Shooting in Fort Thomas

Gunner11

Why don't we just let things unfold before we jump to any conclusions. Between all the rumors and armchair detective work this is getting really ridiculous.

RTS - I did not jump to any conclusions. I asked a legitimate question that others are asking as well. A 911 call has to be looked into further than , as it was reported, the FTPD did. Heck, they didn't even file a report of the call from what it said in the paper.

They weren't concerned that the lady met them on the sidewalk rather than at the door? That didn't raise any concerns? My guess is that you will see a)more people asking the same questions and b)FTPD and other police agencies will re-emphasize the need for a deeper check on such calls. We all learn from mistakes, right? Its how we react to these mistakes that says a lot about us personally and as an organization.

So, this doesn't fall under armchair detective work or rumor as you said. It was a mistake and hopefully it will not be repeated. Read nothing more into it than what I've posted.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RTS - I did not jump to any conclusions. I asked a legitimate question that others are asking as well. A 911 call has to be looked into further than , as it was reported, the FTPD did. Heck, they didn't even file a report of the call from what it said in the paper.

They weren't concerned that the lady met them on the sidewalk rather than at the door? That didn't raise any concerns? My guess is that you will see a)more people asking the same questions and b)FTPD and other police agencies will re-emphasize the need for a deeper check on such calls. We all learn from mistakes, right? Its how we react to these mistakes that says a lot about us personally and as an organization.

So, this doesn't fall under armchair detective work or rumor as you said. It was a mistake and hopefully it will not be repeated. Read nothing more into it than what I've posted.

Sure it does, they haven't been told they've done anything wrong yet. You are making the assumption they did. Until it’s proven they’ve botched something, it’s armchair detective work. You may very well be right, but let’s let the pro’s make the call. ;)

Sure it does, they haven't been told they've done anything wrong yet. You are making the assumption they did. Until it’s proven they’ve botched something, it’s armchair detective work. You may very well be right, but let’s let the pro’s make the call. ;)

I'm not assuming anything. I'm saying they did make a mistake. Its human nature to get lulled into such a state when police grow up in a small community and know everyone or most everyone. Its easy to fall into the trap of assuming everything is alright when its a childhood friend involved and from all appearances there has never been a domestic disupte. I may have acted the same way if I was the officer. I hope not though.

They have to be told they made a mistake? Wow.

I would have thought(and I'm willing to bet that I'm right) that someone within the FTPD had that lack of detailed response to the 911 call cross their mind on Monday at about 10:00 in the morning.

No good organization waits to be told. When you're dealing with what police deal with, you always look for better ways to handle situations. I've got all the confidence in the world that the Chief of Police in Ft Thomas (and other jurisdictions) are taking a hard look at how they handle such a call.

There was NO mistake! They followed accepted pprocedure for that type of situation. Since she was not in the house, and stated there was no assault committed, LEGALLY, they could do no more. Your insinuation that childhood friendships got in the way is not valid. Officer Dill was the one who was a close friend of Bob. Dill was not involved in the domestic disturbance case and took himself off the murder case.

There was NO mistake! They followed accepted pprocedure for that type of situation. Since she was not in the house, and stated there was no assault committed, LEGALLY, they could do no more. Your insinuation that childhood friendships got in the way is not valid. Officer Dill was the one who was a close friend of Bob. Dill was not involved in the domestic disturbance case and took himself off the murder case.

Correct, procedurally (is that a word?) speaking. Do you think the procedure may change? Or does your bro?

Correct, procedurally (is that a word?) speaking. Do you think the procedure may change? Or does your bro?

I would think that the city will change them. The police department, of which my cousin is an officer, will face some heat for the domestic dispute. Whether fair or not, it will be overblown due to the events that occured later, and changes in procedure will most likely be addressed and ratified. My humble and uneducated opinion.

There was NO mistake! They followed accepted pprocedure for that type of situation. Since she was not in the house, and stated there was no assault committed, LEGALLY, they could do no more. .

Before I respond, give me your thoughts on the "legally" part.

It may. Things like this, which offer hindsight, tend to lead to changes. But I don't really know what more they could have done.

On the other hand, the more I read about this case, the more I wonder if that incident isn't more meaningful than it seems. But our speculation isn't going to help anyone. Let's just let it happen as it happens.

I would think that the city will change them. The police department, of which my cousin is an officer, will face some heat for the domestic dispute. Whether fair or not, it will be overblown due to the events that occured later, and changes in procedure will most likely be addressed and ratified. My humble and uneducated opinion.
I agree. They did things by the book. That's not to say the "book" won't be re-written -- given the wonderous clarity of hindsight.

Before I respond, give me your thoughts on the "legally" part.

There was a bit about this issue in the paper a few days ago, and I've been scouring the archives to find it. But, as I remember it, they could not press a case without evidence of abuse, or a complaint by either party. They had to have probable cause to enter the home. With her statements, and a lack of any physical evidence, they had nothing.

There was a bit about this issue in the paper a few days ago, and I've been scouring the archives to find it. But, as I remember it, they could not press a case without evidence of abuse, or a complaint by either party. They had to have probable cause to enter the home. With her statements, and a lack of any physical evidence, they had nothing.

This article?

Domestic violence is a misdemeanor charge and Kentucky police officers can make an arrest without witnessing the crime or having a warrant, said Mary Savage, legal counsel for the Kentucky Domestic Violence Association in Frankfort. Officers still need probable cause, concrete facts or reliable information that a crime has been committed.

This article?

Domestic violence is a misdemeanor charge and Kentucky police officers can make an arrest without witnessing the crime or having a warrant, said Mary Savage, legal counsel for the Kentucky Domestic Violence Association in Frankfort. Officers still need probable cause, concrete facts or reliable information that a crime has been committed.

Doesn't a 911 call justify probable cause?

They followed accepted pprocedure for that type of situation. Since she was not in the house, and stated there was no assault committed, LEGALLY, they could do no more.

That is incorrect. According to the Domestic Dispute Policy in place for the state of Kentucky, the police could do much more.

see E:2:

http://chfs.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/54B7AF71-5428-4EC6-AE69-158BBFBF8031/0/ModelDomesticViolenceLawEnforcementPolicy.htm

BTW, this link was provided by the Guru back during the A.J. Nicholson domestic violence thread.

Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT a legal expert of any kind. However, based on readings and discussions, "probable cause" is not out of the question in this case. To me its no different than an officer doing a "Terry stop" where he can question someone for a specific suspicious activity without their permission that could lead to an arrest.