AHSAA says NO to Hoover (Ala.) playing Colerain (Ohio) on Sunday

I'm REALLY surprised nobody has said anything about this yet on here....I know this is a Kentucky High School football thread but with a Ky team to play in the Herbstreit Challenge, I thought someone would have said something about it.

The article below was emailed to me a couple days ago from my boss who is originally from Alabama so he still takes a look at the online edition of the big Alabama newspapers (kind of like how I would be with the Courier-Journal and Herald-Leader if I were to ever move outside of Kentucky.)

AHSAA tells Bucs Sunday's for worship

Monday, May 14, 2007

MICHAEL CASAGRANDE

News staff writer

The Hoover High football team's appearance in a nationally televised event is in jeopardy, thanks to a ruling by the Alabama High School Athletic Association.

A unanimous vote by the AHSAA Central Board of Control on Wednesday denied the Bucs' request to play in a Sept.2 game that is part of the third annual Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge.

The reason? The game falls on a Sunday.

The Labor Day Weekend matchup of Hoover vs. Ohio power Colerain High was set to be aired live on ESPN2. The kickoff was slated for 12:37 p.m. at Nippert Stadium on the campus of the University of Cincinnati.

"Sunday is a day of worship," said Dan Washburn, the AHSAA executive director, when citing the reason for denying Hoover's application to play an out-of-state opponent.

There is no specific written rule that prohibits games from being played on a Sunday, Washburn said, but it is "policy established through practice."

Only under emergency circumstances could a game be played on a Sunday. Washburn cited Sunday's game three of the Class 6A semifinal baseball series between Shades Valley and Hillcrest of Tuscaloosa as an example. Inclement weather forced suspension of play Friday, and the two teams played a doubleheader Saturday.

Hoover coach Rush Propst said the ruling was unfair for several reasons.

"I understand it is a day of worship," he said. "I have no problem with that. But the problem I've got is that it's not during church service time."

The lack of a solid rule prohibiting Sunday play also bothers Propst.

"They just came up with a rule," he said.

Propst said Hoover could still appeal the AHSAA ruling as the event organizers have not decided how to accommodate the new situation.

Moving the game to either Saturday or Monday, according to Propst, would cause logistical problems for people, such as fans and the marching band, planning to drive to the game. The team plans to fly to Cincinnati.

"It looks like to me, it's an anti-Hoover move," Propst said.

Washburn said that assessment of the situation was "way out of line" and wasn't worthy of a response.

Even if the game could be moved to a different day, there is no guarantee ESPN2 would be able to air it since the college football season hits full stride that Saturday.

It would also add a financial burden to the school since the television revenue was going to pay for at least 75 percent of the traveling expenses, Propst said.

The finances of the situation played no factor in the board's decision, Washburn said.

The 11-game Challenge pits the top teams from the state of Ohio against the nation's elite programs.

Other teams scheduled to play this year include Long Beach (Calif.), Union (Okla.) and Independence of Charlotte, which enters the season with a 108-game winning streak.

This is a public school, right? So much for seperation of church and state. They are so high and mighty about playing football on a Sunday, but I wonder if the schools that are governed by this associaiton are allowed to post the 10 commandments in the school or begin the day with prayer. For that mater can you still say the pledge of allegence.

Given the climate that exist in most schools these days, I'd say the religious reasons given for not allowing Hoover to play in the event are a farce.

This is a public school, right? So much for seperation of church and state. They are so high and mighty about playing football on a Sunday, but I wonder if the schools that are governed by this associaiton are allowed to post the 10 commandments in the school or begin the day with prayer. For that mater can you still say the pledge of allegence.

Given the climate that exist in most schools these days, I'd say the religious reasons given for not allowing Hoover to play in the event are a farce.

:thumb: Right on! I think there is now a new HSAA at the top of the idiot list

Lawyers will be involved. The way I understand it, at this time there is not a law or rule by the AHSAA that actually states teams cannot play on sundays. The commissioner even stated that no ruling exists, it's just a commom "practice" among teams to not play on sundays. Therefore the AHSAA made a decision based on something that doesn't even exist. Hoover lawyers will have a field day with this one.

Ha. The game will be played. It will probably never go to court b/c of there not being any kind of rule or anything. It was a mistake on his part to say Sunday was a day of worship, b/c that clearly violates the separation of church and state. Can anyone say ACLU?

AHSAA, thank you for standing on morals and values which young men need more these days than ever before. We need to teach our youth who soon will be head of households, to have priorities in life. High School football is an American tradition on Friday nights, lets leave it there and give God his due on Sunday.

AHSAA, thank you for standing on morals and values which young men need more these days than ever before. We need to teach our youth who soon will be head of households, to have priorities in life. High School football is an American tradition on Friday nights, lets leave it there and give God his due on Sunday.

You cant force people to go to church an worship on sundays. Does it make me a bad person and mean I have no morals or values because I dont?

Do you spend every Sunday in church or in worship the entire day? If these players are in OH does that mean they can't, if they choose to, attend a worship service? They have a team chaplin, can he not perform service for them the morning of the game? It isn't so much about where you are physical as it is where you are mentally.