8th Region Week 10 Review

By: Adrian Woj Burner

Review

Wow, what a fun week of basketball. 8th Region peeps on BGP were in full force all week, with some great conversations after every game, and I was all for it! The conversations were well needed, with some questionable losses, and some impressive wins.

Grant County was the talk of the region this week. Coming into the week they had a good record but struggled against tough competition. They seemed to have written their ship this week, inviting two of the top 10 teams in the state to Dry Ridge withing 24 hours, and won a game and competed in the other. They seemed to have figured some things out and are right back in the talks for the regional title!

We have a few teams plummeting on each level of the region, the main team being Oldham County. They had a tough week with 3 very solid opponents and were looking to build some momentum going into the post-season but lost all 3.

We have had some great competition the past few weeks within the region, and it does not appear to be slowing down this coming up week.

I hope that everyone in the 8th Region community continues to be as active as they have been recently, as it is a pleasure to have great discussions with each one of you!

District Standings 

*= Clinched

29th District

1: North Oldham (2-0) *

2: Oldham County (1-1) *

3: South Oldham (0-2) *

30th District

1: Spencer County (3-1) *

2: Woodford County (3-1) *

3: Anderson County (2-2) *

4: Collins (2-2) *

5: Shelby County (0-4) *

31st District

1: Owen County (9-0) *

T-2: Eminence (5-4)

T-2: Gallatin County (5-4)

4: Trimble County (4-5)

5: Carroll County (3-6)

6: Henry County (1-8) * 

32nd District

1: Simon Kenton (3-0) *

2: Walton-Verona (1-1)

3: Grant County (1-1)

4: Williamstown (0-3) *

1,000-Point Scorers

I know that within the last week we have had Max Green, Josh Ruzanka and Colton Feagan join the 1,000-point club, I am not sure if anyone else has this week.

Also, please drop who all (currently on an 8th Region roster) is a part of the 1,000-point club, I am curious as to how many we have currently. If anyone is close to the accomplishment, please drop them below as well!

Player of the Week

This week’s player of the week was a mix between Dylan Hammonds, Teagan Moore, and Colton Feagan. Both Feagan and Hammonds had phenomenal weeks, but I decided to end up going with Dylan Hammonds. In Grant Counties 3 games this week, Hammonds averaged 27.7 ppg while grabbing 11 rpg. This includes a 40-point performance in a blowout win vs Ryle, and a win over the #6 team in the state.

Game of the Week

I decided to bring yet another segment to the weekly reviews. This week will be Grant County vs Walton-Verona. The game is Wednesday February 8th at Walton-Verona High School. I am looking forward to this game, as it is a little preview of what we will see in a few weeks in the first round of the 32nd District tournament. I am interested to see how Hammonds performs against a fairly small Walton-Verona team, and how Grant County will match up defensively against the 5 sharpshooters that the Bearcats put on the floor. 

Rankings

Alright, here we go. I took a lot of thought and time into this week, moved a ton of teams around multiple times, but this will be the final product. I am not convinced that I will even have the same rankings by the end up the write-up.

1 – North Oldham Mustangs (20-5)

Like I said last week, another week and another one that North Oldham stays #1 in the region. Currently, they are ranked on BGP as the #4 team in the state and have not slowed down recently. Since 2023 rang, the Mustangs have not lost a game and are on a 9-game winning streak.

They started off the week hosting DeSales and came out winning 64-52. Dallas Roberts led the team with 19 points, Ian Higson had 14, and Luke Anderson notched a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.

On Friday night they travelled up to Dry Ridge to play Grant County and squeezed out a close one winning 53-47. Roberts again led scoring 16 points, and Higdon followed with 15.

They will only play one game this week, but it is not going to be an easy one.

This Week: 2/7 at Spencer County

2 – Collins Titans (21-3)

Along with North Oldham at the #1 spot, the Titans have held the #2 position I believe since I took over the rankings in week 3 of the season. There has been no movement in the top-2 in forever, but everything below that has shifted weekly. The Titans bounced back this week after losing a tough one to Woodford County last week and won all 3 of their matchups. The Titans have won 7 of their last 8 games.

They started off the week traveling to Buckner to play Oldham County, in what everyone expected to be a good matchup. Collins came out ready to go from the tip, and in dominating fashion won 83-51. Senior guard Kenyon Goodin led with 27 points, Isiah Cochran followed with 19, and Cole Harbin was right behind him with 18. The team was astonishing from 3 going 10/19.

Next, they hosted inter-county rival Shelby County. This matchup was tight for all 32 minutes when they met earlier in the season, but that was not the case this time. The Titans won 64-26. Quintin Simmons led with 14, Cochran had 13, and Goodin had 12.

To end the week, they traveled to the Owensboro SportsCenter and played Ohio County, winning 58-49. Stats are not posted for the game.

This Week: 2/7 vs St. Xavier     2/11 vs #17 Trinity (6:00)

3 – Grant County Braves (21-5)

Wow, what a week for the Braves. I am not a huge guy on sympathy losses, but the one loss they had this week is well deserved, especially after knocking off the team they did the very next night. I would not be surprised if they join Collins and North Oldham and crack the BGP top-20 teams in the state tomorrow.

They started off hosting Ryle. They defeated the Raiders 84-69, and Dylan Hammonds had an absolute dominance of a performance. He ended the game with 40 points and 13 rebounds. Despite their win, the team was only 1/10 from behind the arc.

On Friday night is where the fun starts. The Braves were coming into the game undefeated at home and hosted the #1 team in the region and #4 team in the state North Oldham. They played them close the entire came but wound up just short losing 47-53. Hammonds and Spencer Breeden both had 18 points and the team struggled from 3 again going 1/9. They were also only 34.9% from the field. With those stats, losing to North Oldham by the amount they did is impressive.

Within 24 hours they turned around and hosted the #6 team in the state Great Crossing. This time they closed it out and pulled off the huge upset winning 61-55. Hammonds again led with 25 points and 10 rebounds, and Breeden had 14.

They will have the deciding game on the 2-seed and 3-seed this week coming up.

This Week: 2/8 at Walton-Verona 2/10 at Shelby County

4 – Simon Kenton Pioneers (16-8)

I was really torn between Grant County and Simon Kenton with the 3 and 4 spot in the region, moved them around multiple times but wound-up moving SK down to the #4 slot. While saying this, they defeated the Braves and have a lot higher chance of making the region than them.

They started the week hosting a very solid Lloyd Memorial squad. They wound up losing the game but were led by Travis Krohman with 18 points. 7-footer Gabe Dynes only had 4 points but attempted just 2 field goals. Cannot necessarily figure out how a 7-footer only gets 2 shots in a high school basketball game.

They turned around Friday night and won a big game at Oldham County 62-50. Isaac Gabbard had 18, Krohman had 17, and Dynes notched a double-double with 12 and 12.

The Pioneers do not have an easy schedule to close out the season and would be huge for their team if they can pick up a couple wins against some good competition.

This Week: 2/7 at Campbell County 2/10 at Scott 2/11 at #10 Mason County

5 – Owen County Rebels (18-7)

This last week and week coming up the Rebels are facing all their district opponents for the 2nd time this season, giving them a high chance of getting on a decent winning streak going into the postseason. After finishing their matchups against district opponents, they will face 3 regional teams all in different positions in the rankings.

They started off the week at Carroll County, winning 84-63. Teagan Moore led with 27 points on 16 shot attempts while grabbing 13 rebounds and Micah Shelton was right behind him with 25 points going 5/12 from 3.

Next, they hosted a relatively hot team in Eminence. They came out on top, winning 77-47. Moore had another game below his average, scoring 24 points on 14 shots while grabbing 14 rebounds. Shelton and Brax Ward picked up his “slack” with 18 by Shelton and 16 from Ward.

This Week: 2/6 at Trimble County 2/9 vs Williamstown 2/10 at Anderson County

6 – Spencer County Bears (18-6)

The Bears had another successful week going 3-0 and are now on a 6-game winning streak. They have some great momentum going into a tough battle this week.

They started off at a sneaky South Oldham team, someone capable of knocking off anyone if they are hot from 3. The Bears held them off and won 81-65. Luke Erhardt had another monstrous game with 37 points, and Camden Cox had 14.

They then hosted North Hardin, winning 76-48. Cox led the squad with 24, and Erhardt followed with 22 of his own. The team made 11 threes, but it was on 38 attempts putting them at 28.9% from behind the arc on the game.

The next day they hosted Gallatin County, and despite an off game from their dynamic duo, they won 77-55. Erhardt and Cox only had 18 points combined, but Keaton Baird (18) and Andrew Barron (16) led the team.

They will need every bit of their momentum this week, hosting a team that has been on a role.

This Week: 2/7 vs #4North Oldham 2/10 at Walton-Verona

7 – Woodford County Yellow Jackets (12-11)

Woodford County had high hopes going into the week playing some tough competition but dropped 2 of their 3 games.

They started the week at #14 Evangel Christian and lost 54-75. The team had no one over 11 points, with Makhi Smith, Santonio Wade, and Jasper Johnson all scoring 11.

They picked up their only win of the week against Henry Clay, winning 52-43. Smith led with 16, and Juante Jenkings and Layton Starks both had 12. Jasper Johnson did not play.

Next, they hosted #12 Frederick Douglass, and lost 53-61. Stats are not posted for this game, but I am interested to know is Johnson played in this game. If he did not, this loss is not bad at all.

This Week: 2/6 vs Western Hills 2/11 at Harrison County

8 – Walton-Verona Bearcats (16-9)

Along with many other teams in the region, they played multiple teams ranked top-20 in the state last week. They went 1-2 and gave up a ton of points in each game.

They started off the week at #10 Mason County. They Bearcats lost the game 75-88. Aaron Gutman led the Bearcats with 21 points, Julian Dixon followed with 18. The team was 8/16 from behind the arc.

Next, they hosted a good Bracken County squad. They came out on top scoring 96 points in a 96-85 win. Stats are not posted for the game.

On Saturday they got an extremely cool opportunity to face Holy Cross (Covington) in the famous Hoosier Gym from the movie Hoosiers. Despite the once in a lifetime experience, they lost 81-98. Stats are not posted for this game as well.

They have 2 very big games coming up, and I am curious to see how they perform against the tough competition.

This Week: 2/8 vs Grant County 2/10 vs Spencer County 2/11 at Henry County

9 – Oldham County Colonels (12-12)

Well, just when we thought Oldham County was starting to jell just at the right time, they took a huge step in the wrong direction this week. They had 2 inner regional games that were huge for them, and if they would have won just one of them, they would have proved they are legit. However, they did not do that and lost another game as well putting them at 0-3 on the week.

They started the week hosting #15 Collins and lost in blowout fashion 51-83. Luke Amburgey and Max Green both had 14 points.

Next, they hosted Simon Kenton and lost 50-62. Abram Stinebruner led with 19, and Green had 14 again.

On Saturday they traveled north to face Lloyd Memorial, losing their 3rd consecutive game 62-75. Green got back on track, scoring 30 points, and Amburgey assisted with 14.

This Week: 2/7 vs Doss 2/9 at Gallatin County 2/11 vs Jeffersontown

10 – Anderson County Bearcats (17-7)

After their upset against #15 Collins, we assumed that the Bearcats were the real deal, but they heavily regressed last week, and lost their only contest this week.

They traveled to play Western Hills and lost 41-51. Stats are not posted for the game.

This Week: 2/6 at Franklin County 2/10 vs Owen County

11 – South Oldham Dragons (12-11)

The Dragons just as I expected went 2-1 on the week. In their 2 wins they averaged 87.5 points and went 44.1% from behind the arc.

They started the week losing 65-81 to Spencer County. Tate Holbrook led with 15, and William Burnside and Julian Miles both had 12.

South went on to defeat Kentucky Country Day 82-48. Jake Fithian and Christian Veirs both scored 19, and Miles followed with 17. With this win, coach Steve Simpson grabbed his 500th win of his career. Simpson is currently the winningest active coach in the region. 500 wins is a huge accomplishment, congrats coach!

The Dragons ended the week with a 93-52 win over Trimble County. They had 5 players in double figured led by Holbrook (18), Miles (17), and Touro (16).

This Week: 2/6 at DeSales 2/11 vs Gallatin County

12 – Eminence Warriors (13-10)

In the mediocre group of the region, Eminence has by far been the surprise of the season. No one knew what to expect with a new coach and the loss of some key contributors, however they are sitting at 13-10, tied for the #2 seed in the 31st District, and are on pace for a winning record.

They started the week against rival Henry County, coming out with a 68-53 win. Josh Ruzanka led with 22 points, and Avery Holland followed with 18.

Next, they traveled to Owen County and lost 47-77. Stats are not posted for the game.               

This Week: 2/6 vs Carroll County 2/9 at Highlands Latin 2/10 at Whitefield Academy

13 – Williamstown Demons (12-12)

The Demons had a decent week, going 2-1 but losing a game to a struggling Boone County team.

They started off at Bellevue, winning 85-63. Colton Feagan led with 31 points, and Honore Yangoua followed with 26.

Next, they traveled to face a 3-17 Boone County team. Surprisingly, they lost, and it wasn’t even a close game, final score 58-76. C Feagan again led with 28 points, and Yangoua followed with 13.

Williamstown closed out the week with a 62-58 win over a good Sayre team. C Feagan again led with 30 and Yangoua was behind him with 19.

Feagan had a phenomenal week, averaging 29.7 ppg and got his 1000 career point as a junior. In his last 10 games, he is averaging 24.2 ppg.

This Week: 2/9 at Shelby County 2/11 at Trimble County

14 – Gallatin County Wildcats  (10-14)

The Cats bounced back well this week winning 2 all-important district seeding games, tying them for the #2 seed in the 31st district. Assuming both them and Eminence win their last district game, a coin toss will decide the #2 and #3 seeds in the district.

They started off hosting Trimble County and won 69-56. Kellen Dossett led with 24 points and Andrew Brinker assisted with 15 points.

They went on to defeat rival Carroll County 71-48. Kasen Baker had 15, Matthew Griffin and Dossett both had 14.

On Saturday they lost 55-77 to a tough Spencer County team. Griffin has 23, and Dossett had 19. The team was an impressive 21/28 from the line.

This Week: 2/6 vs Henry County 2/9 vs Oldham County 2/11 at South Oldham 

15 – Shelby County Rockets (9-14)

Since their incredibly hot start to the season, the Rockets have plummeted as of late.  Currently they are on a 5-game winning streak and are 1-7 in their last 8 games.

They started the week with a 26-64 loss to inter-county rival Collins. They went on to lost 69-82 to Lafayette. Stats are not posted for either game.

This Week: 2/7 vs Williamstown 2/10 vs Grant County

16 – Trimble County Raiders (12-12)

They lost a tough one this week putting them in the #4 spot for the 31st District. This puts them on the same kind as Owen County, lowering their chances of making for first regional appearance in what feels like forever.

They started with a 56-69 loss to Gallatin County. Ethan Horn led with 25.

Trimble County bounced back with a 56-53 win over district opponent Henry County. JT Wilcoxson led with 22 points.

Next, they had a 53-93 blowout loss to South Oldham, stats are not posted for the game.

This Week: 2/6 vs Owen County 2/8 vs Covington Latin 2/11 vs Williamstown

17 – Carroll County Panthers (6-16)

After the Panthers shocking 4-game winning streak, they cooled off a little bit this week.

Carroll County began the week with a 53-84 loss to Owen County. Braden Stephenson led with 19 points.

After that, they lost to district rival Gallatin County 48-71. Stephenson again led with 17 points.

Following back-to-back losses, they bounced back with a 59-56 win over Villa Madonna. Stats are not posted for the game.

This Week: 2/6 at Eminence 2/8 at Ludlow 2/11 at Pendleton County (2:30)

18 – Henry County Wildcats (3-21)

They started the week with a 53-68 loss to Eminence. Baylor Nolin led with 18 points.

Next, they traveled to Trimble County losing a close one 53-56. Nolin again led with 27.

This Week: 2/6 at Gallatin County 2/7 vs Mercer County 2/11 vs Walton-Verona

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

By: Adrian Woj Burner

Review

Wow, what a fun week of basketball. 8th Region peeps on BGP were in full force all week, with some great conversations after every game, and I was all for it! The conversations were well needed, with some questionable losses, and some impressive wins.

Grant County was the talk of the region this week. Coming into the week they had a good record but struggled against tough competition. They seemed to have written their ship this week, inviting two of the top 10 teams in the state to Dry Ridge withing 24 hours, and won a game and competed in the other. They seemed to have figured some things out and are right back in the talks for the regional title!

We have a few teams plummeting on each level of the region, the main team being Oldham County. They had a tough week with 3 very solid opponents and were looking to build some momentum going into the post-season but lost all 3.

We have had some great competition the past few weeks within the region, and it does not appear to be slowing down this coming up week.

I hope that everyone in the 8th Region community continues to be as active as they have been recently, as it is a pleasure to have great discussions with each one of you!

District Standings 

*= Clinched

29th District

1: North Oldham (2-0) *

2: Oldham County (1-1) *

3: South Oldham (0-2) *

30th District

1: Spencer County (3-1) *

2: Woodford County (3-1) *

3: Anderson County (2-2) *

4: Collins (2-2) *

5: Shelby County (0-4) *

31st District

1: Owen County (9-0) *

T-2: Eminence (5-4)

T-2: Gallatin County (5-4)

4: Trimble County (4-5)

5: Carroll County (3-6)

6: Henry County (1-8) * 

32nd District

1: Simon Kenton (3-0) *

2: Walton-Verona (1-1)

3: Grant County (1-1)

4: Williamstown (0-3) *

1,000-Point Scorers

I know that within the last week we have had Max Green, Josh Ruzanka and Colton Feagan join the 1,000-point club, I am not sure if anyone else has this week.

Also, please drop who all (currently on an 8th Region roster) is a part of the 1,000-point club, I am curious as to how many we have currently. If anyone is close to the accomplishment, please drop them below as well!

Player of the Week

This week’s player of the week was a mix between Dylan Hammonds, Teagan Moore, and Colton Feagan. Both Feagan and Hammonds had phenomenal weeks, but I decided to end up going with Dylan Hammonds. In Grant Counties 3 games this week, Hammonds averaged 27.7 ppg while grabbing 11 rpg. This includes a 40-point performance in a blowout win vs Ryle, and a win over the #6 team in the state.

Game of the Week

I decided to bring yet another segment to the weekly reviews. This week will be Grant County vs Walton-Verona. The game is Wednesday February 8th at Walton-Verona High School. I am looking forward to this game, as it is a little preview of what we will see in a few weeks in the first round of the 32nd District tournament. I am interested to see how Hammonds performs against a fairly small Walton-Verona team, and how Grant County will match up defensively against the 5 sharpshooters that the Bearcats put on the floor. 

Rankings

Alright, here we go. I took a lot of thought and time into this week, moved a ton of teams around multiple times, but this will be the final product. I am not convinced that I will even have the same rankings by the end up the write-up.

1 – North Oldham Mustangs (20-5)

Like I said last week, another week and another one that North Oldham stays #1 in the region. Currently, they are ranked on BGP as the #4 team in the state and have not slowed down recently. Since 2023 rang, the Mustangs have not lost a game and are on a 9-game winning streak.

They started off the week hosting DeSales and came out winning 64-52. Dallas Roberts led the team with 19 points, Ian Higson had 14, and Luke Anderson notched a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.

On Friday night they travelled up to Dry Ridge to play Grant County and squeezed out a close one winning 53-47. Roberts again led scoring 16 points, and Higdon followed with 15.

They will only play one game this week, but it is not going to be an easy one.

This Week: 2/7 at Spencer County

2 – Collins Titans (21-3)

Along with North Oldham at the #1 spot, the Titans have held the #2 position I believe since I took over the rankings in week 3 of the season. There has been no movement in the top-2 in forever, but everything below that has shifted weekly. The Titans bounced back this week after losing a tough one to Woodford County last week and won all 3 of their matchups. The Titans have won 7 of their last 8 games.

They started off the week traveling to Buckner to play Oldham County, in what everyone expected to be a good matchup. Collins came out ready to go from the tip, and in dominating fashion won 83-51. Senior guard Kenyon Goodin led with 27 points, Isiah Cochran followed with 19, and Cole Harbin was right behind him with 18. The team was astonishing from 3 going 10/19.

Next, they hosted inter-county rival Shelby County. This matchup was tight for all 32 minutes when they met earlier in the season, but that was not the case this time. The Titans won 64-26. Quintin Simmons led with 14, Cochran had 13, and Goodin had 12.

To end the week, they traveled to the Owensboro SportsCenter and played Ohio County, winning 58-49. Stats are not posted for the game.

This Week: 2/7 vs St. Xavier     2/11 vs #17 Trinity (6:00)

3 – Grant County Braves (21-5)

Wow, what a week for the Braves. I am not a huge guy on sympathy losses, but the one loss they had this week is well deserved, especially after knocking off the team they did the very next night. I would not be surprised if they join Collins and North Oldham and crack the BGP top-20 teams in the state tomorrow.

They started off hosting Ryle. They defeated the Raiders 84-69, and Dylan Hammonds had an absolute dominance of a performance. He ended the game with 40 points and 13 rebounds. Despite their win, the team was only 1/10 from behind the arc.

On Friday night is where the fun starts. The Braves were coming into the game undefeated at home and hosted the #1 team in the region and #4 team in the state North Oldham. They played them close the entire came but wound up just short losing 47-53. Hammonds and Spencer Breeden both had 18 points and the team struggled from 3 again going 1/9. They were also only 34.9% from the field. With those stats, losing to North Oldham by the amount they did is impressive.

Within 24 hours they turned around and hosted the #6 team in the state Great Crossing. This time they closed it out and pulled off the huge upset winning 61-55. Hammonds again led with 25 points and 10 rebounds, and Breeden had 14.

They will have the deciding game on the 2-seed and 3-seed this week coming up.

This Week: 2/8 at Walton-Verona 2/10 at Shelby County

4 – Simon Kenton Pioneers (16-8)

I was really torn between Grant County and Simon Kenton with the 3 and 4 spot in the region, moved them around multiple times but wound-up moving SK down to the #4 slot. While saying this, they defeated the Braves and have a lot higher chance of making the region than them.

They started the week hosting a very solid Lloyd Memorial squad. They wound up losing the game but were led by Travis Krohman with 18 points. 7-footer Gabe Dynes only had 4 points but attempted just 2 field goals. Cannot necessarily figure out how a 7-footer only gets 2 shots in a high school basketball game.

They turned around Friday night and won a big game at Oldham County 62-50. Isaac Gabbard had 18, Krohman had 17, and Dynes notched a double-double with 12 and 12.

The Pioneers do not have an easy schedule to close out the season and would be huge for their team if they can pick up a couple wins against some good competition.

This Week: 2/7 at Campbell County 2/10 at Scott 2/11 at #10 Mason County

5 – Owen County Rebels (18-7)

This last week and week coming up the Rebels are facing all their district opponents for the 2nd time this season, giving them a high chance of getting on a decent winning streak going into the postseason. After finishing their matchups against district opponents, they will face 3 regional teams all in different positions in the rankings.

They started off the week at Carroll County, winning 84-63. Teagan Moore led with 27 points on 16 shot attempts while grabbing 13 rebounds and Micah Shelton was right behind him with 25 points going 5/12 from 3.

Next, they hosted a relatively hot team in Eminence. They came out on top, winning 77-47. Moore had another game below his average, scoring 24 points on 14 shots while grabbing 14 rebounds. Shelton and Brax Ward picked up his “slack” with 18 by Shelton and 16 from Ward.

This Week: 2/6 at Trimble County 2/9 vs Williamstown 2/10 at Anderson County

6 – Spencer County Bears (18-6)

The Bears had another successful week going 3-0 and are now on a 6-game winning streak. They have some great momentum going into a tough battle this week.

They started off at a sneaky South Oldham team, someone capable of knocking off anyone if they are hot from 3. The Bears held them off and won 81-65. Luke Erhardt had another monstrous game with 37 points, and Camden Cox had 14.

They then hosted North Hardin, winning 76-48. Cox led the squad with 24, and Erhardt followed with 22 of his own. The team made 11 threes, but it was on 38 attempts putting them at 28.9% from behind the arc on the game.

The next day they hosted Gallatin County, and despite an off game from their dynamic duo, they won 77-55. Erhardt and Cox only had 18 points combined, but Keaton Baird (18) and Andrew Barron (16) led the team.

They will need every bit of their momentum this week, hosting a team that has been on a role.

This Week: 2/7 vs #4North Oldham 2/10 at Walton-Verona

7 – Woodford County Yellow Jackets (12-11)

Woodford County had high hopes going into the week playing some tough competition but dropped 2 of their 3 games.

They started the week at #14 Evangel Christian and lost 54-75. The team had no one over 11 points, with Makhi Smith, Santonio Wade, and Jasper Johnson all scoring 11.

They picked up their only win of the week against Henry Clay, winning 52-43. Smith led with 16, and Juante Jenkings and Layton Starks both had 12. Jasper Johnson did not play.

Next, they hosted #12 Frederick Douglass, and lost 53-61. Stats are not posted for this game, but I am interested to know is Johnson played in this game. If he did not, this loss is not bad at all.

This Week: 2/6 vs Western Hills 2/11 at Harrison County

8 – Walton-Verona Bearcats (16-9)

Along with many other teams in the region, they played multiple teams ranked top-20 in the state last week. They went 1-2 and gave up a ton of points in each game.

They started off the week at #10 Mason County. They Bearcats lost the game 75-88. Aaron Gutman led the Bearcats with 21 points, Julian Dixon followed with 18. The team was 8/16 from behind the arc.

Next, they hosted a good Bracken County squad. They came out on top scoring 96 points in a 96-85 win. Stats are not posted for the game.

On Saturday they got an extremely cool opportunity to face Holy Cross (Covington) in the famous Hoosier Gym from the movie Hoosiers. Despite the once in a lifetime experience, they lost 81-98. Stats are not posted for this game as well.

They have 2 very big games coming up, and I am curious to see how they perform against the tough competition.

This Week: 2/8 vs Grant County 2/10 vs Spencer County 2/11 at Henry County

9 – Oldham County Colonels (12-12)

Well, just when we thought Oldham County was starting to jell just at the right time, they took a huge step in the wrong direction this week. They had 2 inner regional games that were huge for them, and if they would have won just one of them, they would have proved they are legit. However, they did not do that and lost another game as well putting them at 0-3 on the week.

They started the week hosting #15 Collins and lost in blowout fashion 51-83. Luke Amburgey and Max Green both had 14 points.

Next, they hosted Simon Kenton and lost 50-62. Abram Stinebruner led with 19, and Green had 14 again.

On Saturday they traveled north to face Lloyd Memorial, losing their 3rd consecutive game 62-75. Green got back on track, scoring 30 points, and Amburgey assisted with 14.

This Week: 2/7 vs Doss 2/9 at Gallatin County 2/11 vs Jeffersontown

10 – Anderson County Bearcats (17-7)

After their upset against #15 Collins, we assumed that the Bearcats were the real deal, but they heavily regressed last week, and lost their only contest this week.

They traveled to play Western Hills and lost 41-51. Stats are not posted for the game.

This Week: 2/6 at Franklin County 2/10 vs Owen County

11 – South Oldham Dragons (12-11)

The Dragons just as I expected went 2-1 on the week. In their 2 wins they averaged 87.5 points and went 44.1% from behind the arc.

They started the week losing 65-81 to Spencer County. Tate Holbrook led with 15, and William Burnside and Julian Miles both had 12.

South went on to defeat Kentucky Country Day 82-48. Jake Fithian and Christian Veirs both scored 19, and Miles followed with 17. With this win, coach Steve Simpson grabbed his 500th win of his career. Simpson is currently the winningest active coach in the region. 500 wins is a huge accomplishment, congrats coach!

The Dragons ended the week with a 93-52 win over Trimble County. They had 5 players in double figured led by Holbrook (18), Miles (17), and Touro (16).

This Week: 2/6 at DeSales 2/11 vs Gallatin County

12 – Eminence Warriors (13-10)

In the mediocre group of the region, Eminence has by far been the surprise of the season. No one knew what to expect with a new coach and the loss of some key contributors, however they are sitting at 13-10, tied for the #2 seed in the 31st District, and are on pace for a winning record.

They started the week against rival Henry County, coming out with a 68-53 win. Josh Ruzanka led with 22 points, and Avery Holland followed with 18.

Next, they traveled to Owen County and lost 47-77. Stats are not posted for the game.               

This Week: 2/6 vs Carroll County 2/9 at Highlands Latin 2/10 at Whitefield Academy

13 – Williamstown Demons (12-12)

The Demons had a decent week, going 2-1 but losing a game to a struggling Boone County team.

They started off at Bellevue, winning 85-63. Colton Feagan led with 31 points, and Honore Yangoua followed with 26.

Next, they traveled to face a 3-17 Boone County team. Surprisingly, they lost, and it wasn’t even a close game, final score 58-76. C Feagan again led with 28 points, and Yangoua followed with 13.

Williamstown closed out the week with a 62-58 win over a good Sayre team. C Feagan again led with 30 and Yangoua was behind him with 19.

Feagan had a phenomenal week, averaging 29.7 ppg and got his 1000 career point as a junior. In his last 10 games, he is averaging 24.2 ppg.

This Week: 2/9 at Shelby County 2/11 at Trimble County

14 – Gallatin County Wildcats  (10-14)

The Cats bounced back well this week winning 2 all-important district seeding games, tying them for the #2 seed in the 31st district. Assuming both them and Eminence win their last district game, a coin toss will decide the #2 and #3 seeds in the district.

They started off hosting Trimble County and won 69-56. Kellen Dossett led with 24 points and Andrew Brinker assisted with 15 points.

They went on to defeat rival Carroll County 71-48. Kasen Baker had 15, Matthew Griffin and Dossett both had 14.

On Saturday they lost 55-77 to a tough Spencer County team. Griffin has 23, and Dossett had 19. The team was an impressive 21/28 from the line.

This Week: 2/6 vs Henry County 2/9 vs Oldham County 2/11 at South Oldham 

15 – Shelby County Rockets (9-14)

Since their incredibly hot start to the season, the Rockets have plummeted as of late.  Currently they are on a 5-game winning streak and are 1-7 in their last 8 games.

They started the week with a 26-64 loss to inter-county rival Collins. They went on to lost 69-82 to Lafayette. Stats are not posted for either game.

This Week: 2/7 vs Williamstown 2/10 vs Grant County

16 – Trimble County Raiders (12-12)

They lost a tough one this week putting them in the #4 spot for the 31st District. This puts them on the same kind as Owen County, lowering their chances of making for first regional appearance in what feels like forever.

They started with a 56-69 loss to Gallatin County. Ethan Horn led with 25.

Trimble County bounced back with a 56-53 win over district opponent Henry County. JT Wilcoxson led with 22 points.

Next, they had a 53-93 blowout loss to South Oldham, stats are not posted for the game.

This Week: 2/6 vs Owen County 2/8 vs Covington Latin 2/11 vs Williamstown

17 – Carroll County Panthers (6-16)

After the Panthers shocking 4-game winning streak, they cooled off a little bit this week.

Carroll County began the week with a 53-84 loss to Owen County. Braden Stephenson led with 19 points.

After that, they lost to district rival Gallatin County 48-71. Stephenson again led with 17 points.

Following back-to-back losses, they bounced back with a 59-56 win over Villa Madonna. Stats are not posted for the game.

This Week: 2/6 at Eminence 2/8 at Ludlow 2/11 at Pendleton County (2:30)

18 – Henry County Wildcats (3-21)

They started the week with a 53-68 loss to Eminence. Baylor Nolin led with 18 points.

Next, they traveled to Trimble County losing a close one 53-56. Nolin again led with 27.

This Week: 2/6 at Gallatin County 2/7 vs Mercer County 2/11 vs Walton-Verona

Yes, Jasper Johnson did play against Fred Douglas, pretty much a non factor.  I was at the game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wingt51 said:

Gonna be a good one in Taylorsville on Tuesday night. Very excited to see how the Bears stack up with North Oldham. Have a feeling you're gonna have to get there early to get a seat.

If you can’t make it Taylorsville tomorrow night for Spencer vs N. Oldham,  myself and John Hutchins will be bringing you the game live on the GHP-Sports YouTube channel. https://youtube.com/@GHPSPORTS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oldham County vs. Jeffersontown Saturday 2/11 - Pegasus Sports will cover this game, which may be very interesting.   Both teams are hovering around the .500 mark, but both have some solid wins over very good teams - and some head-scratching losses.

Pregame at 7 pm ET Saturday on www.pegasussportsky.com

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LCDAWGS19 said:

Question...

How is there a 3 team district in a region with a 5 team and a 6 team district??Why not move someone to balance this out?

Probably because no small school from the 31st wants to be in with the OC schools.  Henry County would make the most sense to be in the 29th.

• Like 2

I read some comments, and my eyes roll back so far in my head, I think I've entered another dimension.

I'm amazed at the number of people who want to rearrange the furniture in someone else's house. Balanced/even numbers of teams in Districts within a Region, or an even number of teams from Region to Region has never, ever, been "a thing."

There are more than a few three team districts in the state. Start filling in the nooks and crannies, starting out west, and you'll have teams in the 5th playing games in the Central Time Zone and some long, late drives home.

If you're in another Region and you're in a play-in District game, you've earned that spot. Is anybody really going to feel better if Trimble County goes back to the 29th and loses it's first post season game to an Oldham team by 50, or has a Benji hung on them? 

Coach Simpson just reached the 500 win milestone at South Oldham. If Trimble wasn't locked into mandated games, he'd have 27 fewer - not going to make it into the "Record Book." Let that sink in.

What if someone were to suggest moving Scott County and Great Crossing into the 10th? Trinity Christian is in Fayette County, a couple of miles from Tates Creek - they're playing in the 12th. Balance the 11th to 10th right?

Some people lost their minds when Woodford was able to move to the 8th after Douglass opened. Did anybody raise a peep when Estill got out of the 11th?

Is there some competitive balance rule that insists that all areas of the state be exactly the same? No. The KHSAA approved Jenkins moving back to the 14th, leaving the 15th with 14 teams. Who should we "make" move there?

The KHSAA has made it clear that 16 Region sports will have the same makeup not just for basketball, but also for - volleyball, soccer, baseball, and softball. I wonder how many admins and coaches are going to be in favor of a massive overhaul?

Someone on this board has volunteered to show the folks in Lexington how to do it. I eagerly await that draft proposal being presented on BGP.

✓ In this one case, it's just one District out of 64. It's just Trimble County. How important is this?

1 hour ago, Runcible Owl said:

I read some comments, and my eyes roll back so far in my head, I think I've entered another dimension.

I'm amazed at the number of people who want to rearrange the furniture in someone else's house. Balanced/even numbers of teams in Districts within a Region, or an even number of teams from Region to Region has never, ever, been "a thing."

There are more than a few three team districts in the state. Start filling in the nooks and crannies, starting out west, and you'll have teams in the 5th playing games in the Central Time Zone and some long, late drives home.

If you're in another Region and you're in a play-in District game, you've earned that spot. Is anybody really going to feel better if Trimble County goes back to the 29th and loses it's first post season game to an Oldham team by 50, or has a Benji hung on them? 

Coach Simpson just reached the 500 win milestone at South Oldham. If Trimble wasn't locked into mandated games, he'd have 27 fewer - not going to make it into the "Record Book." Let that sink in.

What if someone were to suggest moving Scott County and Great Crossing into the 10th? Trinity Christian is in Fayette County, a couple of miles from Tates Creek - they're playing in the 12th. Balance the 11th to 10th right?

Some people lost their minds when Woodford was able to move to the 8th after Douglass opened. Did anybody raise a peep when Estill got out of the 11th?

Is there some competitive balance rule that insists that all areas of the state be exactly the same? No. The KHSAA approved Jenkins moving back to the 14th, leaving the 15th with 14 teams. Who should we "make" move there?

The KHSAA has made it clear that 16 Region sports will have the same makeup not just for basketball, but also for - volleyball, soccer, baseball, and softball. I wonder how many admins and coaches are going to be in favor of a massive overhaul?

Someone on this board has volunteered to show the folks in Lexington how to do it. I eagerly await that draft proposal being presented on BGP.

✓ In this one case, it's just one District out of 64. It's just Trimble County. How important is this? 

Apparently important enough for you to write a novel about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That was a heck of a rant there “Owl.”  My answer would be how would you like someone to come into your house and rearrange your furniture for you without asking?  The 30th district was already tough then out of the blue Woodford is moved to the 8th and into the 30th with no other district in the 8th affected.  

• Like 1