Open Job: Russell County

I like the lake and I love small town USA. If I wasn’t so old, knew anything about coaching, and didn’t have a family I’d seriously consider this job. We are isolated up here in NKY very much from the rest of the state. I’d love to take over a program and be the HC for a long time, maybe me falling back on my affinity for Mayberry. 

They have a new turf field where the old track was below the old football field.  They have sunk a lot of money into upgrading their facilities.  The Lakers have struggled the past decade, but has had some solid teams over the years.

On 2/23/2024 at 8:49 PM, gchs_uk9 said:

They aren't exactly a traditional power, but they've had some good teams and good coaches over the years. Ron Finley was there from 1976-86, winning two district titles, before starting the football program at Campbellsville University. Rodney Johnson was there 13 years in the 1990s-early 2000s and had nine winning seasons. Bill Sharp won 9, 11, and 10 games a season between 2010-12.

Russell County has traditionally had excellent baseball teams and solid basketball teams, although the move from the 12th Region to the 4th Region slowed some of their basketball success. Football has always seemed like their third interest, but as you can see above, it isn't an impossible place to have success.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:42 PM, Nuke LaLoosh said:

They have a new turf field where the old track was below the old football field.  They have sunk a lot of money into upgrading their facilities.  The Lakers have struggled the past decade, but has had some solid teams over the years.

The Lakers have had some regular season success since back during the Ron Finley era, but that has never led to any postseason success.  I don't think they have ever made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Do they have over 5 playoff wins in their history?  

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

The Lakers have had some regular season success since back during the Ron Finley era, but that has never led to any postseason success.  I don't think they have ever made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs.  Do they have over 5 playoff wins in their history?  

4-29 postseason record. First rounds wins in 2000, 2010, 2012, and 2013.

• Like 1

Obviously, there are a lot of non-football draws to this job (lake cumberland), and it appears that the district is beginning to really commit to the future of the athletic department. Even after all of these check marks in the Plus category, I really see RC as a great spot for a first time Head Coach or even a previous head coach looking to ride off into the sunset. Playoff success is not sustainable at RC for many reasons. I believe there will be flash in the pan times of success but long term region contention is not realistic, in my opinion. 

52 minutes ago, BEChargers said:

Why is long term not realistic?

I see the Boyle Co. Helmet in your profile picture.  Some may have said the same thing about long term success with the Rebels back in the day.  All it takes is the right coach, in the right situation, and "Jimmy's and Joes" to start building that foundation.  Boyle Co. should be the target of every school, in my opinion.

20 hours ago, BEChargers said:

Why is long term not realistic?

19 hours ago, Green River Monster said:

I see the Boyle Co. Helmet in your profile picture.  Some may have said the same thing about long term success with the Rebels back in the day.  All it takes is the right coach, in the right situation, and "Jimmy's and Joes" to start building that foundation.  Boyle Co. should be the target of every school, in my opinion.

I absolutely agree that Boyle Co should be the target for Russell Co's program. Every program in every classification has a "Boyle" that they can try and emulate, steal ideas from and attempt to construct a program similarly too. I guess instead of saying long term playoff success is not realistic, I should have asked, "what would qualify as success for this program?" Is it regional relevancy year in and year out, is it State Championship contention, is it district contention? Where is the bar for this program historically or now?

On 2/26/2024 at 12:18 PM, Green River Monster said:

Actually Boyle had longevity from the 70's on.  Buchanan was from '68-'73.  Ed Rall was from '74-'87 and had a winning record.  Sam Burke was one year interim.  John Griggs was from '89-'91.  Then Chuck Smith came.    

On 2/26/2024 at 7:41 AM, gchs_uk9 said:

4-29 postseason record. First rounds wins in 2000, 2010, 2012, and 2013.

Ron Finley had some very tough teams but never could get past the Corbin/Somerset hurdle.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hatz said:

Actually Boyle had longevity from the 70's on.  Buchanan was from '68-'73.  Ed Rall was from '74-'87 and had a winning record.  Sam Burke was one year interim.  John Griggs was from '89-'91.  Then Chuck Smith came.    

My point was "Boyle Co. Football" was not "Boyle Co. Football" until Chuck Smith took over in 1992.  The dynasty began with Smith.