one in the state devotes as much time and resources to high school sports as BGP.

We are represented from each and every corner of the state on here. Fans, players, coaches and so on. Who knows football in our state or has a better insight than BGP? No one.

How much weight do BGP members give the AP Polls???

Just curious, Do BGP members even bother with the AP Polls???

Do they mean anything to anyone???

Of all the polls/ratings I've seen on high school football, the AP is the most useless and inacurrate. I don't really make a point to look at them, but I will stumble upon them two or three times over the course of the season.

I prefer Cantrall's ratings, while not perfect, they are way more accurate and useful. I've looked at them for 15 years and for the most part they're about as good as I could expect from a rating system.

The AP poll serves its intended purpose ... it sends out a set of state rankings to the general public through the media.

I think AP poll voters are probably like everything else in society ... there are good ones and bad ones. The obvious "homer votes" and the blatant lack of homework evident on the part of some voters rob the poll of any of its credibility.

I think the voters in the AP Poll are saddled with a heavy task because most (if not all) of the people voting generally cover one area of the state and it is nearly impossible for them to be well informed on teams from all areas of KY.

On the other hand, I really like both the Cantrall and LIT ratings even though they both use a "magic number" to get started each year.

I think the voters in the AP Poll are saddled with a heavy task because most (if not all) of the people voting generally cover one area of the state and it is nearly impossible for them to be well informed on teams from all areas of KY.

On the other hand, I really like both the Cantrall and LIT ratings even though they both use a "magic number" to get started each year.

I agree and disagree with what you say about the AP Pollsters, Guru. It is in fact very difficult for one to keep up to date especially if say you are the Voter from Paducah, when the opposite side if the state is 6 hours away.

BUT, in this world of the internet, and with sites such as this one, there definately are resources available to make a much better decision than grabbing 3 random local teams and plugging them into the 7-10 spots. The fact that the BGP poll is so widely acknowledged speaks volumes for my point. Furthermore, the BGP voters don't even hsve some of the advantages that your writers and AP voters have pre-existing (networking/contacts, access to interviews, etc)

I agree and disagree with what you say about the AP Pollsters, Guru. It is in fact very difficult for one to keep up to date especially if say you are the Voter from Paducah, when the opposite side if the state is 6 hours away.

BUT, in this world of the internet, and with sites such as this one, there definately are resources available to make a much better decision than grabbing 3 random local teams and plugging them into the 7-10 spots. The fact that the BGP poll is so widely acknowledged speaks volumes for my point. Furthermore, the BGP voters don't even hsve some of the advantages that your writers and AP voters have pre-existing (networking/contacts, access to interviews, etc)

In many cases it just might be the "L" word. Lazy. Several of the examples given in this thread tell me that. I would think it would be better not to vote if you are going to vote with blinders on, or the homer votes. I have said it all along that Mr. Football is a travisty also. I'm not saying that the picks that were made were not very good. They were. I just think that a kid in Eastern kentucky is not on the same level playing field as say a kid in Louisville.

In many cases it just might be the "L" word. Lazy. Several of the examples given in this thread tell me that. I would think it would be better not to vote if you are going to vote with blinders on, or the homer votes. I have said it all along that Mr. Football is a travisty also. I'm not saying that the picks that were made were not very good. They were. I just think that a kid in Eastern kentucky is not on the same level playing field as say a kid in Louisville.

This is why I think there should be a committee to choose All-State and Mr. Football. This committee should be required to send several committee members to see each and every team in the state, at least once during the year. Then if it is warranted, send several more to watch that team again. This would at least give the committee a chance to see everyone and maybe tell them who they need to see further game films for. I don't see how you can pick the best in the state if all the teams in the state have not been observed.