Heavy Hearted - Put My Dog Down

Kentucky Windage

I've had several dogs in the past, but this guy had my heart. He went throughout life thinking of himself as a lap dog. If I was working in the yard he'd never be more than 10 feet away from me. After a hard days work he was always the first to greet me. He enjoyed chasing the mail man, barking at Amazon trucks, and a cold beer on a hot summer night. 

For nearly 16 years this dog loved and lived with all of his heart. I've heard that when someone who you love dies, that a part of you dies with them. That's how I feel right now, like there's an emptiness in a spot that should be occupied with love. 

Remy, love you and goodbye friend! 

Screenshot_20230103-121854_Gallery.jpg

• Sad 3

Just now, theguru said:

What breed and how much did that big boy weigh?

I am sorry for your loss KW.  I have had several dogs, it is always tough. 

He was a German Short-haired Pointer. He weighted around 75 lbs when he was at his peak. 

He was always energetic and just generally a clown.

• Like 2

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that KW.

I resisted for years getting another dog because of the pain I went through as a child losing one of my dogs. It's incredibly selfish, I know. Finally gave in and got another dog in 2020 and he of course has my heart.

RIP, sweet Remy.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss. I have been through losing a dog 3 times now. Heartbreaking. Let your heart heal and then I would encourage you to find your next best friend. There is healing in that and it is a true testimony to Remy that he was so great you wanted another. 

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss.  It's never easy. I had to put ours down this past summer, and he was the best dog I've ever had.  It was extremely hard even though it was the best thing for him.  His collar sits on our shelf as a reminder.  We have since got another dog, which has helped everyone.  

• Like 1

My heartfelt condolences, man. I think putting a dog down is one of the worst things someone can go through. I think I've cried more for pet loss than I have for lost people. It gets better though when all those wonderful sepia-toned memories crowd out the awful end, especially if you want to get a new dog and it works out!

• Thanks 1