What are your top 3 favorite guitar solos??

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 Comfortably Numb. The best and my favorite. Its so moving, and there's so much emotion in that solo. Its not just an insane jumble of notes, its a perfectly constructed ensemble of notes that make you feel just as the songs title suggests.

2 Foreplay / Long Time - Boston -- since this is favorite 3 and not best I will throw that in there. There are several solos that just get me going crazy in that song.

3 An assortment of songs. I just can't decide.

So hard to narrow the list down to just three but it looks like everyone on here has been on point so far.

No way I can narrow it down to three but some I would consider would be (and most already mentioned)

Jimi Hendrix

"Machine Gun" (if you haven't heard it, then you need too. :D: thumb:)

"Little Wing"

"Stairway" - Zeppelin (Jimmy Page)

"Stranglehold" - The Nuge

I agree with everyone on David Gilmour and "Comfortably Numb", however personally I would have it tied with "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Empty Spaces", "Have a Cigar", and possibly "Time" or one of the solo's from "Echoes" as far as favorite Gilmour solo or solo of all time is concerned. But like said, a Gilmour solo does need to be mentioned, however, I don't see how it can just be unanimous with Comfortably Numb as that solo considering his slate of work.

Pantera (Dimebag Darrell Abbott)

"Domination"

"Floods"

"Eruption" - Van Halen (Eddie V)

"Freebird"

"Snowblind" - Black Sabbath (Toni Iommi)

"South of Heaven" - Slayer (Kerry King)

"Pawn Shop" - Sublime (Bradley Nowell)

"Love Buzz" - Nirvana (Kurt Cobain)

Guns and Roses (Slash)

"Estranged"

"November Rain"

Zakk Wylde

"Believer" (Ozzy Osbourne and Randy Rhodes Original)

"No More Tears" (Ozzy)

"In this River" - Black Label Society

"Stillborn" - Black Label Society

"Genocide Junkies" - Black Label Society

and shewww these are just off the top of my head, top three is just way too hard!!!!!!!

• 5 years later...

Let's dust this puppy off and give her another spin around the block.

Here's a few favorites — not necessarily my top 3 — but faves nonetheless.

"Wishlist" by Pearl Jam — Mike McCready is an incredibly underrated guitarist, capable of amazing things while always in the background of Eddie Vedder's shine. But the licks he comes up with in this tune just flat-out soar. Especially the one right after Eddie gets done singing about "I wish I was the full moon shining off Cousin Gary's hood."

Cold chills every time.

"Free Your Mind …" by Funkadelic — Eddie Hazel nibbles around with it early on, setting you up for the killer stuff. Once you get to it — and you will know — I dare you to sit still. Amazing.

"Champagne Supernova" by Oasis — Noel Gallagher's opus, and one of the greatest tunes of the '90s. It hits right after the second verse, then again right before the last bridge, and the noodling in between is pure rock'n'roll joy.