Drawing from multiple counties

Bluegrasscard

A common accusation against the private schools is that they draw from multiple counties and outside 'the community'. I am not sure how to defined the later bu the former is easily defined and can be compared to other states.

Kentucky has 120 counties. Only 3 states have more counties. Texas (254), Georgia (159) and Virginia (134). The need for such a great number of counties should be related to population or to just the physical size of the state.

When compared to the 11 states with the most counties, of which 6 are Kentucky neighbors, Kentucky has the smallest average county size at 337 sq miles. Virgina is a close second at an average of 356 sq miles. However, Tennessee's counties average 444 square miles and Ohio's counties average 509 sq miles each.

In terms of popluation Kentucky (34,107 people per county) ranks second out of the top 11 states in number of counties. Kansas (25,866 people per county) ranks first but the counties in Kanas average 784 square miles, over twice the size the average Kentucky county. Missouri (49,327 ppc) comes in 3rd but they average almost 40% more people per county than Kentucky. Tennessee (61,024 ppc) averages almost twice the number of people per county than Kentucky and Ohio (129,013 ppc) averages over 3 times the number of people per county.

BTW, Virginia (54,429 ppc) with their higher overall population has far more people per county even though they have more counties.

The conclusion is that Kentucky has very small counties in physical size and the counties are not densely populated. So when private schools draw from multiple counties it should not be a surprise and should not be considered a issue. At the same time this same phenomena probably keeps many of the public schools from drawing the numbers needed for higher quality football.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting information. BGcard. Thanks.

I never realized that we had so many counties as compared to the rest of the country.

Too many counties . Too many small town politicians that have their own fiefdoms . The answer is to Consolidate .

Many counties have reciprocal(mutual) agreements allowing students to attend public schools out of county. Independent schools can take kids from all over as Beechwood and Highlands do. An Oldham County resident can pay tuition to a Jefferson County public school as long as the school has room for them. Hardin County Schools have agreements with Elizabethtown High School. Every county has it's own set of rules to follow, therefore how can the KHSAA members try to force a set boundary on the private schools?

There are more choices out there than many realize or care to recognize.

Yes, consolidation should be looked at closely by Jefferson County. The teacher's union is against it. Administrators are against it for fear of losing their positions.

One other point regarding football: in 1975, the public schools approached the KHSAA about playing the Jefferson County schools in football in the playoffs. Prior to this change, all of Jefferson County was represented in class AAA. The gripe against Trinity and St. Xavier's success in football would not exist if the classes were changed to reflect only Jefferson County's largest schools. Male, Manual, Ballard, PRP and Butler don't complain too much. Many of the private grade school kids attend these fine high schools.

The state at-large membership asked to play and now you want to throw us out due to our success? It's not happening in boys basketball or baseball, and these are sports without classes! The privates do well in Cross Country mainly because many of these athletes run for their grade schools. Track and field comes and goes.

Lacrosse is a club sport as well as ice hockey, bowling, & powerlifting. Wrestling is usually dominated by the publics with several Jefferson County schools opting not to have it. Soccer is somewhat dominated by privates, again it is offered at many of the elementary schools locally. Jefferson County Public Schools choose not to support middle school athletic programs except for basketball, volleyball and a handful of teams in baseball.

Many counties have reciprocal(mutual) agreements allowing students to attend public schools out of county. Independent schools can take kids from all over as Beechwood and Highlands do. An Oldham County resident can pay tuition to a Jefferson County public school as long as the school has room for them. Hardin County Schools have agreements with Elizabethtown High School. Every county has it's own set of rules to follow, therefore how can the KHSAA members try to force a set boundary on the private schools?

There are more choices out there than many realize or care to recognize.

Yes, consolidation should be looked at closely by Jefferson County. The teacher's union is against it. Administrators are against it for fear of losing their positions.

One other point regarding football: in 1975, the public schools approached the KHSAA about playing the Jefferson County schools in football in the playoffs. Prior to this change, all of Jefferson County was represented in class AAA. The gripe against Trinity and St. Xavier's success in football would not exist if the classes were changed to reflect only Jefferson County's largest schools. Male, Manual, Ballard, PRP and Butler don't complain too much. Many of the private grade school kids attend these fine high schools.

The state at-large membership asked to play and now you want to throw us out due to our success? It's not happening in boys basketball or baseball, and these are sports without classes! The privates do well in Cross Country mainly because many of these athletes run for their grade schools. Track and field comes and goes.

Lacrosse is a club sport as well as ice hockey, bowling, & powerlifting. Wrestling is usually dominated by the publics with several Jefferson County schools opting not to have it. Soccer is somewhat dominated by privates, again it is offered at many of the elementary schools locally. Jefferson County Public Schools choose not to support middle school athletic programs except for basketball, volleyball and a handful of teams in baseball.

While I agree with your post, I wanted to make a point of clarification in re Highlands. While we'll take OOD students if we have space available (as a tax payer, I'd be mad as heck if we didn't as the additional revenue is just gravy to help offset the fixed costs of teacher salaries, building maintenance, utilities, etc), we don't have reciprocity agreements with all the local school districts. If we have an agreement, great as we get the ADA money. If not, we charge tuition. Didn't want people to think that we just let OOD students attend for free. We do not.

While I agree with your post, I wanted to make a point of clarification in re Highlands. While we'll take OOD students if we have space available (as a tax payer, I'd be mad as heck if we didn't as the additional revenue is just gravy to help offset the fixed costs of teacher salaries, building maintenance, utilities, etc), we don't have reciprocity agreements with all the local school districts. If we have an agreement, great as we get the ADA money. If not, we charge tuition. Didn't want people to think that we just let OOD students attend for free. We do not.

Did the Ft. Thomas Bd. of Ed. temporarily suspend the acceptance of OOD students in the 'trailer park era'?

Did the Ft. Thomas Bd. of Ed. temporarily suspend the acceptance of OOD students in the 'trailer park era'?

Don't know. But if they were going to have to have trailers anyway (and they were) and there was room in the trailers for additional desks, I'm sure they would have taken OOD students.

All public schools have that option, if they choose to exercise it.

Having the option and it being a realistic option is too quite different things.

I have the option to date Jessica Alba. I am going out on a limb here and say NO MATTER what I do, I couldn't attract Jessica Alba to date me.

Having the option and it being a realistic option is too quite different things.

I have the option to date Jessica Alba. I am going out on a limb here and say NO MATTER what I do, I couldn't attract Jessica Alba to date me.

Plus, your wife would probably kill you, rendering the opportunity nil! :D

I'm curious to know why you don't think the rural schools have that option?

If I recall properly, a lot of the supporters of the public private split got all incensed about girls from Franfort travelling to attend Lex Cath and play basketball there ("we have to have territory limits" they cried.). If Lex Cath's girls basketball program can be so attractive to have parents/students drive from Frankfort to Lexington each and every day, why can't the rural schools have athletic and academic programs that are so attractive to have parents/students drive a county or two to attend? Why can't Pendleton County's girl's basketball become so good, so as to be able to attract student athletes from southern Campbell County, or northern Harrison County?

I'm curious to know why you don't think the rural schools have that option?

If I recall properly, a lot of the supporters of the public private split got all incensed about girls from Franfort travelling to attend Lex Cath and play basketball there ("we have to have territory limits" they cried.). If Lex Cath's girls basketball program can be so attractive to have parents/students drive from Frankfort to Lexington each and every day, why can't the rural schools have athletic and academic programs that are so attractive to have parents/students drive a county or two to attend? Why can't Pendleton County's girl's basketball become so good, so as to be able to attract student athletes from southern Campbell County, or northern Harrison County?

:dancingpa

I've asked that question numerous times myself.

There is something that makes some schools (public and private) attractive enough that parents are willing to pay tuition and provide transportation. It certainly seems like other schools would want to emulate that success rather then discourage it.