Junior Griffey....

My dad and I were having this discussion the other day, and I wanted to see what everyone on here thought.....If Junior had not gotten hurt, and been healthy since the trade, would he wind up the greatest offensive player statistically to ever play?

His numbers as they are make him top 25-30 IMO....What say you?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad and I were having this discussion the other day, and I wanted to see what everyone on here thought.....If Junior had not gotten hurt, and been healthy since the trade, would he wind up the greatest offensive player statistically to ever play?

He'd be in the discussion.

It would be realy close. Can anyone post what the projected numbers would be?

Based on his career averages after his 1st year in Cincinnati, the last before the injuries started, I came up with (after this season):

2981 H, 1841 R, 541 2B, 695 HR, 2010 RBI, .296 Avg.

I took a different approach. Projecting his career averages over his 19 years assuming that he played in all 162 games his totals at the end of this season would be as follows:

2010 Runs (10th), 3623 Hits (5th), 614 2B (11th), 48 3B ( 500+), 774 HR (1st), 2207 RBI (3rd), 1493 BB (18th), 241 SB (228th).

Perhaps using 162 games per year is a bit unrealistic, but he has lost 4 1/2 years worth of games over his career due to injury. A healthy Griffey would compare favorablly to anyone.

I took a different approach. Projecting his career averages over his 19 years assuming that he played in all 162 games his totals at the end of this season would be as follows:

2010 Runs (10th), 3623 Hits (5th), 614 2B (11th), 48 3B ( 500+), 774 HR (1st), 2207 RBI (3rd), 1493 BB (18th), 241 SB (228th).

Perhaps using 162 games per year is a bit unrealistic, but he has lost 4 1/2 years worth of games over his career due to injury. A healthy Griffey would compare favorablly to anyone.

162 unrealistic? Yes.

Secondly, you are assuming his average would not have gone down as he aged which would be another flaw.

Still, his numbers would be top 5 all-time.

He would certainly be considered. When he came up, I recall him being possibly discussed, as going straight to the OF, as a teen.....Not many, get that accolade.

He did go straight to the OF as a teen. :D

The most impressive is that he would have been 228th place on the stolen bases list.

That is what is going to get him into the hall, his 228th place on that list.:D Hahahaha.

162 unrealistic? Yes.

Secondly, you are assuming his average would not have gone down as he aged which would be another flawStill, his numbers would be top 5 all-time.

I'm using the actual averages that he has obtained over the entire 18 1/2 seasons that he had played so far. That should be pretty accurate, just prorating the per game average over a 162 game season.

As far as 162 being unrealistic, Cal Ripken might disagree with you. ;)

I think he would have been hands down the best offensive player ever. Or at least until A-Rod played at least 15-20 more Aprils to match his numbers. Jr. wouldn't have had to worry about him later in the year.

162 unrealistic? Yes.

Secondly, you are assuming his average would not have gone down as he aged which would be another flaw.

Still, his numbers would be top 5 all-time.

Tell that to Bonds, Sosa, McGuire, all of which hit their prime very late in. I'd say it's not that far fetched, but with the injuries it's irrellavent.