2023 Cincinnati Bengals

5 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

I started to say, hopefully the victim isn't a female.  Then I just read the article and sure enough it is.  If he is found guilty, his time with the Bengals should be done.  

I agree, if found guilty it is time to move on.

I would also think the NFL would come down pretty hard on him if found guilty so either way we probably need a RB. 

I searched google for NFL discipline history and the NY Times has a nice article on it.  Some highlights:

Adam (Pacman) Jones. Jones, a cornerback then with Tennessee, was suspended for the 2007 season after multiple arrests, including for his role in a fight at a strip club that led to three people being shot.

Donte’ Stallworth. After striking and killing a pedestrian in Miami Beach while driving drunk, Stallworth, then a receiver with Cleveland, was suspended for the entire 2009 season. He pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

Michael Vick. Vick, a former Atlanta quarterback, was indefinitely suspended in 2007 for his role in a dogfighting scandal. The suspension lasted two seasons; Vick was reinstated before the 2009 season after serving an 18-month prison sentence.

Ray Rice. Rice was initially suspended for two games by the N.F.L. after his arrest on domestic violence charges in July 2014. Two months later, after TMZ released a more graphic video of the assault that showed Rice knocking his fiancée unconscious in a hotel elevator, Baltimore released the running back and he was suspended indefinitely by the N.F.L. Rice was reinstated on Nov. 28, after the first 12 weeks of the 2014 season, but he was never signed by a team.

Josh Brent: For his role in the 2013 drunken driving death of a Dallas teammate, Brent, a defensive tackle, was suspended for 10 games of the 2014 season. He was also sentenced to 180 days in jail and 10 years of probation.

Antonio Brown. In 2020, the league suspended Brown, a receiver who was a free agent at the time, for sending threatening texts to a woman who accused him of sexual misconduct, and for his role in a dispute with a moving company employee. He pleaded no contest to burglary and battery charges and received two years of probation. Brown denied the sexual misconduct claim.

Terry (Tank) Johnson. Johnson, a defensive tackle then with Chicago, was suspended in 2007 after the police raided his home and found six unregistered firearms, a violation of his probation on an earlier gun charge.

Josh Brown. Brown, a kicker who had been suspended for one game in 2016 after admitting to the Giants that he abused his wife, was suspended for six more games in 2017 after documents released by the Washington State Police revealed he had written extensively about the abuse.

Ezekiel Elliott. Elliott, a star running back for Dallas, was suspended in 2017 after a league investigation into domestic violence allegations. An ex-girlfriend accused him of assaulting her five times in Columbus, Ohio, where he played at Ohio State. He was never criminally charged.

Ben Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger was initially handed a six-game suspension in 2010 after being accused of sexually assaulting a woman in a Georgia bar. He was not criminally charged and Goodell reduced the suspension to four games after an appeal. The Pittsburgh quarterback was the first player to be suspended under the league’s personal conduct policy without having been charged with a crime.

Greg Hardy. The N.F.L. suspended Hardy, a defensive end, for 10 games in 2015 for his role in a domestic-violence case. An arbitrator reduced the penalty to four games.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/nfl-suspensions.html

It is a great article and there are several more examples of suspensions but I tried to stick to the ones that involved criminal matters. 

Football wise I don't think this hurts the Bengals all that much.  Certainly it's a PR nightmare.

If he misses time from a league suspension or is found guilty and Cincy just cuts ties, Perine is a suitable option.  Maybe he can carry the load full time, if not, he's certainly capable to doing so until they find a replacement that can.

Whatever the outcome, let's hope Mixon get the help he needs to keep his impulses under control.

• Like 2

His agent said the charges will already be dropped by morning. 

With that said even before this incident, I had said they should cut him because of financial reasons. No way can you pay him over 10 million dollars next year. To many other guys to pay, can’t spend that much money on him. 

1 hour ago, The Raven said:

Whatever the outcome, let's hope Mixon get the help he needs to keep his impulses under control.

This.

40 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

His agent said the charges will already be dropped by morning. 

I hope so but what message does it all send then. 🤷‍♀️

2 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

Regardless if charges are dropped, did he pull a gun out and say what he’s accused of saying? If he did he needs to go, if not then he’s innocent and keep him if it can work out buisness wise.

I agree, we now know the Mixon defense, she was out for money and the police need to do better. With that in mind, please explain everything that happened, both sides of it, and we can all see what we think about it.  

Either way, I would move on from Mixon now.

From wlwt.com:

Court documents said on Jan. 21 in the 300 block of Walnut Street, Mixon allegedly pointed a firearm at the victim stating, "You should be popped in the face, I should shoot you, the police can' get me."

The Bengals traveled to New York on Jan. 21 to play the Buffalo Bills for the AFC divisional championship.

From 700wlw.com:

The request to drop the charge against Joe Mixon is coming from the city prosecutors office. Hamilton County Municipal Court Presiding Judge Curt Kissinger tells Newsradio 700 WLW that he will dismiss it but only after he is sure that the alleged victim in the case has been notified.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

From 700wlw.com:

The request to drop the charge against Joe Mixon is coming from the city prosecutors office. Hamilton County Municipal Court Presiding Judge Curt Kissinger tells Newsradio 700 WLW that he will dismiss it but only after he is sure that the alleged victim in the case has been notified.

Strange situation.