Holding students back for athletics.

lawrencefan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The message wrong or not has been received by many parents. I am aware of a family who has held back all of its boys 1 year. When this happens in kindergarten I can't help but think it was for sports. It's tough to know if the student is behind before they start.

The opportunity for a year (or 2) more of development gets the attention of quite a few parents - particularly if the parent was a late bloomer. I don't like the practise, but some students actually benefit from an academic perspective.

What is everyone's opinion on holding kids back purely for athletics?
Welcome to BGP lawrencefan and be sure to visit the New Member forum....thumb[1].gif

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/forumd...aysprune=&f=34

Read the "Everything a Rookie" thread and it will answer, any questions.

Often times, student-athletes are held back due to early graduation, maturity or size but holding back strictly for athletics, would have to be done at such an early age, it would virtually impossible to determine how the student would grow and continue to improve.

The message wrong or not has been received by many parents. I am aware of a family who has held back all of its boys 1 year. When this happens in kindergarten I can't help but think it was for sports. It's tough to know if the student is behind before they start.

The opportunity for a year (or 2) more of development gets the attention of quite a few parents - particularly if the parent was a late bloomer. I don't like the practise, but some students actually benefit from an academic perspective.

Well said Bear, I was implying only for athletics like the thread stated. but, if the student athlete isn't ready for academics for what ever reason, by all means hold them back.

You do here a lot of talk about this subject. It seems to have become a pretty common practice in a some of areas of the state. I am not speaking of anything that I know of, only what I have heard other people discussing. It is a topic that gets discussed a lot, and like the old saying, "if there's smoke..."

I was actually held back in the 11th grade, but, it was for maturity and academic maturity rather than athletics. Although, I didn't get to play an extra year of football, because I was held back in high school and not prior to 9th grade. Thanks Lloyd Memorial.

Well, I'd guess that the opinions of some are from those not old enough to be parents of kids of that age yet. I held my son back and he and I agree it was the best decision that his mother and I have made. It has helped him athletically, and he already was a straight A student, so there has been no benefit academically. But I will say this, he will now graduate a year later, and hopefully a year more mature. If I can keep him in my house for an extra year, hopefully guiding him as he matures to make better decisions for his future, well,,,,that's my prerogative. It seems that it wasn't that long ago when I left the "nest" off to college. But when I step back and look at all that has changed, the challenges that he'll face are even greater than the ones I faced. That year of maturity may be just what he needs to make better decisions and possibly avoid some of the pitfalls he'd have made a year sooner.