Joe Girardi in Cincy, in 2008?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And more importantly, why would you trade him now that he is actually producing like you thought?

There are two reasons that could play into any trade involving any player:

1. salary dump

2. for the betterment of the team long-term.

Griffey would fall under both 1 and 2.

That's why you trade him. Its nothing personal. Heck, I loved Sean Casey but I completely understood why he was not retained. His salary was a killer for this team as is Griffey's. You pay that money to players that help you win now or next year. Neither is going to happen with the Reds. Thus, you get rid of that salary and use it wisely to build your team for a couple of years down the road.

Like it or not, that's where we are with this team.

Even if they trade him there is no way another team is going to take a contract that includes paying him for years after he retires...

That would be the proverbial albatross around the Reds neck.

Even if they trade him there is no way another team is going to take a contract that includes paying him for years after he retires...

By the way, something about your avatar is frightening to me everytime I see it. (and its not the person on the right)

So you're saying Griff is what's killing the Reds?

Please pay attention. The bullpen is killing the Reds. The lack of consistent offense is killing the Reds. Sometimes Jerry kills the Reds. The Reds have zero chance at the playoffs this year and , most likely, next year.

Thus, while Griffey is hot (and who knows how long that will last), trade him if anyone will take him.

Why? They don't need him. They can lose 100 with or without him.

They can use his $10M or so to come up with a better team. He's not a $10M player right now nor does it appear he will be next year. Even if he was, they're still a bad team and he's not going to make a difference.

Please pay attention. The bullpen is killing the Reds. The lack of consistent offense is killing the Reds. Sometimes Jerry kills the Reds. The Reds have zero chance at the playoffs this year and , most likely, next year.

Thus, while Griffey is hot (and who knows how long that will last), trade him if anyone will take him.

Why? They don't need him. They can lose 100 with or without him.

They can use his $10M or so to come up with a better team. He's not a $10M player right now nor does it appear he will be next year. Even if he was, they're still a bad team and he's not going to make a difference.

Now you pay attention.

They're going to lose 100 anyway, like you said. So you as an owner want to sell as many tickets, shirts, hats, suites as possible.

Walk around GABP, 10 to 1 Griffey jerseys, and shirts to any other player. He sells, plain and simple. He's going to get to 600+ HR's here and it will sell tickets. He moves tickets, he moves merchandise, everything, he sells. He more than makes up for his salary, and they will not trade him.

I get what you're saying baseball wise, I'm not stupid, but, as a businessman, I wouldn't get rid of him and neither will Castellini, b/c he's not stupid.

Now you pay attention.

They're going to lose 100 anyway, like you said. So you as an owner want to sell as many tickets, shirts, hats, suites as possible.

Walk around GABP, 10 to 1 Griffey jerseys, and shirts to any other player. He sells, plain and simple. He's going to get to 600+ HR's here and it will sell tickets. He moves tickets, he moves merchandise, everything, he sells. He more than makes up for his salary, and they will not trade him.

I get what you're saying baseball wise, I'm not stupid, but, as a businessman, I wouldn't get rid of him and neither will Castellini, b/c he's not stupid.

Then ol' Bob will continue to not have the money for a better team. He can either do what's tough and right (move Griff) or do what's easy and short-term (keep the Kid). We'll be having this same discussion next year about being "years away."

Lastly, "10 to 1" is a relative figure. No one showing up at games because the Reds continue to suck is REAL.

Then ol' Bob will continue to not have the money for a better team. He can either do what's tough and right (move Griff) or do what's easy and short-term (keep the Kid). We'll be having this same discussion next year about being "years away."

Lastly, "10 to 1" is a relative figure. No one showing up at games because the Reds continue to suck is REAL.

When did Bob say that he didn't?

When did Bob say that he didn't?

Didn't have the money? How much is he willing to lose? Its a catch-22. Play poorly - no one buys tickets - no revenue for making the team better.

Thus, trade Griff - free up $10M - start making the team better - win more games - sell more tickets.

Didn't have the money? How much is he willing to lose? Its a catch-22. Play poorly - no one buys tickets - no revenue for making the team better.

Thus, trade Griff - free up $10M - start making the team better - win more games - sell more tickets.

Maybe you missed my post earlier.

1. Attendance is up this year. Say, so far all you want, they haven't played well all year, it's up.

2. The Reds were the 7th most profitable team in MLB last year. There not strapped for cash.

1. Attendance is up this year. Say, so far all you want, they haven't played well all year, it's up.

2. The Reds were the 7th most profitable team in MLB last year. There not strapped for cash.

I don't claim to be a financial expert but this is not a "bankrupt" team. Go by the old saying "you have to spend money to make money". :ylsuper:

Maybe you missed my post earlier.

Attendance is up this year because the Reds were coming off of a season in which they stayed in the division race up until the last week of the season. Last year came as a suprise and the jump in attendance didn't occur until later in the season. For that reason they sold more tickets for the early part of this season. Let the current trend continue for a couple of weeks and it will fall far short of 2006.