Deters: Independence County

cshs81

Attorney Eric Deters (think aspiring Bill Cunningham for those not from NKY but who listen to WLW) is starting a petition to have voters vote on the city of Independence and the unincorporated part of southern Kenton County seceeding from Kenton County. This is in response to his failed attempt to get Kenton Co Judge-Exec Ralph Drees to reconsider on putting the new jail in Independence.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the same Eric Deters who is suing Chad Johnson and the Funny Bone. The same Deters who sued the Kenton County Public Library because they wouldn't build the new Independence branch on his family's property. (They own the Independence Town Center). This guy is bad news. I'll probably be the next one to be sued for this post.

Deters wants an independent Independence so he can be king of the land. Isn't Independence still the county seat of Kenton County?

The irony of this after Ralph Drees proposed a metro style government for Northern Kentucky. Which I think is a good idea, BTW.
We're kicking the snot out of Hamilton County's metro style government. Most of the communitys get along well. I'm not so sure that this is a good idea. Bigger government might just mean more red tape.

The secession talk from Deters started back just before Christmas.

The same Deters who sued the Kenton County Public Library because they wouldn't build the new Independence branch on his family's property. (They own the Independence Town Center).

He did have a valid point with this one. His main argument was the process used to select the location was not valid, even though everyone knew he was upset about the location. Instead of sticking the library right between SK/Kenton Elementary and Summit View, they stuck it out off Walton Nicholson Road. The cities argument was that there wasn't enough land at Deters site for the library, and when you look at where the library is built on Walton Nicholson, you know that is false.

As far as "Independence County", that's Deters for you.

This is the same Eric Deters who is suing Chad Johnson and the Funny Bone. The same Deters who sued the Kenton County Public Library because they wouldn't build the new Independence branch on his family's property. (They own the Independence Town Center). This guy is bad news. I'll probably be the next one to be sued for this post.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

We're kicking the snot out of Hamilton County's metro style government. Most of the communitys get along well. I'm not so sure that this is a good idea. Bigger government might just mean more red tape.

The secession talk from Deters started back just before Christmas.

Hamilton County does not have a metro style government and it's killing them.

For the common man, metropolitan govt is a disaster in my opinion. As it is right now, if you are having a problem with city services, odds are you'll see your mayor or a council member going in or out of the local convenient store or church and can voice your gripe to the person empowered to do something about it. If they consolidate all the counties and cities in to one big govt unit, access to the decision makers will be MUCH, MUCH limited. Rather, you'll have to talk to three layers of bureaucrats whom won't have the time of day to talk to you. Plus you will be one of only 100,000 voters, so you won't mean that much to them.

As for all the added efficiencies, I'll admit there may be some, just not near as many in fact as there are on paper. Consolidate all the fire departments and its true you'll only now have to pay for one fire chief. But within 10 years, they'll be 5 Asst Chiefs because the Fire Chief will be too busy to do it on his own. Another level of bureaucracy added to the organization. 10 years after that, they will be 5 Assistant Assistant Chiefs.

There is some definite benefit to voluntarily consolidating some city/county services and sometimes things get moving quicker. But by keeping separate govt units, when the people in a county or city get upset with the consolidated service they can vote to withdrawal from the consolidated service. For example, when they realized about 10 years ago that their citizens were getting hosed by being a part of the Campbell County Cable Board, the City of Ft. Thomas withdrew from that consolidated service. The Council did a city wide survey and found out that a large (and I mean large) percentage of the citizens did not use or care to use the public access equipment, yet they were paying for it. (It didn't help the Cable Board argument that the City should stay in when it was discovered that all the board members were going on "seminars" in Las Vegas either).

For those that argue that big govt is efficient govt, I just ask them to discuss the situation with any person whom has ever filed a claim with the Social Security Administration (or any other federal agency for that matter). Bigger is usually more inefficient in practice. Plus the dollars handled are so much bigger which leads to more waste in my opinion.

I love Ralph and he's a friend, but on this one, he's wrong. No thanks; give me my little old Ft. Thomas City Council to deal with. They waste $25,000 dollars and its a big issue. The City of Cincinnati probably wastes $25,000 per hour.

I love Ralph and he's a friend, but on this one, he's wrong. No thanks; give me my little old Ft. Thomas City Council to deal with. They waste $25,000 dollars and its a big issue. The City of Cincinnati probably wastes $25,000 per hour.

LN - you and Deters hang out, right?

How many businesses are south of Independence? What the population from Independence south? If it's not many where will all other money come from to run the "new" county?

I agree with LN on most of his agreement against a metro government, as he said in every city you have access to your council members or mayor, and even see them around town. As stated before, for the most part all of the cities get alone very well, and each city has it's own personal "charm".

Didn't Deters get kicked out/fired from his dad's law firm?