Drawing from multiple counties

Bluegrasscard

As always, LN great points. I won't copy it to save space. But great, great points.

My point has been to counter the argument that has been put out there that it is as simple of having open enrollment and problem solved. It is not that way.

And that some of the issues that fight against public schools improving and drawing people, public schools have zero say in and control over.

Job creation that draws families into a community jumps to the mind very quickly.

As you have brought Pendleton County in the debate, they are one of I think only TWO school districts in the state that has a Nobel Prize winner among their alum. For each and every student who WANTS a great education, you will get one at Pendleton County. Highlands simply has more kids who WANT a great education and thus, they come across as a better school, academically.

One of my favorite teachers growing up and one of my mentors as a new teacher, recently retired and took a job at a private school in NKY. She said the big difference was that at her new job, EVERY kid she has WANTS to be in her class and WANTS to learn. That is it.

Same teacher, doing the same job at the same level. Big difference is the kids that are sent to her from their parents. The parents of that private school have done a WONDERFUL job imparting on their children the desire for an education and the motivation to go out and get one.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, LN great points. I want copy it to save space. But great, great points.

My point has been to counter the argument that has been put out there that it is as simple of having open enrollment and problem solved. It is not that way.

And that some of the issues that fight against public schools improving and drawing people, public schools have zero say in and control over.

Job creation that draws families into a community jumps to the mind very quickly.

As you have brought Pendleton County in the debate, they are one of I think only TWO school districts in the state that has a Nobel Prize winner among their alum. For each and every student who WANTS a great education, you will get one at Pendleton County. Highlands simply has more kids who WANT a great education and thus, they come across as a better school, academically.

One of my favorite teachers growing up and one of my mentors as a new teacher, recently retired and took a job at a private school in NKY. She said the big difference was that at her new job, EVERY kid she has WANTS to be in her class and WANTS to learn. That is it.

Same teacher, doing the same job at the same level. Big difference is the kids that are sent to her from their parents. The parents of that private school have done a WONDERFUL job imparting on their children the desire for an education and the motivation to go out and get one.

Good point about the importance of kids wanting a great education, which means we have to convince parents of the absolute need for their children to get a great high school education. Not an easy task I admit, but a task that has to be accomplished if public schools are going to remain a viable method of educating our children.

Good point about the importance of kids wanting a great education, which means we have to convince parents of the absolute need for their children to get a great high school education. Not an easy task I admit, but a task that has to be accomplished if public schools are going to remain a viable method of educating our children.

Amen!!!

And no way to level this playing field, but I have consistently said this is the BIGGEST advantage that the privates have. Every parent that sends a kid to a private school has a care about their child's education.

We have some great parents in public schools, but we cannot make that same statement about all of our parents. There are times in parents conferences, I wanted to slap some sense into the parent sitting across from me.

Amen!!!

And no way to level this playing field, but I have consistently said this is the BIGGEST advantage that the privates have. Every parent that sends a kid to a private school has a care about their child's education.

We have some great parents in public schools, but we cannot make that same statement about all of our parents. There are times in parents conferences, I wanted to slap some sense into the parent sitting across from me.

What a breath of fresh air the last few posts by LN and LBBC have been. FINALLY, a discussion about the reality of attracting students, athletes or not, to public, and even more, private schools. No question there is basically no difference between teachers at both types of schools, but the ATMOSPHERE is so much different in most cases. If a parent really cares what kind of education their child gets, sees a better opportunity at a school NOT in there district and is willing to sacrifice to pay the tuiton, more power to them. In college if a student is interesed in a specific subject, they seek out schools that excell in that area. Same thing in high school. Public schools, for the most part, have more than the where with all to compete with private schools for students. If they loose these students to private schools look in the mirror as to why, don't try to legislate them from leaving for better oportunities. There is a reason kids leave your school district for other schools. Find out what that is and correct it. In other words, COMPETE.

What a breath of fresh air the last few posts by LN and LBBC have been. FINALLY, a discussion about the reality of attracting students, athletes or not, to public, and even more, private schools. No question there is basically no difference between teachers at both types of schools, but the ATMOSPHERE is so much different in most cases. If a parent really cares what kind of education their child gets, sees a better opportunity at a school NOT in there district and is willing to sacrifice to pay the tuiton, more power to them. In college if a student is interesed in a specific subject, they seek out schools that excell in that area. Same thing in high school. Public schools, for the most part, have more than the where with all to compete with private schools for students. If they loose these students to private schools look in the mirror as to why, don't try to legislate them from leaving for better oportunities. There is a reason kids leave your school district for other schools. Find out what that is and correct it. In other words, COMPETE.

Here is the problem with that. Public schools by nature and by law have to be a buffet restaurant or the Golden Corral (Trough in my family). They have to serve the tastes of EVERY SINGLE STUDENT in their community. Gifted and Talented kid, teach to their level. Vocational kid, teach to their level. Resource student, teach to their level. Down Syndrome student, teach to their level. Average student, teach to their level. Athletic student, teach to their level. Band/Chorus student, teach to their level.

Privates are more of the specialized restaurant. They can choose to be the the Italian restaurant and cater to that crowd. They can choose to be the Mexican restaurant and cater to that crowd. Or they can choose to be an Italian restaurant with 1-2 Mexican items on the menu.

Publics cannot and SHOULD NOT be able to legally divert the resources spent on one population to compete for other populations.

Everyone keeps saying funding is not the answer. But if you want top of the line programs FOR ALL POPULATIONS AND SPORTS to compete and that is what will be required of public schools (because they cannot discriminate against a single population) than funding will have to increase.

It is the proverbial rock and hard place.

I said basically every school has the option but it is not an option that is realistic in meriting new students.
That might be how you meant it, but that wasn't exactly the way it was stated.

Bottom line ... school districts that don't have open enrollment have no right to gripe about those that do, because they can choose to do it, too. It's simply a matter of philosophy.

There are plenty of independent districts in the rural areas of the state that sometimes attract kids from outside their boundaries, and often it has nothing to do with sports. And the same is true for some county districts as well.

There are plenty of independent districts in the rural areas of the state that sometimes attract kids from outside their boundaries, and often it has nothing to do with sports. And the same is true for some county districts as well.

There is no difference between a county or independent school system.

Not exactly true, although both are public school districts. The way some people post here, they think independent schools are closer to private than public.

The only difference is local tax base. Both get federal and state monies on a per student basis. County gets full county funding, independent gets local, (usually city) funding. Both would require reciprical agreements to receive money with a transfer, both could deny transfers that agreement. For the purpose of this thread, i.e. losing or attracting students, they are identical.

Geography won't be an issue for eastern Kentucky schools much longer if mountaintop removal mining continues unabated . Soon Eastern Kentucky will look like Kansas . Flat .

Harlan County is in no danger of going flat in the next century or two.

The only difference is local tax base. Both get federal and state monies on a per student basis. County gets full county funding, independent gets local, (usually city) funding. Both would require reciprical agreements to receive money with a transfer, both could deny transfers that agreement. For the purpose of this thread, i.e. losing or attracting students, they are identical.
Well, as you just pointed out, there are differences, although you said earlier that there weren't.

Of course, you're talking strictly in the legal sense. There are a lot of differences in the typical independent and typical county systems, particularly in terms of demographics.

That might be how you meant it, but that wasn't exactly the way it was stated.

Bottom line ... school districts that don't have open enrollment have no right to gripe about those that do, because they can choose to do it, too. It's simply a matter of philosophy.

Corbin Independent receives students from outside their boundaries at a ratio of approximately 7:1 compared to the ones who leave, with sports rarely being the main reason. Reciprocal agreements have been good for Corbin.

Here is the problem with that. Public schools by nature and by law have to be a buffet restaurant or the Golden Corral (Trough in my family). They have to serve the tastes of EVERY SINGLE STUDENT in their community. Gifted and Talented kid, teach to their level. Vocational kid, teach to their level. Resource student, teach to their level. Down Syndrome student, teach to their level. Average student, teach to their level. Athletic student, teach to their level. Band/Chorus student, teach to their level.

Privates are more of the specialized restaurant. They can choose to be the the Italian restaurant and cater to that crowd. They can choose to be the Mexican restaurant and cater to that crowd. Or they can choose to be an Italian restaurant with 1-2 Mexican items on the menu.

Publics cannot and SHOULD NOT be able to legally divert the resources spent on one population to compete for other populations.

Everyone keeps saying funding is not the answer. But if you want top of the line programs FOR ALL POPULATIONS AND SPORTS to compete and that is what will be required of public schools (because they cannot discriminate against a single population) than funding will have to increase.

It is the proverbial rock and hard place.

While your point is a valid one, I'd be interested in knowing the dollars per student that the public schools have to spend on their diverse student bodies vs the dollars per student at the private schools.

The publics do have to deal with students that the private schools don't have to accept. But I'm under the assumption that the publics have a lot more dollars to handle that additional burden. Is my assumption wrong?

Do some public school districts have a surplus of money and other public school districts have a shortage of money? If so, should something be done, funding formula wise to balance that out? Or is it a matter of those with a surplus execising better fiscal management than those with shortages? Why do some public school districts have to rely on a much greater percentage of local tax dollars to keep their schools running than others? Is that fair, when it is the State's obligation to provide public education?

Interested in your (and other's) thoughts to these questions. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if academic and athletic success is based in part on funding, I think my questions are germane to the topic of this thread.

If I took my children to Highlands, it would be totally an athletic reason. As in my personal opinion, they teach the same subjects as my child's present schools and academically, MY WIFE AND I are the ones to determine how good of an education they are receiving by the standards that we are requiring of them.

Highlands consistently has the highest CATS scores in the Commonwealth. Not all 800 plus are there for athletics. Maybe some kids like attending a school because of the academics or because their best friend may play a sport. Highlands can attain these lofty scores because the impoverished child is taken out of the equation.