Open Job: Russell County

3 hours ago, BobbyKnight said:

Does Ford go to NL? Casey? or does he go somewhere as an assistant again? 

I would assume Steven French will/should apply and be highly considered. 

I'm hearing some talk that Coach Ford's resignation came due to health reasons. Especially considering his age, I hope that isn't the case.

I think Steven French should get the nod.  He has a ton of experience with several top programs.  Has been a coordinator for a while.  I know he's applied for a few HC openings.  I think Russell Co. should pull the trigger with him and give him his shot. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

What would entice a coach with HC experience to apply for Russell Co.? I have zero clue on the history or facilities of the program. I do like the nickname though.

They aren't exactly a traditional power, but they've had some good teams and good coaches over the years. Ron Finley was there from 1976-86, winning two district titles, before starting the football program at Campbellsville University. Rodney Johnson was there 13 years in the 1990s-early 2000s and had nine winning seasons. Bill Sharp won 9, 11, and 10 games a season between 2010-12.

Russell County has traditionally had excellent baseball teams and solid basketball teams, although the move from the 12th Region to the 4th Region slowed some of their basketball success. Football has always seemed like their third interest, but as you can see above, it isn't an impossible place to have success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

What would entice a coach with HC experience to apply for Russell Co.? I have zero clue on the history or facilities of the program. I do like the nickname though.

They were making major upgrades to the football and baseball facilities this past fall.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FlyPattern said:

This will be Steven French with an outside shot at Josh Jaggers showing interest. 

I've not talked to Coach Jaggers about this opening, but I can't imagine he'd be looking this direction.

1 hour ago, LC-Flyboy said:

They were making major upgrades to the football and baseball facilities this past fall.

I haven't been in a few years but a friend went last fall and said the exact same thing. For those who might not know, Russell County had a combined football/baseball field. The football field stretched across the baseball outfield from foul pole to foul pole. A new football field has been built beyond the right field line of the baseball field. Below is an in-progress picture from Google Maps.

image.png.8d5dc96b72a7d6f7547f932ee7d2f9ca.png

• Like 6