Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The good jobs?

Featured Replies

Missing Friday nights so I thought I would bring this up to hear everyone else's opinion.  This is a tough question that usually only people close to a team or school can know. Which coaching jobs would everyone consider the really good jobs?  I know a few that I think probably are.  But a lot of those are just going by what I see written on here, success on the field, fan and community support, the word of some of the coaches I know.  Of course it's just my perception, only the coaches at these school really know if they are supported, helped and what not.  Not a real serious discussion, not looking to have any schools bashed or put down, just really wanting to know which jobs most people believe are really good places to be. I'm not looking for the jobs most consider bad jobs. Might be a few that many think "used to be" really good but now, not so much.  Just look for some off season discussions while many of these open jobs are being filled.  A program might not necessarily be a team that wins a lot to be on this list.  Don't think State Titles are a requirement to make it.  I know nobody coaches high school athletics for the money so money might not be much of a factor but it may not hurt.  

I played for Boyle County and I know a good bit about it and it's history.  I've been around it most of my life.  I personally think it's a very good job. 

This isn't a complete list, but just a few by class that come to mind for me.  I'm going to list the jobs that I perceive to be good.  Maybe if we get a lot of participation we can figure out what jobs may be Elite.

1A -  Pikeville, Williamsburg, Middlesboro, NCC, Campbellsville.

2A -  Mayfield, Owensboro Cath., LCA, Somerset.

3A - Louisville Central, CAL, E-town., LexCath, Bell Co., Belfry.

4A - Logan County, Paducah Tilghman, Bardstown, CovCath, Ashland, Johnson Central, Boyle, Corbin.

5A - Owensboro, Bowling Green, South Warren, Collins, Scott County, Highlands, Pulaski, Southwestern.

6A - Henderson County, Central Hardin, Manual, Meade, St. X., Bullitt East, Male, Ballard, Trinity, Ryle, Simon Kenton, Bryan Station, Frederick Douglas. 

Again, aside from the schools that I know well, a lot of this is just perception.  Might be some really nice jobs out there that are just low key.  Don't make a lot of noise but might be a great place to work.  I don't know a lot about far western Ky. schools.  If a school has had a ton of turnover I probably left them off.  A couple I added then erased.  Let me know what you think. 

  • Replies 37
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • I think this is a good discussion. What we see as current good jobs have potentially been turned into them. Speaking from my personal experience, many may have not considered Bryan Station a great pla

  • New Colonel
    New Colonel

    I much preferred coaching in places like you mentioned, where the kids are from backgrounds that most of us can't even imagine.  Yes, the team meal was definitely more important than just about anythi

  • I will add Beechwood in 2A and Cooper in 5A to start. 

I will add Beechwood in 2A and Cooper in 5A to start. 

  • Author
34 minutes ago, theguru said:

I will add Beechwood in 2A and Cooper in 5A to start. 

Geez.... Beechwood is a no brainer.  Just missed it. 

1 minute ago, BEChargers said:

Geez.... Beechwood is a no brainer.  Just missed it. 

At this point I think Cooper is too. 

Raceland always seems to be making noise in 1A. 

Historically, Franklin-Simpson belongs on this list.

What makes it a good job? 

Ability to have a winning record every year?

Potential to win a state title regularly?

School academics?

School culture?

 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

What makes it a good job? 

Ability to have a winning record every year?

Potential to win a state title regularly?

School academics?

School culture?

 

I think this is a good discussion. What we see as current good jobs have potentially been turned into them. Speaking from my personal experience, many may have not considered Bryan Station a great place to be five years ago. The numbers were very low, wins were tough to come by, facilities were below average and some would say there was no support. I believe as a coach, you can make your place a good job. Each year since I have been at Station, opportunities at other schools have presented themselves and each year I remind myself that where I am is my “best job”. As the years have gone by, the list of programs that I consider to be better gets shorter. Here is what I believe makes Bryan Station a great place to work.

1. Admin Support- The admin understand that athletics can have a positive impact on our players. Support of the program comes easy when they see the impact on students.(players, band, cheerleaders and student body)

2. Athletes walking the hallways - BS has an unbelievable amount of talent walking the halls, our most notable player walked the halls for two years before being convinced to play football. Now he is a NFL Hall if Famer (D Dawson)

3. Alumni and Community support- Our alumni have so much pride in the school it makes for a great environment on Friday nights and allows for us to find support when we need it financially.

4. Culture- Our culture has been recreated in the last four years. It includes high academic effort, accountability, hard work and commitment and amazing assistant coaches.

5. Winning- Our turnaround is directly related to the previous 4 points. Everyone involved has made Station a “good job”

I agree there are many good jobs out there, but some have been made good jobs because of the work and effort of all involved. Station is my “Good Job” 

Lloyd I think is a good job. Smaller school with multi sport athletes. Kids grow up playing and want to play football. The district appears to care about sports. Lots of football or former football coaches are employed throughout the district. Has some history to the program. The HS has access to the MS kids in a way few programs do. 

I would say the characteristics of a "good job" for a head coach would be

1.) Admin support (to do things you need to get done logistically)

2.) Parent support (fundraising and more logistical help)

3.) Community support (help create an atmosphere/culture that kids can buy into)

 

If a community has these 3 things and the football team still isn't reflecting a high water-mark standard then you have a bad head coach and not a bad job.

24 minutes ago, BlueRaider said:

I would say the characteristics of a "good job" for a head coach would be

1.) Admin support (to do things you need to get done logistically)

2.) Parent support (fundraising and more logistical help)

3.) Community support (help create an atmosphere/culture that kids can buy into)

 

If a community has these 3 things and the football team still isn't reflecting a high water-mark standard then you have a bad head coach and not a bad job.

I agree with your 3 points, but not with your final statement. Talent pool must also be considered. You could have all the support in the world but a small or poor talent pool. That coach still might not ever hit your "high water mark". Is that still a "Good Job" if you do everything right all the time and still cannot find a way to win? 

On 1/20/2024 at 8:09 PM, barrel said:

Lloyd I think is a good job. Smaller school with multi sport athletes. Kids grow up playing and want to play football. The district appears to care about sports. Lots of football or former football coaches are employed throughout the district. Has some history to the program. The HS has access to the MS kids in a way few programs do. 

More high schools should look to incorporate the middle school program with the high school program the way Lloyd does with Tichenor; especially those that are on the same campus.

I would argue that location of the school plays a HUGE role in what a "good" job is now for prospective coaches. While many jobs may be enticing, I would argue jobs like Warren East and Daviess Co., schools with limited football histories but located in some of KY's larger towns with access to places to eat, shop, area high education, and activities beyond natural features, are better jobs for a lot of coaches (and their wives) than some more name brand schools located in smaller communities. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.