Drawing from multiple counties

Bluegrasscard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as you just pointed out, there are differences, although you said earlier that there weren't.

Of course, you're talking strictly in the legal sense. There are a lot of differences in the typical independent and typical county systems, particularly in terms of demographics.

Can you give me some examples?

Not exactly true, although both are public school districts. The way some people post here, they think independent schools are closer to private than public.

They are in that they can attract students from a much wider base then many of the county systems.

I just found out Bowling Green is an independent school and a child living outside the city limits may pay $175.00 to attend. I do not believe this means the child must be from Warren County. It's about the opportunity of choice.

As far as religion goes, about 20% of Trinity's enrollment is non-Catholic.

While your point is a valid one, I'd be interested in knowing the dollars per student that the public schools have to spend on their diverse student bodies vs the dollars per student at the private schools.

The publics do have to deal with students that the private schools don't have to accept. But I'm under the assumption that the publics have a lot more dollars to handle that additional burden. Is my assumption wrong?

Do some public school districts have a surplus of money and other public school districts have a shortage of money? If so, should something be done, funding formula wise to balance that out? Or is it a matter of those with a surplus execising better fiscal management than those with shortages? Why do some public school districts have to rely on a much greater percentage of local tax dollars to keep their schools running than others? Is that fair, when it is the State's obligation to provide public education?

Interested in your (and other's) thoughts to these questions. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if academic and athletic success is based in part on funding, I think my questions are germane to the topic of this thread.

Different schools have different level of costs. For example, I would guess that Pendleton County spends a lot more on bus costs, gas, maintenance, driver costs, than Highlands. And then for athletics, I would say that they spend a lot more on bus costs than Highlands would. I know for girls basketball, it would cost me $3,000 a year to pay for the bus driver. That did not include the cost of the gas, maintenance, etc, etc.

As far as straight educating the children. Some kids cost a lot more to educate than others. Some kids have to have personal aides for them and specialized equipment that costs big bucks.

Kids that come in very low readers have to have special programs that will help them in reading. I know of a teacher that does this and works with about 12 kids a day for 30 minutes each working on reading trying them caught up to their reading level.

As far as KY and the local dollars, that is supposed to be balanced. And a huge complaint of the superintendent at Beechwood and Highlands. They want to make a bigger commitment locally to provide things but if they do that, their SEEK, state monies, go down. The state funding system was declared unconstitutional in the early 90's, late 80's. So Highlands/Beechwood are not allowed to pour money in locally without seeing their state monies go down and keeping it balanced with other districts around the state.

They are in that they can attract students from a much wider base then many of the county systems.

I just found out Bowling Green is an independent school and a child living outside the city limits may pay $175.00 to attend. I do not believe this means the child must be from Warren County. It's about the opportunity of choice.

Warren County can accept any student that Bowling Green can if they so desire. Same rules apply.

As far as religion goes, about 20% of Trinity's enrollment is non-Catholic.

County systems can attract students from beyond their district boundaries, too. Whether they are attractive enough to actually do so is another matter.

I don't know what Bowling Green's policy is, but it's nothing that a county system couldn't adopt as well.

Bottom line ... independent schools are public schools. They have to take the kids within their district boundaries just like county schools do.

You can talk about consolidation all you want, but one common issue remains, and will continue to remain, that will keep consolidation from occuring in Eastern Kentucky.

Pike County has had three consolidated schools in the last 20 years (Shelby Valley, Pike Central and East Ridge).

Letcher and Floyd have consolidated schools and Harlan has one on the way.

I agree roads still need to be improved, but consolidation went on anyway. There's only a handful of county schools left that haven't been consolidated (Phelps, Cordia).

No doubt that for a couple of years, there was some level of discontent at CovCath with Coach Ray (not opining if was justified) and a couple of players left CovCath. What did CovCath do? They got a new very good head coach and in two years, he won a state championship, which explains why you don't see CovCath players leaving to attend Highlands any more. And I compliment CovCath for that by the way. They responded to the competition and in my opinion improved their football program.

Some would read the above and think Coach Ray was asked to move on. Just to clarify for those that might read it that way (and I know it wasn't intended that way), that was not the case. His last team in 04 was a legit contender for the state championship had it not been for the Birds and the Colonels former teammates.

Re: discontentment - one may have had a legit complaint. One left because he wasn't the primary receiver his SOPH year and , ironically, wasn't at his new destination either. The other had no choice.

I'm curious to know why you don't think the rural schools have that option?

If I recall properly, a lot of the supporters of the public private split got all incensed about girls from Franfort travelling to attend Lex Cath and play basketball there ("we have to have territory limits" they cried.). If Lex Cath's girls basketball program can be so attractive to have parents/students drive from Frankfort to Lexington each and every day, why can't the rural schools have athletic and academic programs that are so attractive to have parents/students drive a county or two to attend? Why can't Pendleton County's girl's basketball become so good, so as to be able to attract student athletes from southern Campbell County, or northern Harrison County?

Student would not be eligible unless the parents moved...right?::confused: