Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2023-2024 9th Region Discussion

Featured Replies

Let's use this thread as a catch-all for 9th Region boys' basketball updates, transfers, relocations, movement, etc. before the next school year.  Newport certainly looks like the team to beat heading into next season with their young crop of terrific players, but can Coach Snapp hold them together...and even add to them.  Cooper returns a lot from the Region runner-up team.  Can CovCath reload after losing Isparo.  What does Holy Cross cobble together after losing nearly everyone, including the state's two-time leading scorer, Jake Meyer.  What does Dave Faust have up his sleeve as SHDHS loses a huge senior class as well.

Should be a fun off-season for the 9th Region's version of the "most beautiful game"!  ?

 

  • Replies 38
  • Views 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Cooper has plenty of talent to beat both, if they stay healthy. I like Newport's starting 5 and they have the best player in the region but Cooper is right there with them and probably has better

  • throwback32
    throwback32

    Nathan Vinson will be one of the top 5 players in the 9th this year, and I’m writing that in pen.  Also, Highlands still has more than enough around him with Brayden Moeves and sophomore Vinny Listerm

Newport has added transfer from Taft in DJ Jackson, who last year averaged double figures in points and 8-9 assists a game. Heard he’s a tough defender and well as one of the best PG’s in the area. 

Ryle just hired a really good assistant coach Ty Simpson.

1 hour ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Ryle just hired a really good assistant coach Ty Simpson.

Is that enough to put Ryle over the top?

As much parity as there was last season with more than a couple of teams that could win it. IMO, it has flipped right around and become very top heavy.  Newport and CovCath are really the only 2 teams I believe that can win it, with maybe a huge upset with Highlands, but I don't see anyone else able to hang with the top 2.  I thought last year there were 7 teams that wouldn't have surprised me if they came out of the 9th. Just not the case this season.

15 minutes ago, Hoops Junkie said:

As much parity as there was last season with more than a couple of teams that could win it. IMO, it has flipped right around and become very top heavy.  Newport and CovCath are really the only 2 teams I believe that can win it, with maybe a huge upset with Highlands, but I don't see anyone else able to hang with the top 2.  I thought last year there were 7 teams that wouldn't have surprised me if they came out of the 9th. Just not the case this season.

Cooper has plenty of talent to beat both, if they stay healthy.

I like Newport's starting 5 and they have the best player in the region but Cooper is right there with them and probably has better depth top to bottom. 

42 minutes ago, Walter said:

Cooper has plenty of talent to beat both, if they stay healthy.

I like Newport's starting 5 and they have the best player in the region but Cooper is right there with them and probably has better depth top to bottom. 

I like your thought process.  Also, can Newport's youth handle the pressure of having the target on their backs this year?

  I hope so, but time will tell.

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

Is that enough to put Ryle over the top?

He knows how to develop kids. I know 2 kids off the top of my head Dylan Hammonds GC and Marvin Bryant BC and there is several others. He is a excellent coach that really works on the fundamentals!

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

I like your thought process.  Also, can Newport's youth handle the pressure of having the target on their backs this year?

  I hope so, but time will tell.

From conversations I've had, Newport has looked really good this summer with the addition of the Taft transfer PG, DJ Jackson. The biggest question mark is how they replace Quez Miller. 

Tay Kinney is capable of averaging 20+ a night but I'm not sure that's what Snapp wants or needs out of him for Newport to be successful this year. 

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Cooper has plenty of talent to beat both, if they stay healthy.

I like Newport's starting 5 and they have the best player in the region but Cooper is right there with them and probably has better depth top to bottom. 

Cooper loses 5 of their top 7, and that's not counting Pouncy who will most likely miss most of the season. Counting Pouncy that will be 6 of their top 8. I'm not sure 2 guys is enough horses to beat Newport, CovCath, or Highlands. If you want to put them 4th I can live with it, and I guess if anyone will have them ready it would be Sully. I can't agree with Cooper being right there with them though. Definitely not better depth top to bottom.

1 hour ago, Walter said:

From conversations I've had, Newport has looked really good this summer with the addition of the Taft transfer PG, DJ Jackson. The biggest question mark is how they replace Quez Miller. 

Tay Kinney is capable of averaging 20+ a night but I'm not sure that's what Snapp wants or needs out of him for Newport to be successful this year. 

Anderson and Turner will have to step forward.

I don’t think they can replace Miller, for what he did with the ball, with his back to the basket, rebounding and many other aspects of the game. I think the biggest thing they will need to do is take the workload/scoring off the Kinney kid, I think  the Taft transfer DJ Jackson and the Covington kid can do so. The one thing I wonder is will they be able to rebound without the presence of Miller doing the majority of the rebounding outside of James Turner. My opinion is James Turner is going to have to be tougher and stronger to pick that slack up. 

1 hour ago, Hoops Junkie said:

Cooper loses 5 of their top 7, and that's not counting Pouncy who will most likely miss most of the season. Counting Pouncy that will be 6 of their top 8. I'm not sure 2 guys is enough horses to beat Newport, CovCath, or Highlands. If you want to put them 4th I can live with it, and I guess if anyone will have them ready it would be Sully. I can't agree with Cooper being right there with them though. Definitely not better depth top to bottom.

"If they stay healthy" was the key part of my comment regarding Cooper.

A few unknowns, but with Rondon, Andy Johnson, Jordan Hampton, the three Pouncy boys, and Isaac Brown all returning they have a solid 7 man rotation to go compete with Newport, Covcath, and Highlands. 

We will see how things play out come February and March.

3 hours ago, Hoops Junkie said:

Cooper loses 5 of their top 7, and that's not counting Pouncy who will most likely miss most of the season. Counting Pouncy that will be 6 of their top 8. I'm not sure 2 guys is enough horses to beat Newport, CovCath, or Highlands. If you want to put them 4th I can live with it, and I guess if anyone will have them ready it would be Sully. I can't agree with Cooper being right there with them though. Definitely not better depth top to bottom.

5 of the top 7??  I will give you Lutz and Ollier, 2 starters and seniors that were intergral to Cooper's success last year.  Ajaezu was a key defensive player that came on at the end of season and in the tournament but was not consistently in the rotation night in and night out all season long.  Brooks missed virtually the entire season to injury in December so I am not sure you even count those 2 in the top 5 but your definiton of "top" may be different than mine.  

What Cooper will have returning is a fully healthy Shawn Pouncy who was virtually unstoppable in the two varsity games he played in before suffering his injury. Additonally, the youngest Pouncy will be a MAJOR problem that will have to be acounted for every night.  Lastly, Schilling, Isaac Brown, Jordan Hampton, Jakare Pouncy will provide more than enough depth along with probably 2 football players.  What Cooper does have is a darn good coach who gets the absolute best out of his players especially on the defensive end. They beat 2 of the 3 teams you listed as "Top 3" last year with less and lost to Newport twice by 2 points each.  I believe they'll be better this coming season and definitely will be more than the "2 horses" you described.

 

4 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

5 of the top 7??  I will give you Lutz and Ollier, 2 starters and seniors that were intergral to Cooper's success last year.  Ajaezu was a key defensive player that came on at the end of season and in the tournament but was not consistently in the rotation night in and night out all season long.  Brooks missed virtually the entire season to injury in December so I am not sure you even count those 2 in the top 5 but your definiton of "top" may be different than mine.  

What Cooper will have returning is a fully healthy Shawn Pouncy who was virtually unstoppable in the two varsity games he played in before suffering his injury. Additonally, the youngest Pouncy will be a MAJOR problem that will have to be acounted for every night.  Lastly, Schilling, Isaac Brown, Jordan Hampton, Jakare Pouncy will provide more than enough depth along with probably 2 football players.  What Cooper does have is a darn good coach who gets the absolute best out of his players especially on the defensive end. They beat 2 of the 3 teams you listed as "Top 3" last year with less and lost to Newport twice by 2 points each.  I believe they'll be better this coming season and definitely will be more than the "2 horses" you described.

 

Love the debate, please don't take this as discounting what Cooper can be, but here is what I know for sure.  Shawn Pouncy, if I am not mistaken, suffered a torn ACL in the region game. That injury usually takes 9-10 months to heal and sometimes as much as a year, even if its nine I think there will be some adjusting time and I am questioning the statement of "fully healthy Shawn Pouncy".  

I also know that the youngest Pouncy, Brown, Hampton, and Jakare Pouncy combined for 2.8ppg last year and have little to no varsity experience. Adding Ajaezu that averaged 3.8, and the 5 guys you mention are up to 6.6ppg combined. Not sure that is something you can blow away, or beat Newport and CovCath with yet, and to your point of missing Brooks for most of the season some of the guys you mentioned would have and should have had added opportunity to play more min.

Also, and if I am not mistaken, Schilling was a senior last year and won't be back.

Lastly, and again correct me if I am wrong, but didn't most of the guys you mentioned have to hit a shot at the buzzer to beat Holy Cross in the JV regional, and that was with Shawn Pouncy playing due to not yet being eligible. HC had 6 freshman and a sophomore. (I had to phone a friend on this one to make sure, so may not be exactly that way, but probably close). Can someone else confirm this?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.