Drawing from multiple counties

Bluegrasscard

How do they accomplish that? They are a public school, right?

They are an independent school. They control who attends their school from outside the district and the folks that reside in Ft. Thomas do an excellent job of controlling who moves into their district per one of their Alumnus.

"I never went to school with a minority classmate until I reached college". This gentleman is 46 years old. He added"This is a very close-knit community".

My point is independent schools can take kids from all over. The boundaries that Mr. Sears would have you believe exist are not as limiting to independent schools as other schools. Each county makes it's own set of rules on who can and cannot attend their schools from outside their "boundary". I don't care why a kid chhoses to attend a certain school, it's that he can. The public school folks aren't as limited as it may seem on the surface.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Student would not be eligible unless the parents moved...right?::confused:

Depends on the rules of the specific school district they are trying to enroll their child. Every county or independent public school district chooses who can and cannot attend their school. They cannot exclude those who live within their "district".

Does "in school suspension" exist all over the state? That's how Jefferson County deals with many of their problem kids.

Correct me if I am wrong but...if a student is attending an independent by way of (tuition list) and living in the county and transfers to the county school, he/she would be ineligible as a move by the parent would be irrelevant since they were already living in the county school district--right?

Not necessarily. If I remember the case correctly from my Safe Schools training, the child decided NOT TO TRYOUT because he would have to take the one drug test and then random drug tests. So in essence you have a similar thing. Some kids would remove themselves from trying out because of the drug testing.

NOW, a BIG, BIG difference is that the actions that led them to eliminate themselves from athletics were ILLEGAL actions and the choice of middle school is not.

Not the same at all in my limited mind. Students can CHOOSE not to play based on the drug testing policy. Many, if not most, would have no issue and no problem with it. Under Prop 2 kids would be told they can't play (and no, I don't equate being able to practice with being able to play) because of where their parents chose to send them to school. That's a huge difference in my admittedly limited mind.

Correct me if I am wrong but...if a student is attending an independent by way of (tuition list) and living in the county and transfers to the county school, he/she would be ineligible as a move by the parent would be irrelevant since they were already living in the county school district--right?

If the student played VARSITY sports then you are corrrect. If he/she played no sports or sub-varsity sports then he/she would be eligible immediately.

In regards to the drug testing, is it a right or a privelage for a student to attend school? Is it a right or a privelage to play in the band? Is it a right or a privelage to be in the choir, Hi-Y, FCA, etc? If the athletes are drug tested the entire school should be drug tested or at least everyone participating in any type of extra-curricular activity and if they are not and only drug testing my son/daughter due to playing sports, well there will be some kind of legal action due to discrimination.

In regards to the drug testing, is it a right or a privelage for a student to attend school? Is it a right or a privelage to play in the band? Is it a right or a privelage to be in the choir, Hi-Y, FCA, etc? If the athletes are drug tested the entire school should be drug tested or at least everyone participating in any type of extra-curricular activity and if they are not and only drug testing my son/daughter due to playing sports, well there will be some kind of legal action due to discrimination.

You can take legal action if you want but the Supreme Court has already ruled that drug testing of athletes is legal without having to include the others that you mentioned.

I think the big difference is that playing the trombone will intoxicated does not mean that another student may be injured. Standing on the mound, throwing a 90 MPH fastball while high does run the risk of seeing another student injured.

I agree with you on this, at our school if you participate in any extra-curricular program (sports, band, clubs, etc) you are subject to random drug testing. I was glad they did this so that all the students know there is a chance for this.

I like the rule.