NFL Draft chatter

I'll say that I enjoy the draft.  Even some of the absurd reactions, outfits and the like.  I like the sappy background stories and family stuff they show.  I always watch.  

I did find this little article on Stroud interesting regarding the test that identifies processing acumen.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/04/21/ohio-state-osu-quarterback-cj-stroud-struggles-cognitive-test-2023-nfl-draft-prospect-cte/70139209007/

• Like 1

From the article:

Stroud scored in the 18th percentile in his S2 Cognition testing.

Multiple sources told McGinn that Young's total score was in the 98th percentile, while Fresno State's Jake Haener was at 96%, Levis and BYU's Jaren Hall finished at 93%, Houston's Clayton Tune finished at 84%, Richardson finished at 79 and Tennessee's Hendon Hooker was at 46%.

================

I guess this is the new Wonderlic test and if I have it right from above that is a very, very low score.

• Sad 1

From the Great Google Machine:

What is S2 cognition test?

The S-2 is a battery of tests intended to gauge how quickly and accurately a prospect processes information in a chaotic environment while ignoring distractions. In the words of S2: S2 Cognition attempts to quantify split-second reaction times to visual stimuli on a computer screen. 2 days ago

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spindoc said:

Have to wonder if this affects the draft at the top.  Interesting that it's out there so close to the draft.

I agree and I thought a few years ago the NFL decided to stop sharing the results of these type of tests.  Now I think all the info should be available but I also understand it can be hurtful if someone doesn't score well.  Either way, I have to wonder too spindoc and I think any way you cut it a bad result is a negative. 

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

I agree and I thought a few years ago the NFL decided to stop sharing the results of these type of tests.  Now I think all the info should be available but I also understand it can be hurtful if someone doesn't score well.  Either way, I have to wonder too spindoc and I think any way you cut it a bad result is a negative. 

I'm glad neither of our teams needs a QB, lol.

However, it would surprise me if he fell and the middle slots could be where a team trades out and another moves up to grab him, regardless of his poor score.

I'd also be shocked if it has any bearing whatsoever on his slot.  I still think he will be at the top.

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Why do we need a cognitive test when we have HOURS of game film on these players?

I always wonder if there is any data comparing career success to these scores, but to answer the question, if I'm an owner committing tens of millions to a top of the draft player I want my crew to evaluate every single aspect of data we can. Game film, cognitive testing, how many times he got in fights in school, how many infected ingrown toenails he's had, etc...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I always wonder if there is any data comparing career success to these scores, but to answer the question, if I'm an owner committing tens of millions to a top of the draft player I want my crew to evaluate every single aspect of data we can. Game film, cognitive testing, how many times he got in fights in school, how many infected ingrown toenails he's had, etc...

Cognitive tests are ways to give an advantage to certain prospects, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Cognitive tests are ways to give an advantage to certain prospects, IMO. 

I could certainly see it being manipulated, but I can see that with anything else too. Lamar was only playing against college kids in a gimick college offense, etc. 

3 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I could certainly see it being manipulated, but I can see that with anything else too. Lamar was only playing against college kids in a gimick college offense, etc. 

Owners, GMs, coaches see what they want to see. They are willing to take on players with less impressive tape because a particular player makes them feel more comfortable. 

Just now, TheDeuce said:

Owners, GMs, coaches see what they want to see. They are willing to take on players with less impressive tape because a particular player makes them feel more comfortable. 

I won't disagree with that a bit. I'd still want the cognitive test, but I think we always "hire" what we are comfortable with. Contractor for your house, lawn maintenance, NFL QB, etc. Unfortunately, "comfortable" can mean some extremely different things for certain people. 

• Like 2

I want the data. That said, all I do with the test score is look more closely at the film, interviews, etc. No way that test score by itself overrules the other data. It is like this. If a QB threw a lot of INT's one of his seasons, I would research why a lot more closely and that is all. I wouldn't take him off my board just because he had "too many" INT's one season. More information leads to better decisions. The film is by far the most important information by a wide margin.

• Like 2