Shooting in Fort Thomas

Gunner11

Doesn't a 911 call justify probable cause?

I don't think, by itself, it does.

However, I'd suggest that the way in which the officer was received (not at the door but halfway down the block) would combined with the call could/would.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that if you get a 911 call on a domestic violence call that all parties involved are questioned, regardless of what the party that made the calls says when the police shows up. In fact in the Kentucky Domestic Dispute Policy it says ALL parties and witnesses to be interviewed away from each other, only one party was present, the other was told to have been in the house.

I am sure that all departments are going to make sure from here on out that they interview / question all parties involved before they leave the scene again.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm saying they did make a mistake. Its human nature to get lulled into such a state when police grow up in a small community and know everyone or most everyone. Its easy to fall into the trap of assuming everything is alright when its a childhood friend involved and from all appearances there has never been a domestic disupte. I may have acted the same way if I was the officer. I hope not though.

They have to be told they made a mistake? Wow.

I would have thought(and I'm willing to bet that I'm right) that someone within the FTPD had that lack of detailed response to the 911 call cross their mind on Monday at about 10:00 in the morning.

No good organization waits to be told. When you're dealing with what police deal with, you always look for better ways to handle situations. I've got all the confidence in the world that the Chief of Police in Ft Thomas (and other jurisdictions) are taking a hard look at how they handle such a call.

You DID make an asumption, IMO, and I think you are completely wrong.

Cool.

I agree with you. I have a question for the lawyers here, since we went over New York Times v. Sullivan all the way down to Gertz and other defamation cases last semester. Aren't the police logs public record and the public has the right to access of such records? How can Campbell Co. and Ft. Thomas withhold those files from the reporters? I'm asking purely for my own knowledge.

I would think that if you get a 911 call on a domestic violence call that all parties involved are questioned, regardless of what the party that made the calls says when the police shows up. In fact in the Kentucky Domestic Dispute Policy it says ALL parties and witnesses to be interviewed away from each other, only one party was present, the other was told to have been in the house.

I am sure that all departments are going to make sure from here on out that they interview / question all parties involved before they leave the scene again.

A neighbor called the police.

I agree with you. I have a question for the lawyers here, since we went over New York Times v. Sullivan all the way down to Gertz and other defamation cases last semester. Aren't the police logs public record and the public has the right to access of such records? How can Campbell Co. and Ft. Thomas withhold those files from the reporters? I'm asking purely for my own knowledge.

The attorney for the Enquirer says that they are public records and cannot be held in secret by the police. Since its not something that has to be dug up by detective work and since it was , according to him, available to the public prior to the murder, it IS public.

I am (and this is for RTS) "assuming" that the defense attorneys are going to go the route of self-defense and possibly the Battered Wife Syndrome. One problem for them could be that , if true, the wife had previously met with a divorce attorney. This could , indeed, nullify the use of BWS since one of the requirements is that the wife felt she knew of no other way to extricate herself from the victim. There was a case where a twice-divoced lady killed her abusive husband and claimed self-defense and BWS. The jury found her innocent but later the appellate court overturned that since she had shown in her previous 2 marriages that she knew how to get out of a bad marriage.

I'll be curious to see if the prosecutor argues along the same lines.

So were the neighbors interviewed?
I have no idea. But think of the can of worms you're opening for Police if that is policy.

If I didn't like my neighbor, I could just call the police everytime they got on their nerves, and make something up. which would then involve the police coming and butting in their lives completely unsubstantiated.

I have no idea. But think of the can of worms you're opening for Police if that is policy.

If I didn't like my neighbor, I could just call the police everytime they got on their nerves, and make something up. which would then involve the police coming and butting in their lives completely unsubstantiated.

This is why 911 by itself cannot be enough for probable cause.

That is incorrect. According to the Domestic Dispute Policy in place for the state of Kentucky, the police could do much more.

It very much depends on the situation. Since none of us have the full details, I refuse to keep speculating at this point.