8th Region Week 10 Review

37 minutes ago, Colonel-Rebel Fan said:

It’s amazing that Owen County has produced 2, Collins has a couple too. Any other school have D1 players from the 8th in the last 10 years?  Woodford will probably have 1 or 2 soon.

Has anybody heard where Hammonds is going?

I can't confirm, but heard Asbury.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SnottieDrippen said:

Dynes at SK, Miles at WV, probably AJ Slaughter from Shelby Co. outside of that. 

Players who went Division 1 ...   Since it looks like we are now looking at all the 8th over the last 15 or so years... besides the ones already mentioned, above...   just a few that popped into my mind...

Joe Griffin, South Oldham  (University of Louisville)

David Levitch, North Oldham (University of Louisville)

Donta Smith, Oldham County (signed with Univ of Louisville, went JUCO, then NBA)

Davion McKnight, Collins     (WKU)

Marcellus Vail, Collins      (Samford)

Dieonte Miles, Walton-Verona   (Xavier)

Mike Hester, Simon Kenton  (the current W-V coach was signed by Union College out of HS, but finished his career at D1 Northern Kentucky.   Small asterisk....NKU was a D2 power when Mike attended, but transitioned to D1 just a year or two later, starting in 2012).

The above doesn't include the 8th region basketballers like Sam Royalty of Henry County, who went Division 1 in football (EKU).

9 minutes ago, ColonelMike said:

Players who went Division 1 ...   Since it looks like we are now looking at all the 8th over the last 15 or so years... besides the ones already mentioned, above...   just a few that popped into my mind...

Donta Smith, Oldham County (signed with Univ of Louisville, went JUCO, then NBA)

Mike Hester, Simon Kenton  (the current W-V coach was signed by Union College out of HS, but finished his career at D1 Northern Kentucky.   Small asterisk....NKU was a D2 power when Mike attended, but transitioned to D1 just a year or two later, starting in 2012).

The above doesn't include the 8th region basketballers like Sam Royalty of Henry County, who went Division 1 in football (EKU).

Good work, thanks Mike.

5 minutes ago, ColonelMike said:

I've gone through this exercise before, but just for the Oldham County schools.  It's not promising.  There are a lot of very good high school basketball players, and there are really very few good enough to play D1.  Griffin and Levitch, for example, were walk-ons, not scholarship players.  You really have to find the right kid with the right skills and the right situation (both high school and college) for it to work, typically.  Someone like Donta Smith, the equation is different.  But there aren't many of those. 

In contrast, when I looked at the best baseball players in Oldham County, they were scholarship athletes at places like Kentucky, Louisville, Mississippi State - some really good programs.  So that's a different deal.  That said, I recall hearing about a kid who got a "scholarship" from Louisville, and then didn't make the team.  Which was a foreign concept to me (I'm used to basketball and football) - what do you mean he didn't make the team, they gave him a scholarship!?  That's when it was explained to me, in baseball schools might offer say 17 kids when they know they'll only keep 10.  Plus each kid only gets 1/4 scholarship, anyway.  So, it's not apples to oranges......

29 minutes ago, ColonelMike said:

Carson Williams of Owen Co and Davion McKnight of Collins were probably the most productive in college, both at WKU.

10 minutes ago, Colonel-Rebel Fan said:

Carson Williams of Owen Co and Davion McKnight of Collins were probably the most productive in college, both at WKU.

Williams spent his first 2 seasons at NKU. Scored 1,000 points in his college career, something not done very often at the college level. The last I knew he was pursuing an NFL career as a tight end, and was signed to the Raiders practice squad. He was cut from them, and I am unsure if he is still pursuing it or not. 

McKnight has been unreal for WKU the last couple season, and also has already scored 1,000 points for the 'Toppers. He also has 402 rebounds and 380 assists with a good amount left of this season, and next season. I am not sure if we will see him in the NBA, but the G-League is very doable from the Collins graduate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

Williams spent his first 2 seasons at NKU. Scored 1,000 points in his college career, something not done very often at the college level. The last I knew he was pursuing an NFL career as a tight end, and was signed to the Raiders practice squad. He was cut from them, and I am unsure if he is still pursuing it or not. 

McKnight has been unreal for WKU the last couple season, and also has already scored 1,000 points for the 'Toppers. He also has 402 rebounds and 380 assists with a good amount left of this season, and next season. I am not sure if we will see him in the NBA, but the G-League is very doable from the Collins graduate. 

The word on the street is Williams will become a Ky. State Trooper.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

He is a phenomenal high school player, his game just doesn't relate a ton to the college game and where it is at right now. 

That’s a joke.  Kid will definitely play college ball.  Colleges tend to want phenomenal high school players, some even want the great ones, some will also take the really good ones.  

40 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

That’s a joke.  Kid will definitely play college ball.  Colleges tend to want phenomenal high school players, some even want the great ones, some will also take the really good ones.  

He will definitely play yes, but not as much as other players at that scoring level. Take Kelly Neice from SK as an example of that, colleges are into crazy athletes with good basketball skill, not crazy basketball players with okay athleticism.

• Like 1