2023-2024 9th Region Discussion

Let's use this thread as a catch-all for 9th Region boys' basketball updates, transfers, relocations, movement, etc. before the next school year.  Newport certainly looks like the team to beat heading into next season with their young crop of terrific players, but can Coach Snapp hold them together...and even add to them.  Cooper returns a lot from the Region runner-up team.  Can CovCath reload after losing Isparo.  What does Holy Cross cobble together after losing nearly everyone, including the state's two-time leading scorer, Jake Meyer.  What does Dave Faust have up his sleeve as SHDHS loses a huge senior class as well.

Should be a fun off-season for the 9th Region's version of the "most beautiful game"!  🏀

• Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to 2023-2024 9th Region Discussion
  • 2 months later...

As much parity as there was last season with more than a couple of teams that could win it. IMO, it has flipped right around and become very top heavy.  Newport and CovCath are really the only 2 teams I believe that can win it, with maybe a huge upset with Highlands, but I don't see anyone else able to hang with the top 2.  I thought last year there were 7 teams that wouldn't have surprised me if they came out of the 9th. Just not the case this season.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hoops Junkie said:

As much parity as there was last season with more than a couple of teams that could win it. IMO, it has flipped right around and become very top heavy.  Newport and CovCath are really the only 2 teams I believe that can win it, with maybe a huge upset with Highlands, but I don't see anyone else able to hang with the top 2.  I thought last year there were 7 teams that wouldn't have surprised me if they came out of the 9th. Just not the case this season.

Cooper has plenty of talent to beat both, if they stay healthy.

I like Newport's starting 5 and they have the best player in the region but Cooper is right there with them and probably has better depth top to bottom. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Walter said:

I like Newport's starting 5 and they have the best player in the region but Cooper is right there with them and probably has better depth top to bottom. 

I like your thought process.  Also, can Newport's youth handle the pressure of having the target on their backs this year?

I hope so, but time will tell.

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

Is that enough to put Ryle over the top?

He knows how to develop kids. I know 2 kids off the top of my head Dylan Hammonds GC and Marvin Bryant BC and there is several others. He is a excellent coach that really works on the fundamentals!

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

I like your thought process.  Also, can Newport's youth handle the pressure of having the target on their backs this year?

I hope so, but time will tell.

From conversations I've had, Newport has looked really good this summer with the addition of the Taft transfer PG, DJ Jackson. The biggest question mark is how they replace Quez Miller. 

Tay Kinney is capable of averaging 20+ a night but I'm not sure that's what Snapp wants or needs out of him for Newport to be successful this year. 

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Cooper loses 5 of their top 7, and that's not counting Pouncy who will most likely miss most of the season. Counting Pouncy that will be 6 of their top 8. I'm not sure 2 guys is enough horses to beat Newport, CovCath, or Highlands. If you want to put them 4th I can live with it, and I guess if anyone will have them ready it would be Sully. I can't agree with Cooper being right there with them though. Definitely not better depth top to bottom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walter said:

From conversations I've had, Newport has looked really good this summer with the addition of the Taft transfer PG, DJ Jackson. The biggest question mark is how they replace Quez Miller. 

Tay Kinney is capable of averaging 20+ a night but I'm not sure that's what Snapp wants or needs out of him for Newport to be successful this year. 

Anderson and Turner will have to step forward.

I don’t think they can replace Miller, for what he did with the ball, with his back to the basket, rebounding and many other aspects of the game. I think the biggest thing they will need to do is take the workload/scoring off the Kinney kid, I think  the Taft transfer DJ Jackson and the Covington kid can do so. The one thing I wonder is will they be able to rebound without the presence of Miller doing the majority of the rebounding outside of James Turner. My opinion is James Turner is going to have to be tougher and stronger to pick that slack up. 

1 hour ago, Hoops Junkie said:

Cooper loses 5 of their top 7, and that's not counting Pouncy who will most likely miss most of the season. Counting Pouncy that will be 6 of their top 8. I'm not sure 2 guys is enough horses to beat Newport, CovCath, or Highlands. If you want to put them 4th I can live with it, and I guess if anyone will have them ready it would be Sully. I can't agree with Cooper being right there with them though. Definitely not better depth top to bottom.

"If they stay healthy" was the key part of my comment regarding Cooper.

A few unknowns, but with Rondon, Andy Johnson, Jordan Hampton, the three Pouncy boys, and Isaac Brown all returning they have a solid 7 man rotation to go compete with Newport, Covcath, and Highlands. 

We will see how things play out come February and March.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoops Junkie said:

5 of the top 7??  I will give you Lutz and Ollier, 2 starters and seniors that were intergral to Cooper's success last year.  Ajaezu was a key defensive player that came on at the end of season and in the tournament but was not consistently in the rotation night in and night out all season long.  Brooks missed virtually the entire season to injury in December so I am not sure you even count those 2 in the top 5 but your definiton of "top" may be different than mine.  

What Cooper will have returning is a fully healthy Shawn Pouncy who was virtually unstoppable in the two varsity games he played in before suffering his injury. Additonally, the youngest Pouncy will be a MAJOR problem that will have to be acounted for every night.  Lastly, Schilling, Isaac Brown, Jordan Hampton, Jakare Pouncy will provide more than enough depth along with probably 2 football players.  What Cooper does have is a darn good coach who gets the absolute best out of his players especially on the defensive end. They beat 2 of the 3 teams you listed as "Top 3" last year with less and lost to Newport twice by 2 points each.  I believe they'll be better this coming season and definitely will be more than the "2 horses" you described.

• Like 2